Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Just got mics and a mixer for my drumset!! Here is me recording something:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I've been playing on African and Middle-eastern drums a lot lately and decided that I need two to use with my drum kit. I've settled on a small djembe that I will sling over my left side (and push it to my back when I don't use it) and a large Cajon drum which I will sit on instead of using a throne (with the playing surface on the left side). This set up will allow me to use my left hand on either ethnic instrument at all times, I can also use the djembe with both hands while still using my pedals with my feet. I can play the Cajon with both hands if I don't use any pedals. I was inspired by an Australian drummer (that one of my students introduced me to) named Jono Callow...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VF_Hw8l01LI

He doesn't use a Cajon but does use a darbuka (where I will put my djembe).

Here are some pictures:

Small djembe:

Cajon drum:

Here is an example of cajon drum playing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WBQkxS9VYEo

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Los Padre posted:

The drummer in my band just brought one of those...
Yea, very cool instrument to have. To go along with my ethnic instrument choices I'm going to get a Kalimba (or African finger piano) because it is such a relaxing instrument to feature and the hardest thing I'm going to learn is the Didgeridoo. I've decided to get a cheap beginner's Didge and just try it out. I'm practicing circular breathing right now and it is very fun to try. All you do is store air in your cheeks and when you inhale with your nose you squeeze your cheeks and force the air out and then refill them when you have finished inhaling. I really doubt I'll use the Didge much behind the kit but everything else will be used quite a bit as I try to expand my drumming. Anyone have some cool ethnic percussion recommendations?

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Los Padre posted:

I think it's an Udu.

Yeah udu drums are amazing! The high school I teach uses one in our indoor percussion show this year. Very fun to play and amazing sounds come out of that thing! I might look at this instrument to buy but I assume its very expensive.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I just got back from the store and I got an awesome deal! I bought some damaged Moroccan bongos for $25 that normally sell for about $200. The ceramic is cracked and so I just shot some hot glue in the crack (though it didn't really need it, the drum's tension held everything in place just fine). It sounds great too! I'm very happy with this! Here is a picture, sizes are 7" small drum and 10" large drum.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I just got an udu drum and a didgeridoo! I am a percussionist and I have played the udu for a while, I finally have one of my own now though! But I am new to the didge. I've got the drone down with some effects and working on screams and calls and such. My goal is to be able to play this at the same time as my drum set (like Jono Callow).

The biggest problem is mounting the didge for cheap. There are tripods for them for like 150 bucks but I am looking for something MUCH cheaper. So does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the didgeridoo to my drumset?

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Gramps posted:

Tripod microphone stand (20-50 bucks)
4" Piece of PVC pipe (couple bucks at home depot) Measure your digeridoo to get the proper inside diameter.
2 Large hose clamps (a buck or 2 each)
Felt (unless you don't care about scratching up your new toy.)

Cut a slot through one wall of the PVC pipe so you end up with a C shape.
Use some epoxy to attach the pipe to a microphone clip You'll probably need to cut the lips off. All you want is the lower part that screws onto the mic stand. Once you have that, Line the inside of the pipe with a few pieces of felt. Slide your digeridoo onto the pipe. Use the hose clamps around the pipe to gently tighten down around your digeridoo. Voila!

This is a very good idea! I am pretty sure I understand everything you mean except exactly how to mount the PVC to the mic stand. I have an idea of what I'll try but can you elaborate your thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Gramps posted:

The mic clip screws onto the top of the mic stand. I'd also consider a quick release adapter so you're not having to spin your didgeridoo around every time you put it on the stand. I'd get your PVC all cut and take it with you to the music store and show one of the dudes there what you are trying to do. If they're worth a crap they'll get you set up with what you need.

I got it mounted! Thanks for the help, I only did one thing different. Instead of a quick release I just bolted the PVC to the mic stand and angled one leg so it leaned in the right direction, I put dead batteries in the angled leg for added weight and instead of taking it off (which I might not have to I can get around it quite nicely) I can just 'swivel' it to the left. (I do the same thing with my microphone stand on my left.)

Here are some pictures:

I'm still waiting on my Udu! :( Please come soon!

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2008

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Just began recieving pieces to my giant 20 piece custom kit. This is a 15"x6.5" snare drum...

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I was going to cross post an SA Mart thread in ML but decided this would be alright to do it here. If anyone is looking to purchase some drums: I build custom drums professionally, and they are not expensive, so check out my SA Mart thread and at least talk to me before you buy something you might regret later on.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161877

:drum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Workshopping my kits in my apartment at the moment, here is the left side of my main Yamaha kit:

The flash makes it look like a cluttered mess. The white drums (octobans and snares) I built myself. The 14" floor tom (on the left) also has snares that can be turned on for a old school marching snare sound. Next thing to do is upgrade cymbals.

Here is what I'm building (I have it all, just don't have enough room to set it up in here):

edit: tables shmables.

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 1, 2010