Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HandlingByJebus posted:

I bought it without having played one ($400 is a reasonable gamble when I can realistically flip it for $350 without blinking if I don't like it) - just listened to all of the YouTube demos.

This is the guy who really sold me on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qhnFq3Ayw - Dave Simpson has a series called "How many tones can you get out of a single amp?" and the range he gets just blew my mind. I did watch several "RV vs. CR120" comparos as well, and I couldn't hear the difference on YouTube.

Having built, bought, and played through a lot of tube amps, I feel like I've got a good idea about what makes them "better" than what people (including pre-CR120 me) think of solid state amps. The CR120 doesn't feel like a solid state amp. It doesn't play like a solid state amp. It sure as hell doesn't sound like a solid state amp. Orange should be extremely proud of this amp, it really is an incredible piece of engineering.

That is because there is nothing stopping a solid state amp from sounding as good as a tube amp. Slew rate, headroom, even/odd order harmonics, reasonable filtering, blah blah blah. All of this can and has been tweaked to make some great solid state sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HandlingByJebus posted:

See my rant on this exact subject in the Stupid Music Stuff thread.

This is not because of those things, earlier / many SS amps sound like poo poo when pushed in spite of them. IMO.

e: This rant

You were my inspiration. :)

I think several of the modern "amp in a can pedals" (some of which I own) are fantastic examples of this very idea since they are pretty much straight-up preamplifiers and they sound great and "warm" and holy moly they use jfets and transistors and diodes!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just remember they are gloriously "tone-sucking buffered bypass."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

It got to the point of being generic because so many people use one or at least a circuit based off of one :v:

Also, Boss used the same 2sc2240 op-amp in most of their pedals of that era plus the 1n4148 clipping diodes are straight out of a Tube Screamer. Lots of similar in one box.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That guitar looks like you are holding a tuxedo mannequin sideways. And that is somehow still very cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok, so my dead gay amp arrived back at the retailer this morning about 11am, and they've already shipped out the replacement tonight, for arrival on Thursday. That's a reasonable turnaround.

Yesterday I ordered a stack of upgrade components, mostly from BillM Audio. I picked out the mods that seemed most important to me, based on the last two months watching YouTube videos and reading Blues Jr. owners' praise for, esentially, putting back the corners cut by Fender in making an affordable little tube amp. These mods are relatively inexpensive and are very popular for this amp.

I built high-end boutique tube power amps, pre-amps, DACs, and more when I worked at VAC in the 90s, so I'm comfortable with this sort of sub-assembly work.

The "Basic Kit" description from the site ($24):

Since this includes a bias trim pot I ordered a multi-meter from Amazon and learned how to set the bias. I also ordered a tube of high-temp silicone adhesive to secure the new capacitors.

I bought the Presence Control mod ($12). It's a small pot that uses negative feedback in the output stage to change how the amp responds to pick attack and brightness. About 1 o'clock is "off." It requires drilling a hole in the control plate, so that'll be fun. No pressure.

I also ordered an audio-taper "snap-in" pot for the master volume (this allows more easily dialing in lower volumes for apartment life), an all-metal Switchcraft input jack, and a heavy-duty Carling progressive toggle switch that has three positions: Off/Standby/On. (The amp doesn't have standby mode stock.)

Now, the basic kit is going to make the biggest improvements to the amp. But Bill also designed a replacement output transformer with David Allen (of Allen Amplification), and they got Heyboer to produce it. It's not as expensive as, say, an option from Mercury Magnetics. The BillM site is sold out, so I'm trying to source one from David Allen to, I think, complete the mods to this amp (unless I decide to try another 12" speaker.)

Noice. I'm trying to find op-amps with a slow slew rate to replace the JRC 4558Ds in my Orange Micro Terror.

edit: wow you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRk9mPJ_58

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

tarlibone posted:

Much of this is new. I've taken it to a couple of rehearsals, and it's all cool.

I've been using a Zoom B1Xon, which is decent sounding and extremely versatile, but it's so compact that on stage, it's just a bit too tough to get to the right sound unless you go and line them all up according to your set list. So, I've got all the stuff I use in my cover and original bands on pedals.

My signal chain:
Electric Bass Guitar
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner (New!)
Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork (New!)
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Budda Phatbass (tube overdrive pedal)
Electro-Harmonix Bass Clone (New!)
TC Electronic SpectraComp (New!)

All of this on a gigantic Gator GPT-PRO board, which I got new but at half off because the center support under the board was partially broken. This doesn't affect the board in any significant way, and I can fix it whenever with a small piece of wood. Also, the bag had a small tear in one spot (right where the center support was damaged, making me think it was a shipping issue), but I fixed that with nylon tape. The Roland EV-5 expression pedal is over 15 years old, and I can use it to turn the Pitch Fork into a wild whammy-like pedal.

So I looked up your Phatbass because I'm always suspicious of "all-tube" overdrive circuits. It has an input transformer to take 12v to the 200-300v range, enough to soak the 4(!) 12ax7s inside. drat son.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sout posted:

Ah that makes a lot more sense.
I still need a guitar with a tremolo, I'm missing out on a lot of fun ornamentation stuff.

Better yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KigM0F9heE8 :getin:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAbB1piGSk

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stopped by a pawn shop while I was out today to see if I could get lucky and I did:

One of the best overdrives for guitar and a genuine analog delay with a Cool Audio V3205 BBD chip. Result!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just bought a friend's Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz for $200. Gonna get my Jesus and Mary Chain on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUH_kVFBlVM

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

I would just be playing early Mudhoney riffs until My Brother the Cow comes home.

Yea it was a coin toss which one I did first. You don't get a Superfuzz-adjacent pedal and not play Touch Me I'm Sick.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New poo poo day: some P90s for my Jazzmaster and a Sunn Model T in a can which will replace my orange micro terror as my recording "amp."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

My buddy has been tracking solos for his LP and he's using Lollar singles in his Strats and they sound sublime. Is that a P-90 type or a soapbar? I bet whatever it is, it's fantastic and now I need yet another guitar so I can have a set of those.

P.S. That fuzz/wah above sounds nasty as gently caress. Like some alien invasion intent on liquefying the human race.

They are P90s in Jazzmaster form so less chime and more growl.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do any of you own a Rivera Silent Sister? It seems like the only good iso cab on the market but it's $1,000!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

No, but I have a couple of the Rockcrushers with the EQ built in. Sounds pretty good so far, my iso cabs are in the storage room now.

Rheostats ARE pretty good but sound off for me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Postmaster GBS posted:

The Tumnus has been on my list for a while and I finally grabbed one. Also super pumped for the Chase Bliss Gravitas coming in the mail tomorrow. First of those pedals I'll have played with and there seems to be no shortage of neat things to do with the controls / parameters.

People love their Tumnuses. Must be a great sound, I've never heard one.

The Jext Telez White I ordered just shipped and I mean holy gently caress listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJDYYxQ6Ug

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Remulak posted:

I like the casual 'just happen to have a Travis Bean' in there too.

haha yea how I didn't comment on that I don't know. GIMME DAT BEAN!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, did they really need to put that kind of distraction in the video just so they could tell themselves they're being progressive? I could hardly concentrate at all on what was actually being said.

I mean seriously, who the hell makes a video about audio equipment using a guitar painted in that awful shade of Latino Lowrider Purple.

Yea I was like forget the pedal I want to lick that guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Leck posted:

If you want to go cheaper, GFS has humbucker sized p90s as well. I've used the Mean 90 and really liked the sound.

Or if you want to do it right: http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/Hum-90.shtml

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rio posted:

Just arrived today! Put her together, did a full setup and I am really happy. Gibson PAF, super light guitar at just under 6 lbs, sounds awesome and feels awesome. It is not so orange in real life but rather than wait for daylight this is how it turns out with indoor lights and a cell phone.

I don't really know anything but is that how the pole pieces are supposed to be?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

massive spider posted:

I've always wanted to Les Pauls but the price plus the fact I don't like guitars with shiny finishes I'd be afraid to dent has put me off. That looks like my ideal paul.

lawsuit les pauls rule and are better than the real thing usually:

https://reverb.com/item/4417295-burny-fernandes-flg-60-les-paul-1978-mij-w-fenandes-stone-logo
https://reverb.com/item/4820039-ibanez-les-paul-standard-lawsuit-guitar-w-case

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 24, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carbohydrates posted:

I had an old one of these when they were called the "Vintage Mahogany" model - I think that was the first run of the satin red and brown Studios, anyway. Really, really a great Les Paul. Also, the headstock repair is not a bad thing at all (except for resale value, which is lol). Assuming it was done decently, it's now stronger there than any other Les Paul.

This is just the biggest can of worms and I'm stopping myself from writing several paragraphs right now

some aren't some are no big whoop.

(ps gibson sucks)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 24, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah it was largely gonna be about the semantics of what technically is and isn't (most of them) a "lawsuit guitar" and which ones are considered quality and aaaaa it's just an interesting topic

(ps gibson sucks but sometimes it's worth the BS)

Oh definitely! It's fascinating stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Can you imagine Les Paul hanging out with Henry Juszkiewicz?

"Surround yourself with happy, positive people." -Les Paul on being successful

"I will turn down all requests for long weekends and for periods of less than 5 contiguous days without special circumstances.

I also do not believe it is appropriate for a request of this kind is to be shared with others. This suggests where you are coming from [employee name]. I also do not appreciate being lied to about being ill so you can game the system to get what you want [employee name]. As soon as I return from my travels, I will schedule a private conversation about this." -Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz in a company-wide email to employees on not taking time off ever

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Literally Elvis posted:

What's this now?

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2011/08/31/140090116/why-gibson-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-department

Gibson management are assholes, basically. Huge, grade A assholes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dusk Tiger is what I call my balls.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wow that's weird

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mean why wouldn't you go maple fretboard?! I respect your decision, however.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's a MURDER Tele!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rio posted:

I don't know, the 1970's lawsuit Ibanez and other Japanese guitars are really good so I can't really get on any moral high horse about copies.

There's a shitload of Tokai and Greco lawsuit guitars out right now for ok prices, especially compared to the originals. Given their weird history and known high quality, they are weirdly cool in their own way (except the Guild Polara S-100 which looks cooler than an SG imo).

https://reverb.com/item/4894162-tokai-sg-japan-wine-red
https://reverb.com/item/4990909-greco-eg700-1978-brown-burst-very-sweet-guitar
https://reverb.com/item/3338512-greco-eg-500-super-power
https://reverb.com/item/5009038-greco-eg-500-1978
https://reverb.com/item/4944134-greco-egc-super-power-1981

edit: also, nothing is a funnier, more low-key gently caress you to Gibson than proudly performing with your lawsuit guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 1, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

scuz posted:

:swoon:

Traded my GK 800RB bass head for that there Epiphone SG-PRO. It was from a friend and I just wanted something to learn on, so here we go. I'll probably rip out the existing electrics and get a better pickup in there, maybe just skip the neck pickups altogether, I dunno.

As card carrying member of the sludge doom stoner community, the idea of ripping the neck pickup out permanently is abhorrent.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

scuz posted:

As a card carrying member of the punk rock community, the idea of leaving the neck pickup in permanently is whatever but it's useless.

I also like sludge doom stoner but I'm not playing any :).

Oh definitely rip that fucker out. Punk does not suffer the neck pickup excess of the ruling class.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

If you truly wanted to pay homage to the Stoner drone gods, you'd rip out the current net pickup and replace it with a Fernandez Sustainer system.

Infinite stoned sustain.

Dawg I do whatever the reptile masters tell me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've always wondered how adjust the intonation on a guitar with a bridge like that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow that's neat. Thanks.

Also, speaking of one-pickup guitars:

https://reverb.com/item/4700559-hondo-11-1970-brown

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Listen: Snakes for the Divine is one of my top 5 records from the past decade and "Bastard Samurai" gives me a boner, but let's not pretend that Matt Pike does anything particularly note-worthy with his tone.

Uh Dopesmoker?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

butros posted:

True fact: I prefer Holy Mountain to Dopesmoker

Holy Mountain, the song, is peak Sleep.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

King Buzzo didn't need no neck pickup when he was building the sludge foundation. :colbert:

(Well, it's a neck pickup in the bridge position, so... make of that what you will.)

Oh look the exception that proves the rule (I think that's how that works?). Buzzo does as he pleases. He also uses solid state amps. HE DOES AS HE PLEASES!

edit: I rarely used the bridge pickup on my Jazzmaster when it had original pickups in it, too ice-picky. When I switched to P90s the growl of the bridge pickup is amazing and I'm using it equally.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 2, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ugh NOTHING worse than Om snobs! Sheesh! :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

HoF is best because Pike realized 40 minute songs full of slow repetitive riffs are boring and fast metal rules. Also when all else fails take what you're good at and mix it with Motorhead.

brb hiding

I dunno man I think what you like is cool and I like slow stuff too I think it's cool. More than anything I think we can all agree on being excellent to each other.