Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm having Chris Stambaugh build me a 5 string bass heavily inspired by this:

but 34" scale, a slightly different body style, Nordstrand dual coils, and tighter spacing (similar in feel to a 5-string stingray.)

I'm hoping and praying it's done by summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I believe my quest for a 5 string jazz with tight spacing has come to an end:

http://www.rondomusic.net/product744.html

SX's rule. :cool:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Crok: NICE. I had a really similar Sterling back in the day, great bass.

I got the SX 5-string jazz last week, and I think that's going to be my main axe until I get my stambaugh. I'm feeling a little...fretless at the moment though, so I think these guys are the next two basses on the plate.

Ibanez GWB35

NS Design WAV4 :fap:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh god oh god we're getting close

:flashfap:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Walter posted:

Finally finished, shipped, and received.

That looks absolutely incredible.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Just got these pictures from Chris Stambaugh. He should be finishing it up and sending it out by the end of the week! :fap:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 4, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DrChu posted:

This is the reason I got the Stingray HH, because I thought the second pickup could give me a nice variety of options, which it does except that it can't really pull off a Precision. In hindsight I should have spent a little more time with the HS version, that will do a Precision a at the expense of one of the Jazz-like tones. The options I'm looking into are either finding someone to trade straight-up for a HS, rewire the pickup selector on the HH, or sell the thing and buy a Jazz Bass (which gets enough of a Precision tone for me) and a regular Stingray later, or something like the L2000.

Honestly if you're looking for something that can do it all, get a Lakland 44/55-02. With the new Lakland pickups you can get a really good P, really good J, and really good 'Ray. I haven't heard anything else that can do those three as well.

The HS Ray can do a good P and a good Ray but the H pickup isn't back far enough to get a convincing Jazz bridge pickup burp going. And as far as the L2000 goes, it's versatile all right but it can't do a Jazz bass tone for poo poo stock*. It can do a decent P, a decent 'Ray, and a myriad of other tones but with no coil tap you're never going to get a J tone out of it. Also IMHO the preamp does not sound good at all.

*I say stock because it's always possible to rewire the parallel / series switch to be parallel / single or even parallel / single / series if you or your tech have the skill.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Woohoo, finally picked up an Aguilar DB750 for *cheap!* :D

Of course that means that my DB680, DB728, and AG500 are on the way out, but I don't need that many amps anyways right? :smith:

Now I just need to decide if keeping my GS412 is the best thing or if I should get another GS212. I'm trying to pare down to one amp with a modular speaker setup and I think just having a pair of GS212's would make the most sense but god drat is the GS412 awesome.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

In the old days when "PA system" meant "guy with a megaphone telling people not to eat the brown acid," yeah, you needed a huge cab to play a big room or stadium. Nowadays, you can certainly get by just going direct, but playing through a real live actual amp just always feels better. And a bigass cab just always feels even more... better.

I'd take a 1x15 & 4x10 over an 8x10 monolith, though. :butt:

Yeah, even on a big stage I need to have that rumble behind me, and the bigger the stage the bigger the cab.

Personally I like 4x12's more than 8x10's though. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Revvik posted:

my new Spider III 15 is worth every penny of its original $200 price tag, making the $100 I spent on it that much better.

$80 here at Guitar Center's Memorial Day sale. Best guitar amp I've ever owned!

Of course it's the best compared to the two Peavey Rage 158s I owned previously but hey I'm not a guitar player anyways!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Whee new amp day!

The DB750 on the right is new! :unsmith: Everything on the left is on the way out. :smith:

(I'm a bit of an Aguilar fan.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

uuunnnggggghhhh my Stambaugh finally came

:fap:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

I really have no idea but I'd guess it drop D's you.

:black101: Drop A's me. :black101:

Knobs are neck volume, bridge volume, passive tone, treble, mid, bass
Switches are coil tap, mid shift, and active / passive.

I can't recommend Chris enough. $2000 and an 11 month wait for that, and getting a whole lot crazier wouldn't cost you that much more.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Huh, I've never seen coil-taps on soapbars before. Cool deal man, looks like it'll play awesome.

They're dual coil Bart Classics. Not my favorite pickups in the world, but they'll do until the Nordstrand dual coils come in. :supaburn:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dr. Klas posted:

Warwick: That's a truly beautiful bass. Will you change your username now?

Thanks! I've been meaning to change my username for a long time - I started using this in 99 when I got my first Warwick, but it's almost two years since I sold my last one. I just can't think of anything else.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

WOO HOO!

On the left is the new addition. First "real" Fender. First P-bass. It's a MIM Precision Special Deluxe (Noiseless J pickup at the bridge, active preamp, and most importantly a Jazz width neck.) :dance:

I've been looking for this bass used for a long time and just happened to pop into a local music store over lunch. They had it at the exact price I was looking to pay for this thing used, plus threw in a new set of flats and knocked off a few bucks to boot.

:rock:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

I'll second this - I've got two of these stands (one for electric, one for acoustic) and they're far and away my favorite stands I've ever had.

Any idea if it'd fit a bass?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Finally got the right pickguard for my Stambaugh:

Now it just needs the right knobs and pickups. :sigh:

Oh also I got THIS little number a while ago:

Fender Precision Special Deluxe. With flats. It KILLS.

(and yes, the frontman in that band IS wearing a dark Spiderman costume, why do you ask?)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

FlossMan posted:

This, combined with your drummer's hat, makes me want to drive wherever I can to see you guys.

:spidey: Also note the red white and blue keytar propped against the keyboard stand. :spidey:

Unfortunately they're in Chicago and I'm in Madison, so I'm just kind of spot starting until they find another bass player.

Good stuff though: http://www.myspace.com/moderndaysavagemusic

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

IPickKenGriffeyJr posted:

Been playing bass for ~2 years, and in the next few weels i'll be picking up one of these:

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless

This thing surprised the hell out of me when I tried it. It has an ebonol fingerboard if I recall, which is a lot easier to get good playability and tone out of than a cheap rosewood or something.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Alfa Tard posted:

Rosewood ain't cheap compadre, but ebonol is pretty nice for fingerboards too

I wasn't talking about it in general, but that the "rosewood" that normally comes on instruments in this price range certainly is.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

:hellyeah:

gently caress you Bartolini, it's Nordstrand time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

VICTORY

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Much more aggressive and growly, tighter low end...sound a lot like the Nordstrands single coils I have in my Jazz, but "bigger." Normally when a pickup gets bigger sounding it loses that depth and growl though, and these certainly don't. The Barts were pillowy and polite compared to these...couldn't be happier.

(These are the Nordstrand Big Singles, by the way.)

So now do I go 100% Nordstrand and throw a PJ set into my Fender P-Special? :neckbeard:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Susano-maku da! posted:

So is there a difference between solid state wattage and tube wattage? Because I see very high wattages for some solid state combos. Are they just really that loud? Does that lunchbox shake while it goes? That'd be awesome.

Solid state power amps can put out the power they're rated at. If you push them hard, you get nasty distortion as the tops of the waveforms get lopped off.

Tube power amps can put out more power than what they're rated at because when you push it you get a rounding, compressing distortion instead of nasty poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Agreed posted:

... but it appears to be extremely fragile.

My brother broke his with some very standard use, we ended up having to open it up and resolder things.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

wooohooooo

New purchase on the left, a Parkwood PW310M that I picked up for a song at GC due to their presidents day sale and a $100 pricing error. :iamafag:

On the right is my (deceased) grandfather's 1930 Slingerland Songster archtop. It's a real sweetheart of a guitar and has a great vibe, but it really doesn't play well any more (no truss rod, worn frets) and to get it back up and running isn't worth it. I'm going to clean it up real well and give it back to my dad...if anything happened to it I'd be crushed. :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Just got my micro pog hoooooooly poo poo. look for a full review sometime this week.

It does octave up, right? How does it track on the lower notes of the bass?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Flawlessly, even on slap. I've been unable to make it stutter. And yes, same with octave up. It's really nice to have the octave up at about noon to boost the harmonics.

I always loved throwing a bass whammy with a doubled octave up in front of something like a Moogerfooger Low Pass, so maybe a Pog and....something else would get the job done.

..although now that I think about it the best part about the whammy was detuning the top octave by a quarterstep and letting the resulting out-of-tuneness activate the envelope filter. :D

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

noblystabbed posted:

I, too, am interested in what head you use with that. An Avatar cab is in my future and I'm curious to see what other people put on top of theirs.

I had a pair of Avatar 112's for a LONG time, and used either an AMP BH260, an SWR preamp or Aguilar preamp +DCM1000 power amp, or Aguilar AG500. All three rocked exceptionally hard, and the little 112's could easily take the 1000w from the Carvin power amp, but the AG500 was probably the perfect match.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mighty Scoop posted:

2000 Mexican Fender Precision Special. Needs to have the pots replaced, but other than that it was a steal for $300. I love craigslist. Pardon the loose string ends; I just set it up for C standard/drop Bb.

I have a slightly different version of that same bass (rosewood board and a bit newer so it has the crappy active preamp) and holy poo poo do I love it to death.

I rock that poo poo with flats, too. :whatup:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Jimix posted:

Has a really strange tone - about the exact opposite of my warwick :)

Flats on a hollowbody are fantastic, and flats just get better with age. What kind?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Spartak posted:

'sup

1982 Ibanez Musician

My guitar quest is over for now.

I loving hate you. I want one of these so badly.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah that's a loving Stambaugh, and a beautiful one. :eek: They're entirely custom made to order, so if you run those pictures by Chris he should be able to tell you who ordered it and if it's been stolen or something.

They're my favorite basses in the world. I have one, have another one slated for an August build, and will probably put my stimulus check in for another one.

edit: Here's a gallery of some of Chris' stuff.

And here's mine!

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Looking at the inlay, electronics, top wood, bridge, ect... I'd place that thing over $3k easily.

drat you all and your "financial stability" <:mad:>

You'd be surprised man...

My August bass is a 5-string, black limba body, flame maple back, zebrano top, neck through five piece ash / wenge / zebrano neck, ebony board, pair of Nordstrand dual coils, Aguilar preamp, all Hipshot hardware. He quoted me $1900 for that, which is cheaper than my bolt-on was.

The electronics on that 7 are pretty standard, the bridge wouldn't be more expensive than a Hipshot bridge, and he doesn't really charge you any different for different woods. I'd think it'd be pretty close to $2500 new, which is a hell of a deal.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Three Red Lights posted:

I just ordered one of these:

I'm on the fence about modelling stuff but I just had to give it a go. I'll probably post a review when I get it.

I love these amps. The presets aren't fantastic but there's a lot of good poo poo in there if you tweak it.

edit: I'd have a tough time deciding between the SpiderValve and the upcoming Bogner Alchemist though. Same factory, same distributor, but the SV has a digital preamp and effects while the Bogner's all analog. Supposedly the price will be pretty similar.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 5, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bleep blorp bleep blorp sorry for the lovely cameraphone picture bleep blorp

Midipeds board acquired! Next step is to order a 20-pack of arcade buttons, and make a trip to Home Depot to build the chassis.

The plan is to have a midi footpedal with which to trigger my micron with while playing bass. :q:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ogopogo posted:

2 things finally arrived!

A Devi Ever USA: The Bit/Legend of Fuzz pedal and a 4-step sequence/oscillator. The boss pedal is old, ignore it.

Where'd you get that box synth?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone care to decipher it?

Looks like they replaced some of the caps with Orange Drop caps, which are pretty high quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Gramps posted:

Speaking of open source pedals- line 6 is selling one also, and theirs is dirt cheap- 200 bucks for the software, the dock (which looks like one of their compact pedals), and a module, and additional modules are 35 bucks. Looks pretty awesome. Check it out.

windows only but otherwise that's totally loving sweet