Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

BklynBruzer posted:

A pedal/footswitch of some kind?

No, that would be too easy. I'm going to guess that it's some sort of harmonica.

My music page on Myspace.
The International House of Dancakes Podcast
Freshest Dancakes around. You know you want some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Duke Chin posted:

Voted 70-piece orchestra-in-a-box.

Wait, no, changing my mind to "Kenny G-in-a-box".

Kenny G has never been in a box and you know it :wookie::gizz:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Duke Chin posted:

btw :10bux: x 560

Ow. I'd love to have one of these, but the only ones I've played that seem like they're worth having have been over $2000 and I just can't swing that kind of money right now.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

New LCD, new computer, new (extremely old) desk. This is the last time it will ever be this clean until I move.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Craiglen posted:

I have no idea why, but I get a headache when I look at a left handed guitar.

Left handed guitars are scanners. It's a widely known fact.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Mr JinX posted:

Surprisingly it sounds awesome for 34 bux shipped

I don't know why he doesn't trademark "The Fockin' Fury" and just release stuff under that name. More people know that incident than know his music anyway.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

the hell

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out which one of those is sillier.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

In a depressing twist of fate - some ebayer's latest gear purchase:

:smith:

:10bux::hf::unsmith:

:smith:

Aw man. I put my old Epiphone Sheraton (late 70's, nice guitar) up on Ebay once but had to cancel the auction because I realized that I just couldn't bring myself to part with it.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Arthur posted:

There I was happy in my little softsynth world and you had to go posting something like this :smith:

That's great. Do post more about it when it's done!

No lie. I have only very occasional use for analog synths, but I almost pee myself every time I see one. The gearhog in me just can't resist something with so many buttons and dials and stuff.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Buying-Bid posted:

I got bored of the natural color finish

Who's the :downs: supposed to be?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

I'll admit to being guilty of this, I never even was interested in explorers until I found coheed and now :swoon: i want one so badly

You know, I've never really felt the urge to play the same guitars my idols do. I often want to get the same sound, but as far as the same body style, color, whatever, I've just never really cared. Then again, I'm not really a "guitarist" so much as a songwriter who plays a lot of guitar, so I guess my view of guitars is more utilitarian.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

3toes posted:

good lord how wealthy are you?!

Precisely my thinking. I looked at all of that and thought "well, that's the sort of thing I might buy if I no longer needed food or a place to live".

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Yoozer posted:

Selling my MPC1000 so I can get this:

You will not regret it. Just make drat sure you've got a firewire card with a TI chipset.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Yoozer posted:

oh god no what have i done what have i done :gonk:

OH man, I just wanna rub that thing all over my naked body. I don't even know what it sounds like, but it looks so freaking awesome.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

FFT posted:

It's just a midi controller with a fuckload of controls, actually. Keystations don't have any synth capabilities. Which just makes its weight weirder, really. It's got a great key action, though.

I think the two are related - my sense has always been that having a good weighted keyboard usually implies that the unit is pretty drat heavy.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

jwcelement posted:

see that microkorg? mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any band that has a microkorg and a washboard is a band I want to see.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Uncle Caveman posted:

I'm just mad for obsolete electronics; I simply adore them. :whip:

Oh man, you and me both. I used to have a little drum machine called the Memphis Blue Beat.

It was built into something that looked like a guitar pedal, and was just the most hilariously lo-fi boop-bippity-boop-boop-bip rhythm section I've ever heard. It was like having a game of Pong for your percussion section. I wish I hadn't sold that now. :(

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 17, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
My new ukulele and bowed psaltery:

And here is a little demo track I made primarily using those two instruments. The only other things on there are a bass, some tambourine, and Fruity playing the drums. The performance leaves something to be desired (I spent a grand total of maybe 15 minutes on it), but it does sound kinda like Gorillaz. :v:

Extra special thanks to TapTheForwardAssist for finding the psaltery on Ebay and passing the link on to me.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Distinctive! The uke part sounds great, you clearly have the guitar chops. Psaltery takes some time to get used to; are you using rosin on the bow or no? The right balance of rosin (I think) and refining the bowing technique will help to smooth out the sound.

I think it's more technique than lack of rosin - I'm pretty terrible at it still. I'm going to be leaving the country for a few months soon, so I'm probably not going to get much chance to improve before the end of the year. Ah well, something to do over Christmas vacation!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

What's your address and when's the next time you'll be out of town?

You need help carrying anything heavy some time soon? No reason.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Revvik posted:

Sorry it took so long, been busy loving my new amp all day.
It's difficult for me to really describe it - the tubes involved are a 12AX7A and EL84? It has a single volume dial which happens to overdrive the amp? The overdrive is money, shame I'll need to tote it to a friends house because I am NEVER hearing that in my apartment.

Does it have an external connection between the amp and the speaker? If so you could get an attenuator.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Revvik posted:

yeah, so I may, if we don't buy a house here within the next couple months.

If you want to go cheap, Weber makes an attentuator called the Minimass. I have one, and it's pretty cool. No bells and whistles, but I don't need them. $75 or $100 depending on how powerful your amp is.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

I had a little Gold Tone Plucky mini-banjo, but the tuners were iffy, intonation was a little weird, and I don't like frets on a banjo. I do like the size though, 19" scale tuned to C (a 4th higher than the standard G banjo).

I emailed Eric Prust and asked if he could work up an travel-sized oldskool fretless banjo for me. Maybe four days later he emails me and says "here ya go". He cut me an amazing deal on, since the rim/head are off a scrapped banjo-mandolin, so his material costs were really low. To hint: his basic all-handmade primitive banjos start at $200, and this one was notably less.

I'm really stoked, though I won't be able to play it until I get back from Afghanistan in Fall '08. Fortunately, Eric really likes this one, and has no problem hanging on to it for the next year or so.

Not the usual entry for this thread, but I thought some contrast would be good.

Oh, and I'm not old, I'm in my 20s. I just like oldskool poo poo.

I'll keep it warm for you while you're gone. :haw:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Seriously, we need to form the TTFA & Mofolotopo Mutual Admiration Society. We're pretty much the only people that reply to each other's threads.

Well maybe not the only people, but clearly we are the best people that reply to each other's threads. I was just kidding, though - I would be too scared to break your new toy. I am going to get a banjo one day, though, I swear.

My level of ignorance is such that I didn't actually know that fretless banjos existed. I'm gonna dig for some youtube clips.

Edit: Oh hey, neat

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 14, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

If you want to get a feel for banjo without having to put up cash, just play some clawhammer on your ukulele.

I've been doing exactly this for about a month, and am indeed getting better at it. My main issue is that my downstrokes seem awfully quiet. I've got these Kala Red faux-gut strings on it, though, which may be the culprit.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

citizenlowell posted:

I picked this up impulsively yesterday after seeing it on Craigslist. It's a Magnus electric chord organ.

I'm not completely sure what I'll do with it yet but, my basic plan is to use the chord keys to lay down a backing for some ambient guitar stuff.

It's nifty enough.

edit: I guess I didn't attach an image, here http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/my.php?image=img9013mh5.jpg

I used to have one very much like that. They can be a lot of fun, but the silly thing is that since they run on air blowing over reeds they get quieter the more simultaneous notes you play. Requires a bit of forethought to use them in a band situation.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Syrus posted:

It's a marketting scheme Fender has. They put almost all the volume in the first couple notches of the knob so no one ever needs to turn it past three, but if you ever do you'll find that 4-6 sound about the same and that you don't push much more volume at all. If you're into invalidating your warranty you can take out the volume pot for a taperred audio pot instead of the localized one they have now.

I love my deluxe, but that seriously annoys the crap out of me because the clean is always to low, and then you turn it a hair and it's way to loud. It sounds amazing though.

You know, my Peavey Classic 50 is the same way. It's pretty much a Fender clone, so I wonder if they copied even that.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
You little ladies need to grow some thick, manly calluses.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

gvonpaul posted:

I do have callouses, but not on my knuckles...

Back when I was playing regularly in my punk(ish) band I seriously did have callouses running all the way up the side of my middle and index finger to about halfway between the first and second knuckle. Actually, there's still not much feeling there.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Swollen Member posted:

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar. Most Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length, whereas the Jaguar (and the Mustang) have a 24" scale length. Most Gibson guitars have a 24.75" scale length. Other than the scale length though, the Jaguar isn't much (if at all) smaller than a Jazzmaster and it's certainly larger than almost every other solid body electric guitar I have played. In fact, it was purposely designed to be larger because it is designed (well the Jazzmaster was anyways) to be played in the seated position -- the designers gave it more girth so it would sit well in your lap.

Here's some comparison pictures of my Jaguar and some other guitars. Note that it's not small by any means other than it's scale length (length from nut to saddles).

The Telecaster is new!

Why are those guitars on the bed? You're about to have sex with them, aren't you?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

sigtrap posted:

At home beneath its 25-year-old distant cousin, an old SCI Pro-One. Like many Pro-Ones, this one's crappy membrane keyboard is dead, so I'm getting ready to replace the membranes with a row of microswitches. And that impostor MS2000R might soon get the boot.

Do you mind if I masturbate to this? Oops, too late.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

I need to go sell mine on eBay so I can buy the X3.

I just did this, although I haven't been home to play with it yet. Buy it from RivensBitch, he saved me over 10% off of the lowest retail price I found.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

As is my understanding Rivensbitch doesn't do this anymore

As of when? I bought mine from him a couple of weeks ago.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
In fact I received an email from RivensBitch not five minutes ago telling me that my processor has just shipped. :hellyeah:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

My next purchase:

I'm selling a bunch of stuff on eBay (shameless plug), and once that's gone, I'll be getting it.

Mine should be getting to my house today. :hellyeah:

Too bad I won't be there for two more weeks. :smith:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

hamaien posted:

I really wish I knew why Line 6 didn't decide to put a reverb stomp switch on this one :smith:

Though it's nice they put a comp switch

I've just been reading the manual for the X3 Live, and it looks like you can assign the comp/boost switch to reverb instead.

I'm seriously thinking that I may try to whip something together where my laptop is controlling the X3 Live and using it for live one-man-band shows. I could run audio backing tracks out from the laptop into the CD in, run vocals through the XLR, guitar through the 1/4", and MIDI control signals to switch tones for vox/guitar as needed, cued to the rest of the audio so I don't even have to step on pedals. Everything could run to the board using the stereo XLR outs. Oops, got an erection.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 16, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

The latency was poo poo with the XT Live because it was USB 1. The X3 Live is USB 2, and should be okay. That said, I haven't tried mine out yet for live recording because my studio comp isn't connected to the internet and Line 6 wants you to do all the installation poo poo while connected. :argh:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Yep, just tried monitoring and playing through the X3 Live using Sonar, and there was no noticeable latency.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Spaceship Zero posted:

The pod is acting as your sound card, so just plug your monitors/speakers/headphones into it.

Yep, just set it up as your soundcard and set Sonar to monitor through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Without a doubt, THIS is going to be my next guitar purchase.