Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

3toes posted:

Oh wait.. it doesn't have coil taps. Sorry forget everything I said (except the P-bass sound and the MM sound) and listen to Ed

Some US models come with the coil tap and it makes the bass even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's so little. It's so loud!

Unfortunately this may not be the one I end up keeping, as I was bidding on one on eBay, got outbid, then went to guitar center and picked this one up (at a steal,) only to have the dude that outbid me retract his bid. I might have to return this one to GC and take the eBay one, which will save me about $120, but won't be all new and delicious.

This is a seriously righteous amp. All I need is the 112 extension cab for it and I think between that and my Aguilar DB750/AGRO/GS412 rig I'm pretty much set.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

whoa whoa whoa

q-tuners AND piezos?

what kind of neck is going on it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm not a pedal guy but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer.

quote:

Octavius Squeezer includes a dedicated filter circuit bred in our Agent 00Funk and Agent 00Funk Mark II envelope filters. It also includes the fuzz circuit from our Brown Dog gated bass fuzz. A digital pitch tracking stage tracks the notes you play right down to the bottom of your instrument's range and drives an analog synthesizer which can produce various waveforms at either the same pitch as your input, one octave down, one octave up or two octaves up. All of this can be patched, mixed and configured in a variety of ways to give an enormous array of available effects.

Use the effect control to switch between the 50 user-editable presets that can be stored in the Octavius Squeezer's onboard memory. Adjust any of the presets on-the-fly with a twist of the param knob. See the current effect and parameter settings clearly displayed on Octavius Squeezer's backlit LCD. Use the two user-assignable footswitches to bypass, tap tempo and switch effects on the fly. Save and load additional presets to SD card (like the one in your digital camera) using the onboard card reader, and use it to upgrade Octavius's firmware as new versions become available.

$650 though :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

o shi

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's not really the hardware (although simplifying the hardware and having the machines and OS made by the same people helps,) CoreAudio is what separates Macs from PC's in the audio realm.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Apple's keeping the 2.1 ghz Polycarbonate Macbook around as a low end model for $999.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

And if you don't care about the DVD Burner, you could get a refurb 2.1 with Combo Drive off store.apple.com for $849.

edit: or a refurb 2.2 with superdrive for $999

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Specs on the 2.2

Specs on the 2.1

They're both Santa Rosa with 800mhz buses, same ram speed, etc. Here's the difference:

quote:

Compared to the models each replaced, the MacBook "Early 2008 Core 2 Duo/Penryn" models are powered by modestly faster and more energy-efficient 45 nm "Penryn" processors -- compared to 65 nm "Merom" processors in the "Late 2007" series -- albeit with smaller 3 MB level 2 caches (compared to 4 MB).

Anyways I'm not trying to influence you one way or the other or anything, just pointing out that there are plenty of Macbooks under $1000 that you don't have to troll eBay for, including the exact one you were looking for. Apple refurbs are very high quality and have the same warranty as a normal new machine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stux posted:

Macbook pro can have the 7200rpm hard drive, non pros are stuck with 5400.

From Apple, sure, but the non-Aluminum Macbooks were ridiculously easy to change hard drives in.

The Pro gives you one step newer / faster of processor, a larger screen, FW800 vs. 400, express card slot, and dedicated video. For audio stuff a Santa Rosa 2.2 Macbook Pro and Macbook will perform identically. Both the 2.2 Macbook and the 2.2 Pro have 4MB of cache, and an 800mhz FSB, so it's just whether the big screen and dedicated video are worth paying for to you.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks to Just Chompin' my MicronTaurus synth rig is complete.

Going to use this to play pads and sub-bass stuff while playing bass and make crazy sounds.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

Do you know if there are any plans for fender to release a higher wattage version possibly with more features as well?

Something like the new "Recording" Princeton perhaps? Compressor, overdrive, power attenuator, 10" speaker, 15 watts, fx loop and foot switch.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 2, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Link Fail. you mean: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

Yup. I do.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Why does it have to be a low-A? If need be, just get an octaver. And a 5-string is only to a low B, unless you're planning to detune.

A low B-string without a detuner is a shameful string

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bunch of 15 year olds man

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

getting close :fap:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Presonus uses a dongle, it will come with a plug that has MIDI in and out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bob Sanchez posted:

Check this out

This happens within a matter of days. The white finish glistens in the silky starlights and it has a neck that is truly alive.

:mad:

Rocketpriest posted:

Last Purchase:

:mad:

Veg posted:

:3:

The whole thing looks a little more dark than it is, blame my piss poor photography skills.

I have a black one of these with Nordstrands and an OBP-2. It is awesome.

Noise Machine posted:

I'll give you guys a teaser.

I'm not sure my newest purchase will be able to fit inside my car.

Upright.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I think you could get an upright in most cars.

I was able to fit mine in a number of small hatchback two doors no problem, but if it's a really small four door with a trunk sometimes the front doors don't open up far enough to get it in the front seat.

(By the way, going to test drive a car with an upright in tow, just to be sure it fits, is an easy way to get some laughs.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

ding ding ding.

What'd you get?

I sold my Engelhart a while ago and am currently upright-less. Sucks, but after I move I think I'm going to get an Upton.

Rifter17 posted:

I'm interested in the electronics through. I'm trying to put together a bass and the more I think about it, the more a filter based pre-amp make sense. Off to do research on those basses now.

It's not from Wal, but ACG makes a filter based pre-amp. I'd think that one of those with a pair of Dark Stars or something could get you close.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 21, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Does anyone have a Spider Valve?

I want an amp that fits the following criteria:

* Fendery clean channel I can push a little bit
* Heavy as hell crunch channel
* 12"
* Tube
* Under $600

Every time I go to GC to try amps the SV is the one that pops out. It's versatile, it's inexpensive, it has a Vintage30, and the effects aren't bad, either. I'm not even really a guitar player, just a bass player that happens to be able to play guitar, and I think it would fit my needs really well.

For under $600 I could get a SV112 and the FBV shortboard off ebay. Is there anything else out there that compares?

poo poo, even the boutique snobs at thegearpage.net dig the SV.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stux posted:

I really REALLY REALLY like Logic 8 :smith:

Quick swipe comping :swoon:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

From when I was at the ESP custom shop in Tokyo

those dudes are crazy

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

SteelWav posted:

Sansui RA-500 (Spring reverb)

An old radio sping reverb that will now be used in some places in my mixes. Plus: colors!!!!

Hey, my dad has one of these sitting in his storage room. How does it sound?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

metalhead posted:

Pretty sure the new spider valve cabs have v30s. And they're junk.

I think the vintage 30 sounds good with the heavier sounds in the Spider Valve, but I like vintage 30's in general. It probably would work even better with a closed back, though. Cleans aren't going to be the greatest with a V30 though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Just had this thought. I really wish SWR would bring back the Mo' Bass.

Really? I always thought that thing kind of sucked plus SWR has gone completely down the shitter. I'd buy that new Line6 LD750 head years before I touched another piece of SWR gear.

Except the old Baby Blue, that thing is A-OK.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Wha bam

edit: HOLY poo poo table breakage.

Linked for size.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Awesome, man! What kind is it again?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

How much did you drop on it? I really want an upright but I want something decent that'll last me a good while... and apparently I need to spend like $2k for that :\

If you want decent and durable an Englehart would be a good bet, like an ES-1. You'd still need to take it somewhere to get it set up, but that shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars. Or an Upton Laminate would be a great bet, and that one shouldn't require too much work after the fact. Just don't screw up like I did and get a bass with a poly coated fingerboard (EM-1.) :(

I'm probably going to end up getting an Upton Standard Hybrid in a couple years

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 7, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

here come the :flame:

I've heard one Strat that sounded good with EMG's, but it didn't sound like a Strat. Otherwise I agree with you regarding single coils, but EMG81's are still good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Handen posted:

I got excited so I put together a diagram of the sort of live rig I'm putting together:

:pwn: you're crazy

If you want a really high quality, small interface and you're just going to be using it for line-outs to the PA, would something like an Apogee Duet work?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Handen posted:

Mmmm... I don't think so. I need at least three line in/outs and a MIDI in/out. Two ins/outs for the magnetic pickup out and acoustiphonic piezo out, MIDI in for the Hot Hand MIDI-EXP, and another line out to output the sounds of the MIDI instruments/events in Ableton/Logic/MaxMSP (so it's gotta be FireWire) that I'll be controlling through the Axon AX-50/MIDI-EXP in combo. A sort of all-in-one hub would be great.

Motu Ultralite Mk3 would rule for you then. 8 analog ins, ten outs, MIDI, bus powered, small.

And yes, you are the good kind of crazy. But you're loving crazy.

edit: Oh poo poo, my Stambaugh will be here next week. :ohdear:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 9, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

MIDI is used to trigger lights all the time.

(First example I could find on Google: http://tech.yostengineering.com/midiFolder )

I think you should get a bunch of those big LED light panels and set them up around the stage, triggered by MIDI. Last time I saw Dillinger Escape Plan they had four on stage, programmed with the music. They were very crazy and very bright.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bonefish posted:

Hello MIDI Heaven. I don't even have to look at my computer to control Reason. More controls than you know what to do with.

Is the automap on this thing as good as it sounds? I had an Axiom for a little while and could never figure out how to get it to do anything interesting.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

:eek:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

:argh: STAMBAUGH!!! :argh:

also please explain all the nobs.

I don't know for sure yet, this thing is like 10 degrees right now so I'm letting it warm up, and I have no amp in my office. It should be mag volume, piezo volume, passive tone, treble mid bass, with the switch for coil tap on the pickup. I gave Chris a lot more leeway on this one so that's why I'm not so sure.

Ghost piezo bridge saddles, Nordstrand dual coil, Aguilar OBP3, and a Bart piezo buffer. gently caress. Yes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

Dammit I need money :rant:

and I say again..

:argh: STAAAAAMBAAAAUUUUUGH!!! :argh:

edit: If you dont mind, could you give a ball-park figure for what you dropped on that?

Within $50 of how much a Musicman Stingray 5 with piezo's costs on MF.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

non-iphone pictures of my new bass

booya

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Minto Took posted:

I'm frightened to think you don't even own a Warwick anymore. :(

need name change real bad

a clip! I haven't played fretless in a year before today, so the playing is pretty junky but don't pay attention to that. First bit is mag pickup, middle is both blended, end is piezo only

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 16, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

My god, what a boring site over there.

If I want to know more about what a certain piece of gear does I'll search TGP but there's some ridiculous poo poo:

quote:

Also, ditch the Diezel and get an AC30 or Vibrolux

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Markbass NY121 finally shows up

Going to pair that with the 121P combo that's in the same size box, should be just about the best <60lb rig out there.

Ugh, that, plus the 6505+ 112 coming out, is going to make for an awesome / rough spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stux posted:

I have a problem

Real pictures when it gets here :3:

I really want to get a RGT42MDX and throw blackouts in it. :(