Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
My latest purchase, Studio Projects B1 (condenser mic, roughly 120$):

My next purchase (as soon as I can afford it), Fostex PM-1 (Active nearfield monitors, roughly 400$):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

anarmyofnone posted:

Bought the Hello Kitty a few months ago; laugh all you want, after redoing the hardware, wiring, and pickup, this thing is gonna be sweet (and cheap).

Ordered the Ibanez this morning, I've wanted one of these for a while, and the price just dropped.

I'm not laughing. I love it! I'm by no means a Hello Kitty fan, but just the fact that it looks all girl-like and sounds like a beast is cool in my book :) pretty badass

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Halx posted:

I've actually had it since Feb, but it still feels new since I have yet to learn every last intricacy.
Such a sexy beautiful beast! I would love to get one of those some day.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Only $75? I remember paying roughly $300 for mine!
Good piece of kit, imo.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Teh Bong posted:

Finally got my gear in, it was pimpin having everything come in on the same day.

Purchase: (2) Technics 1200mk2 Turntables, Denon DN-X100 mixer, Sennheiser HD-280 headphones, Shure M35X cartridges, RoadReady turntable cases, and Sicmats Slipmats. Talk about Christmas in February

All the crap behind my desk is the boxes everything came in. I cleaned it up now and it looks a hell of a lot better.

I thought vinyl was on its way out from the dance scene, is it not? I mean with things like Beatport, Trackitdown and 7digital popping up every day, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in 2x CDJ-400s?
Although, even then, I must say I wouldn't mind having a setup like yours :)

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Teh Bong posted:

Well its all who you talk to and personal prefrence. I've always wanted to spin vinyl so I purchased what I wanted. I realize that digital is cheaper,more efficent, and opens up more atristic doors, but I just wanted vinyl,yaknow?? Plus in the future, theres nothing stopping me from adding either some cd decks or Serato Scratch Live and still going digital.

Yeah, definitely! Sounds like a good plan to me.
I guess I'm just worried about my private economy too much to do the same, otherwise I would :D

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah, I agree. It does make sense to have vinyl decks, I never doubted that. I'm not sure I understand what you meant to say. :S

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Got myself one of these babies.

(click picture for YouTube sound demo)

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Arthur posted:

I realised I'd wanted a Virus for about 10 years, so I figured that particular itch wasn't going to go away. Needless to say it's a fantastic bit of kit!

Oooh, I'm gonna acquire one of those some day. They're so sweet! And the TI part is just awesome.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

TommyRotten posted:

Not enough synths in this thread.

Bought it off fleaBay...hope to get it by Friday! God this will be so much better than the crappy VST's I've been toying with (though Zebra2 seems promising). I never should have sold my JP8000 and MS2000r a couple of years ago.

I want one of those! How much did you pay for that?
I agree that VSTs are a bit crappy, but there's some really good ones out there, like Sylenth1. Zebra2 as you mentioned is very phat as well. Another popular one in the dance scene is V-station and Z3ta+.
While technically rather a ROMpler than a synth, have you tried Nexus?
Also, has anyone ever noticed that the name Nexus sounds a bit like NEXt virUS? Do you reckon that was on purpose?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Been needing a dedicated MIDI-keyboard. Used Creative Prodikeys before which were great for EDM, but I now have a laptop for producing and using the Prodikeys is not an option anymore.
Was thinking of getting an M-Audio Axiom 49, but I figured that my budget couldn't justify it.
Here's what I got instead:

Click here for the full 760x383 image.

M-Audio Oxygen 49!

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Stux posted:

But hard drive speed would be pretty important in a live situation, real time accessing of samples etc is pretty dependant on the hard drive. Also it would make little to no difference to battery life.

Can't you just choose to store the samples in RAM? That way the RPM won't suffer that much and 5400 is fast enough to load a lot of samples/loops very quickly. I know Kontakt let's you choose if you want Direct-From-Disk (DFD) mode or if you want to store in RAM. Dunno about Ableton Live, but given its original purpose, this is most likely implemented since v1.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Stux posted:

Samples/VSTs/whatever are loaded into ram anyway when you load them up, its if you load them during a live session or run out of RAM. If you fill up your RAM then obviously stuff starts getting loaded direct from the hard drive. Then of course you have all the incidental effects with OS booting, stuff like that. Its a small cost increase for quite a few benefits and no real downsides v:shobon:v

Yeah, you make a good point and I agree with that. Personally, I went for a 7200 for the same reasons you just stated, but if given the choice between more RAM and a faster HD, I'd always go with the RAM. If my RAM can hold 3.5GB (in XP) then that's more than enough to stream 16 bit WAV files for several hours.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Coca Koala posted:

fake edit: And now all my money starts going into the "Tube Amp" fund! And then after that, hopefully I'll be done buying music gear for a while?

Haha, if only it were that easy. Once you've started acquiring gear, you won't be able to stop!
Anyone in this thread can vouch for that :)

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Cyne posted:

I've been needing a nice small mixer for a while so I got one of these little guys:

Aux send/return and 3-band EQ on every channel, pretty good for a $60 mixer.

How's the SNR on those things? I'd imagine it's quite low, seeing as they managed to cram in so many features into a box for only $60.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Just got C5 EDU:

Click here for the full 1522x1740 image.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Agreed posted:

Treble booster. Boosts the output and adds delicious upper harmonics to the signal. In front of an overdrive, dirt pedal, fuzz, overdriving amp, or heavily overdriving amp, this results in a totally different, usually tighter character to the tone.

So then it's actually a harmonic exciter?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Computer: My computer is really old. I bought it for $600 with my summer job money in 2005. It's got 1GB of DDR400 RAM, 200GB HDD space, and a whole poo poo-ton of problems. For one, I installed Ubuntu on it for some reason, so when it does boot, I have to babysit it to make sure I get to Windows not Ubuntu. It won't start up correctly the first time because of a bad secondary HDD, but if I take that HDD out of the equation it won't start either. I've thought about spending the money to upgrade the parts a bit, but I realize I'd have to end up replacing everything anyway.
You can change your loader so it chooses Windows by default.
http://www.mepis.org/node/7374

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Who DOESN'T understand sarcasm?

Fixed it for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

FLX posted:

Got this on Tuesday, to dive headfirst into digital music production. I only played around a little in Auditon so far, but since a friend introduced me to the Ableton Live demo right before Christmas, I knew what my Christmas present for myself would be this year :)

This looks like a good little starter's setup!
If you can't get your head around the Mastering Audio-book, don't worry, it's not intended for beginners, but rather for advanced users.
You'd probably get more mileage from the book "Dance Music Manual" or by getting a book that's teaching you the ins and outs of Ableton. At least as a start!