Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hamer777 posted:

whats a good bridge pickup for heavier stuff?

The Seymour Duncan JB is a good bridge pickup if you wanna rock out but still remain versatile.

The EMG 81 is for melting faces with the power of metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

HumanSpeedBump posted:

heehee

must... get... second... panel...

what in the everliving gently caress is that

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Should be mine hopefully by Friday. Lots of things changed, and now this puppy will be mine soon!

I am so loving jealous. How much did that run you?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

wilkenm posted:

VHT Deliverance 120... it's LOUD.

What you have there is a nuclear bomb disguised as an amplifier.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

I think that's just from their amps.

Those older MIA Peavey Predators are actually regarded as one of the best strat-clones around. You can hot-rod the hell out of them too, because almost all the parts will swap directly with Fender parts. In fact, I think there was a lawsuit that forced Peavey to change up the design, but don't quote me on that.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Please excuse the lovely cameraphone pics...I don't own a real camera.

I've always wanted a VHT, even if this is the cheapest one around.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

I've already planned ahead for what pickups I'm going to get, either Dimarzio Blaze's or SD Blackouts. Apparently it takes some routing work to get EMG 707's to fit.

Watch out, SD Blackouts aren't a drop-in replacement either. Read this guy's experience: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-and-general-tech/50395-blackout-into-rg7321-the-truth-revealed-ugly-pics-inside.html

Apparently the Blackouts are so goddamned deep that they either need a neck shim or deeper routs in a 7321. Apparently it's not a big deal with bigger 7 strings like Schecters.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Both care of goons, thanks guys!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Has anyone tried a Verellen amp? I've listened to clips on their website but I was wondering of anyone had any personal experience.

I played one that was sitting in the Trading Musician in Seattle a few months ago when I was amp shopping. I don't remember seeing a model name on it, it might have been a prototype or a custom one-off. I recall that it was Voxy with a sort of loose classic rock feel. Most reviews describe it similarly, so know what you're getting.

It didn't really blow me away, especially considering the price. I was looking for something with a little more versatility, and the log-cabin aesthetics rubbed me the wrong way. I ended up buying a used VHT Pittbull instead.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKK

Mind if I ask what price you got it for? I might be in the market for a 5150/6505, but I'm also waiting to see if the 6505+ 1x12" combo is what I need.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mountain Dew posted:

So my setup is pretty much complete. I got a second 2x12 and an ABY switch so I can run them both at the same time (or switch between them if I want). It sounds amazing. The two heads and two cabs compliment each other quite nicely. It sounds friggin' thick.

THe only thing I worry about is the fact that they're both tube heads that vent mostly on the top. Is the heat something I should worry about? There is about an inch air gap between the two heads so there is a little bit of breathing room. I've seen people stack heads before too so it can't be too bad.

Oh man, I have such a boner for VHT/Fryette. Post more and put my Super 30 to shame.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

fidel sarcastro posted:

Out of curiousity, what's wrong with Danelectro's politics? First time I've heard that.

Apparently Danelectro was one of the businesses that bankrolled California's Prop 8 to ban gay marriage.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure if it was the business or just the owner that did it. Either way, Dano money went towards banning gay marriage. I think Agreed even divested himself of all Dano pedals after finding out.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gonna sit all day making ambient cooing noises.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Not exactly a purchase, but its new audio gear.

I made the Splitter/Blend project from runoffgroove.com. I can use it as a Y splitter, a 2-input mixer, a dual parallel effects loop, a wet/dry blend, and probably tons of other things I haven't even thought of. The switch puts the loops in/out of phase with each other, and the knob controls how much of each loop you blend together.

Tonight I'm going try crossbreeding a bunch of my effects to see if I get anything sweet. Pardon the Diablo reference, but its like a Horadric Cube for pedals.

edit: fixed for loving huge picture

plester1 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 1, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Cool thanks man. Are those kinds of noise issues always resolved by a supply with isolated outputs? Ie I shouldn't worry that the SMMH's included adapter puts out a strange 9.6v and the isolated-output boxes like the Voodoo are speced for 9v?

I have an SMMH that used to make all sorts of weird noises when I shared its power via one of those Onespot daisy chain connectors. It went away when I gave the SMMH its own power supply. It works fine with just a regular Boss 9V supply.

The noises are actually kind of interesting though, if I shared the ground between a Boss CE-3 and an SMMH, I could "play" the SMMH noise by tweaking the CE-3's knobs. It sounded kinda like tuning an old-school AM radio or scanning for alien life forms ala Contact.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Should be fun.

As a Boris fanboy, I'm gonna need a trip report.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

How do you like this? I'm really close to getting one myself.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks Handen!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ViciousV posted:

Picked this one up today along with the black pickguard, love it!

hell yeah, burst-finish Tele with black pickguard buddy

:cool:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Welp:

Oh rad, I didn't know these existed. It could probably be used to recreate the effect of the Boss Feedbacker that would infinitely sustain a note as long as you held the pedal.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Just thought I'd throw this out there: the VHT brand name has been with two different amp companies, both of which make really different amps.

The original VHT was started by Steve Fryette, who made bigass heads like the Pittbull Ultralead, Deliverance, and Sig:X, all popular with heavy metal shredder types.

In 2009, the brand name was given/sold to the Chinese company AXL that makes the current cheapo Fender-style combos. The old VHT is now known as Fryette.

Disclaimer: I am a huge Fryette fanboy, I own a VHT Pittbull Super 30 and a Deliverance 60. I am not a fan of the cheap VHTs. If I were going to get something like that, there's tons of other great options: Epiphone Valve Junior, Blackstar HT-5, Jet City JCA-20, Fender Champ, etc.

edit: It does seem that the VHT Special 6 won a Best In Show award at NAMM, so I guess it can't be all bad.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Just bought one used from the guitarist of the band Rosetta.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Achtane posted:

What is this? I like it.

It's a Squier '51.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Handen posted:

What's the serial number code for that Jaguar? I'm fairly certain the JGS model like that didn't go into production until the early 2000's or the late 90's. I'll have to wait till I get home to check mine, but I think, in spite of knowing it was made in '03, I found various serial dating methods that told me it was made in like 1987 or 1996 or something retarded. :lol:

But I digress, for $350, it doesn't really matter, it's my favourite guitar... Because they're so cheap I ended up having four of them at one time once.

Trust this man, he knows his Jags.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I'm a recent convert to the school of Bareknuckle so probably a Warpig. Either that or a set of blackouts. That said I'm thinking it might not be the best idea to put expensive-rear end pickups in a cheap guitar that I'll probably sell eventually.

From what I've heard, SD Blackouts are too deep to use in the RG7321 and would require routing.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I think tortoiseshell is the coolest pickguard for a black Strat.

edit: Or mirrored if you're in to Iron Maiden.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 28, 2011

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Hey man, where were you to defend tortoiseshell pickguards on black Strats last page?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gaza posted:

Bareknuckle aftermath pickups for my seven string. Haven't installed them yet.

Oh poo poo, I've been looking at buying these exact ones myself. Gonna need a demo once you get them installed.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've never owned anything Maple. I plan on buying a Fender strat body but routing it as it was a Tele. Goin Maple. I, personally, can't hear any tone differences between the two so it's all based on looks.

It's a bit of an issue of how it feels to play too; a rosewood fretboard feels a little different than lacquered maple.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra

Excuse me while I hide my boner.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Just drank the active pickup Kool-Aid.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

HM-2's are a one trick pony, but its one hell of a trick. Entire bands have made their careers off that sound.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Walter posted:

I just need to finally build or buy a decent pedalboard with power. Powering these things from my TU-2 introduces way more noise than I like into the mix.

FYI, Boss pedals like the TU-2 don't provide any of their own power. Those power jacks are simply pass-throughs soldered from one jack to the next. It will simply be as noisy as the supply you're using.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I'm just a picky pretentious rear end in a top hat who blocks his floyds anyway.

Blocking a floyd is the smartest thing to do.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sadsack posted:

Can any pickup gurus explain how a triple-bucker is superior to a normal humbucker? That guitar looks awesome, but that bridge pickup seems really gimmicky.

It's electronically identical to a Fat Strat, it just has the middle and bridge pickups squished together.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Duck and burger posted:

WANT SO BADLY

Did you pick this up new or used? It seems like almost nobody is selling them, I can't afford a brand new one =(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

DiscoDickTease posted:

Finally someone bought my Vetta II so I could get this lovely combination for Christmas:

Is that a Thunder 30? I've been wanting one for a while now, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I have wanted to own a j-custom forever but they insist on putting the huge tree of life inlay on pretty much all of them :(

That's the best goddamned part, I love that crazy inlay.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

To be honest, I think beat-up white Stratocasters look dope as hell. Better than a pristine one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Is that the amp that the death from above 1979 guy plays?

Looks related, but I think the DFA guy uses a Peavey Super Festival F800.