Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

finally added an op-1 to the table of stuff that I don't mess with as much as I should. Our four year old is fascinated by the op1 and I feel like I'll still be messing around twiddling knobs some day and she'll have recorded an album.

edit: I let her whale hard on the axiom; explaining that the op is not, despite all appearances, a candy colored child's toy, has taken some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

OP-1 is gonna lead to repurchasing things I already own functionally in a smaller form factor, I think. I already have three decent condenser mics, but I want to be able to take this thing into the woods or whatever to gently caress around with and I want the whole setup plus a USB power brick and my 0coast and a speaker to fit into a padded suitcase I already have.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I got the mic for my music setup than I never put enough time into wall mounted, after getting inspired by having gotten my Yeti off my desk with an extension arm.

I only have one throat and yet this room has three condenser mics and a tascam portable recorder in it, curious. :allears:

edit: god drat is that Axiom filthy and that's after cleaning it. I think I wanna ditch that and get a 49 or 61 key, any suggestions besides the obvious?

If Korg had a 61-key vocoder synth I'd be very likely to just get that; as is, torn between going cheap with whatever velocity sensitive 61 key I can get for $100, vs spending like three times that on a Nektar LX88+.

The main impetus is I've decided 40 loving years old is finally time to be practicing piano chords.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 24, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Got a nektar lx, so I finally have a full sized keyboard. I am making a pact to either practice the piano 2+ hours a week through January, or I am loving selling this thing.

Key response seems good, overall feels like a decent unit, but for three hundred loving dollars is it really too much to expect either a USB cord or an AC adapter? Yes, I have 2-3 extra USB cords but still....

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I was fed up with the home made maple-leg-and-CDX setup I had which made it super uncomfortable to use a full size keyboard.

So, I used more CDX and more maple boughs and did this.

I run my "REC OUT" to a tape deck, because I'm a 80s baby lunatic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am making a little portable setup inside a camcorder case to take over to a friend's to gently caress around with. Probably OP-1, 0coast, KP3, beatstep and mixer in the case, and I got a Keystation mini 32 to go along with.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Considering I won’t have more than 2-3 synth modules going at a time, I’ve considered a smaller mixer like that one. Don’t FX pedals have stereo outputs, though?

I know very little about pedals, but I know that some do indeed have stereo out

Mackie also makes two larger versions of this, the Mix8 that just adds channels and the ability to do frequency EQ on some of them, and the Mix12FX which has even more channels and some built in FX. This one was fifty bucks and I want to say the larger ones are like 80 and 120.

I have an Allen & Heath Zen12FX in my play space; oddly sometimes I'd actually like more channels but barely ever fark around with the FX.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mavis arrived. As has widely been noted, a versatile and fun toy with a nice resonant sound at tree fiddy

but I feel like for tree fiddy they coulda given us an aluminum lower; maybe that's supply chain bullshit but plastic body is not great. No other complaints, it does the thing as far as my unschooled rear end can tell.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

hows it compare to the 0-coast? they look real similar on paper

I haven't messed with it enough to have a strong opinion there; the 0coast is probably less intuitive for people used to doing stuff in Moog's manner, but more intuitive to someone just looking at the poo poo since it has its paths painted on it and a default set of fx in the path with some pushbutton on/off for a couple things.

I got this because it seemed fun and I got some peer pressure from coworkers, but also my mother32 still mystifies me a bit and this seems like a simpler way to get into the moog mindset and also is easy to cart around because it's the same form factor as the 0coast more or less. Merits to both machines, I think the 0coast is probably generally weirder in a good way. Of course they play nice together in interesting ways.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

hows it compare to the 0-coast? they look real similar on paper

Okay I have a more nuanced answer to this after loving around a bit (and finding out my Beatstep firmware was at least 4 years out of date :laugh:).

Mavis:
Pros:
* cheaper
* it's actually a moog it sounds like a moog it has a moog logo
* it has a patch bank that's setup fairly similar to other moogs and knockoffs, making it a fine first synth in that class and also a fun cheap thing to add into a rack
*makes a lot of fun noises from moogy motorcycle rumble and cowfarts to obnoxious beeps

0coast:
Pros:

* integrated MIDI and clock with tap button
* pre-wired default path with a couple things you can button toggle, but no real loss in power because all patches exposed
* as a knows-little I found it more intuitive to just gently caress with; Moog poo poo sends me straight to manuals, sample patch paths and reminders of what does what
* full aluminum body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6TAoV2-Yo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

huh... no MIDI on the Moog is interesting but I hated it on the Mother (and quite like it on the 0-Coast, as things go) so maybe that's for the best. Seems like a cool box, 0-Coast w/ a good filter was a dream for a while

if I had to pick one to keep, for me, 0coast all the way and I'd resell the mavis. I can see going the other way on that, though, and I am sort of in the "gradually still just barely getting into this poo poo" phase. I think a real rack of some kind and standalone modules are in my future but christ I could spend all the money I've ever had and then some on that poo poo.

Midi on the mother sorta meh but also I have not been able to really figure out how to effectively use the mother's own programming so I am barely, barely scratching the surface on that one. Wish this was my full time job but whoops I am not very good at it and even if I was it'd be hard to make computer toucher money, so....

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I got a Pelican hardcase for taking stuff out to jam other places. I still need to cut the foam, want to run wires first and rearrange as necessary but this is looking like the best placement to me. I don't love where the keystation is, but that's on a long cord....

edit: very glad I got the 53" one instead of 48, that 5" is probably the difference between the mother 32 making it in here comfortably vs not. Now to get clock sync from the beatstep working with everything at once :lsd:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Party to go accomplished. Annoyingly the audio out port on my OP-1 is getting funny and the daughterboards are loving hard to source, I may have to do a solder.

If anyone has a parts-grade OP-1 they want to sell me the connector daughterboard out of, $100 easy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

It's here.

I ordered a 2 piano rack so my 88 key can sit under this, on caster so i can rotate it, and I am going to completely rearrange the middle of this office, clear off the windows and move all the music poo poo to the other wall.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Got a Z piano rack with a second tier on casters; now I can move the pianos in and lock myself in this snug little corner. That 27" iMac was inherited, out of support from Apple, runs various DAWS and JACK audio / midi just fine.

Next steps are to wall mount that iMac where the whiteboard is, send the whiteboard to a gulag, finish up cabling and then clean up and hide my cable job as best as possible, and I think I've got the new version of my home studio done, with the added advantage that the whole coffin plus the hydrasynth can get tossed in my car pretty easily and all I need to hook up to my friends' setup is a couple 120v ac connects and 1-2 1/4" or XLR jacks for me to feed my board or behringer adapter .

Next up? Probably more eurorack. Maybe an electric uke?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

my life isn't going to get any cheaper as a result of any of this :allears:

CatBlack posted:

dual neutron assembled

this looks great and I did not know they made Neutron in non-firetruck-red. Now I really want one :allears:. Or two. Or four.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I only own this because a friend sent it in exchange for a $170 donation to charity once I test it to make sure it all actually works but :staredog: -- A&H Xone4D, since I see I covered that up

credit-card sized arturia thing for scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VZ6IRrVlI&t=43s
"They told me it was big, but, I didn't expect it to be BIG! It's ENORMOUS! It's GIGANTIC!"

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 18, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUex9K0-5c

:toot:

just need an arpitecht and maybe some not terrible oscillator voice(s) oh and maybe another Zlobz or three and uh a triad and uh, poo poo, I should have bought a bigger rack

Mister Speaker posted:

Cool! I was always really curious to see how the controller sections mapped to stuff when these things used to be all the rage among 'somewhere between a dj and a live pa act' guys like Deadmau5. Maybe pop over to the dj thread and let us know how they feel!

it's gonna be a couple weeks before I have time to get Traktor setup and really see and I am hardly a DJ but will be happy to provide my feedback! If it's not for me, I may go to gear trades thread -- given the circumstances I got it under I'd feel weird selling it and not at all weird trading it for things more useful to me. On the other hand, maybe I fall in love with it and end up with a second coffin.... at which point I think I have to start knocking walls in the house down :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Instead of buying moar modulez I got digitaldeckcovers and decksavers for almost everything here worth protecting. Still need a cover of some kind for the 0coast, doesn't look like anyone makes one.

arpitecht goes brrr in a variety of scales.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

there's an empty rackbrute 6u on the floor next to me and every module here is supposed to show up sometime between next tuesday and the end of the month

real pics, eventually

edit: fine, fine, I bought a Loopman, too, if I'm going for a tape vibe I may as well go all in. Leaving myself a glorious 8hp for whatever.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

I guess you could say I made a pedalboard or something:

this is the prettiest use of TE stuff I've ever seen, can't wait to see what you do to Reagan

I may bump this thread as the pieces of this roll in our until someone tells me to stuff it, because god drat was it a bunch of not cheap pieces.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 11, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

it's weird, all right. Last one from me until Weds or Thurs at which point this rack should be mostly done.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

got a Kerbal Space Program because trying to record to the Binary Space Partitioner from a midi KB source was kind of annoying to me, and also having a completely second controller that can eat clock from the same source as this one is, in theory, nice for noodling with my wife/kids.

There's probably like a grand in modules added there since my last pic, but I am still waiting for Cloud Terrarium, which is going to leave me 3hp free for probably a Pico VCA but maybe a zlobz random signal generator instead. I think I'm going to need the second VCA unit in a more dire way once cloud terrarium replaces the wonderfully godawful chipz

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not out of rackspace, I am in desperate need of modules!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Plaits is cool, you can switch voices with cv so that plus a beatstep or similar is a completely functional drum machine as well as everything else it does. i wish i had a mutable branded one, that's a great price

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

got my plaits from amazon really quick. the box is a bit dinged up but everything inside looked like new. it works and it came with this cool wooden bell trinket.

enjoy! send some envelopes into Level it's fun. I am jealous of the OG, I have a decent knockoff but meh, should have spent the extra $70.

edit: i assume the amazon warehouse deal is gone

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I sold a bunch of pedals recently and then happened to stop in at a second hand music shop. They had this for $500, which is a lot lower than I usually see them going for used. I think they got it mixed up with the Hydrasynth Express maybe? I've only messed around with it a little bit so far but it sounds satisfyingly bleepy and bloopy. I guess I have a whole new work flow to learn now!

haha god drat that is a hell of a deal, enjoy! Thing friggin rocks. $500 is a good normal deal for an Explorer, and a pretty insane deal for a desktop. Cheapest I see on Reverb is 600 used.

In "other poo poo that cost $500"

noise reap 3x vca because that's 3x less than "too many", plus F R A C T A L S E Q U E N C I N G

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 8, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

im salivating

hey, you just won $25 in Unrecognizable Reagan! That's like 1/15 of a Bloom!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

These replacement knobs for the Mavis are nice and make it easier to use, generally.

Tempi + Qx expander for Quadrax came a bit early which I believe is gonna have to round out my 2022 purchases, it will take me until 12/30 to pay this poo poo off :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Got the Pam's expander basically just to sync the arp/tempo on the hydra with the rack without having to do bullshit translation through the niftycase or BSP, but I am sure the extra clock outs will also be useful.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

after doing the terrible thing of having a patch cable slip through a gap and short Plaits (no damage as far as I KNOW or can tell) -- I went ahead and put slot covers on everything like a good boy.

Also I think the DaisyPatch is new since last pic.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

(cartesian) snake (sequencing) in MY rack? It's more likely than blah blah.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CV Thing, now I can send Triad to Hydrasynth, and do any number of other things. Easy, it's a great little MIDI computer.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

seeing the number of guitars that serious guitarists get, makes me feel less bad about how much eurorack stuff I buy, and also the fact that I own 3 guitars and basically can't play. (One very modest nylon string classical that was my moms, a very modest Oscar Schmidt telecaster knockoff, and a ~ $500 Bluebird steelstring acoustic my dad gave me because he basically only plays his ~$6000 Taylor).

If nothing else I can make my own string samples p easily. Playing an electric through a whole matrix of euro distortions is fun, too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

GAS is real. Got a second chance at a tree fiddy opsix from someone who decided they didn't have space for it (and hadn't redeemed the VST code, either!). Tree eighty shipped plus G&S, I can deal with that, if I decide I hate it, shouldn't be hard to get that back.

e: cosmix is new, too

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 21, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Taiga, Blon b20 cans, Bitbox Micro all new since last pics.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

here's my first guitar pedal ever

I am sure this isn't going to lead anywhere terrible and expensive :allears:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

QPAS, BL ZeroScope are new.

Not unlike dropping a tenstrip over a six hour period, QPAS has 4 distinct peaks.

e: "CLEAN THIS MESS UP"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Standby for further messy transmissions

man I'd love to schlapp one of those around a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

NuclearPotato posted:

I broke down; my Moog semi-modular collection is now complete (until I decide I want a Mavis for some reason):

Nice, congrats, I feel pangs of envy!

I told my spouse that owning one of these would deal a powerful blow to the patriarchy but so far they are insisting I use my own money for this and not house bucks :(

edit: do you have the whole dfam/m32/sub trifecta? I have mavis and m32, I enjoy them, though I wish maybe that I just had $800 towards a Matriarch :allears:

e: the best reason to own a mavis is as a mother32 sidecar to wavebend it :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 24, 2023