Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
TR-626 Rhythm Corroder

A bent TR-626 Rhythm Composer a friend built for me for a small fee. The box with upward pointing screws on the right side of the machine is a patch bay where connections are made by bridging two or more screws with alligator clips. The results wreck the machine's sound in many beautiful ways, and since multiple bends can be tied together, the combinations are almost unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

ReverendHammer posted:

Is there any way we can get some sound clips of that? I would love to hear what crazy things can come out of that thing.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I recorded this one last night. Because I hate programming stuff on a tiny LCD, it's only one drum pattern repeated over and over. The final sound is formed by the patch bay and two custom distortion pedals made by the same guy. I'll upload a dry clip once I get a MIDI cable so I can start programming this thing from my sequencer.

http://www.radiumclub.net/151206_corroder.mp3
please don't rape my bandwidth terribly, people

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

ReverendHammer posted:

Wow, that was pretty cool. Do you have any ideas of how the bends are mapped out in regards to how they may affect the sound, or do you pretty much have to fly by the seat of your pants?

I have no clue about the bends. I map the best ones by playing different patterns and connecting stuff randomly. When I find something that really clicks, I mark the positions of the bridging connections into a text file with a short description of the sound. The whole idea of the piece is that in itself it's a nice machine but even bent it wouldn't suit my purpose because the basic sounds of the TR-626 aren't really the kind of stuff I'm into, but combined with pedals from the same guy it's exactly what I've been looking for.

The friend in question has pretty much stopped bending though, because he has something bigger in mind. The few works he does anymore are unique custom pieces for me and another guy he knows.

Kekkoslovakia fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 16, 2006

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
A week ago I took the first step towards getting a modular analog synthesizer. I was planning on buying the parts for some VCOs first, but decided to get the chips and boards for a TLN-156 Neural Agonizer spring reverb first, since the unit is no longer in production and I wanted to make sure I could get the parts before the stock runs out.

Example of the front panel:

This monster is a two-spring tank reverb that is capable of warping the input in some very beautiful and bizarre ways. The moment I heard the bass pulse sample clip that can be found on the page linked above, I was sold.

"The TLN-156 features: an amplifier for controlling the input signal level, two reverb tanks that can be driven in series or parallel, separate recovery amplifiers and resonators for each reverb tank, a feedback amplifier with lowpass filter, and a deformation processor for combining the reverb tank outputs. Most parameters are voltage controllable and several patch points are available for adding additional signal processing. All inputs and outputs handle 10 Vpp audio signals and 5 volt control voltage signals (modular standard)."

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Pants: creamed.

This is the first of two panels made out of analog modular kits that a friend is building for me.

From left to right, the panel contains the following modules (mostly Music From Outer Space kits):

2 x VCO
Noise Generator
Sample & Hold
LFO
State Variable Filter
ADSR Envelope Generator
Dual VC Amplifier

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

toadee posted:

Synthesizers.com Q118 Instrument Interface:

Basically takes an input from an uhh, instrument, and err, amplifies it. The neat part comes in in the gate signal. Once the input amplitude is above the threshold setting (set by the uhh, threshold knob), the gate opens (output goes to +5v), and when the signal goes below threshold, the gate goes back to +0v. Trigger fires a quick +5v pulse when the gate opens.

So yah, you can use this to run your microphone or guitar or electric violin or whathave you through your Synthesizers.com modular synthesizer, which is basically what I plan to do with it.

How much did this thing set you back?

I'm getting a custom modular built for me (a pic of the first panel is probably a couple of pages back now), and the second panel of it is still in planning stages. I've been thinking an instrument interface might be a nice addition since I've already got a Kenton Pro-2 heading my way to handle the MIDI side.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
A measly Boss SD-1 + an awesome friend =

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
heehee

must... get... second... panel...

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

plester1 posted:

what in the everliving gently caress is that

A custom-built panel full of modular analog goodness, built by a friend mostly from Music from Outer Space kits.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

toadee posted:

This is pretty sweet, pretty comparable to the synthesizers.com set up I have going at the moment. How much did it end up setting you two back in terms of both parts and labor time?

I paid about $1150 for it including labour and a Blacet power supply, which easily has enough to give for another panel as well.

Forgot to say, I dunno if it shows in the picture, but that whole panel is just 19" wide in total. The jacks used are 3,5mm instead of 1/4".

Kekkoslovakia fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 18, 2007

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Kenton Pro-2 dual channel MIDI/CV-converter for controlling my synth with a laptop

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
A couple of new pedals:

Boss LS-2

Line 6 DL4

Why does the DL4 have to be so unbelievably ugly?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Latest finds:

FMR Audio RNC1773

This little box is worth many times the two hundred it retails for. Coupled with an FMR RNLA (next on the shopping list) and an NCC-1701 rack tray, it makes up a 1U-sized compressor-expander combo. (picture has two RNCs mounted)

T.Mix TX1002

In the price range of similar Behringer mixers but the sound isn't as wonky. I needed something to go between a pedal chain or synth and my audio interface, since the FA-66 is in my opinion way too oversensitive.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

The Huntsman posted:

I love the "really nice" button but can't help wonder what it does. Where did you get it and where can I find one? The compressor on my Eureka is good and all but I am looking for something a little tighter.

The "really nice" button activates an almost-transparent soft knee mode. I don't have much use for it but anyone with a need of delicate compression should appreciate.

I ordered mine from Thomann in Germany, but these babies should be on sale anywhere, including eBay.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
getting bigger

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Engine Fortegue posted:

jesus christ dude, how do you even control this one it's finished?

Enslaved machine elves. Their back-breaking labor keeps the waveforms flowing and the souls of their dead are forever locked into powering the Sample & Hold module.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
I was supposed to buy this Boss RC-20XL

...but then I found out about the Digitech JamMan, which is basically the same but much better with a negligible price difference, so here we are:

I did consider the RC-50 for a second but gave up when I realised it has only one out jack.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Finally got the Rockcase pedalboard I ordered a week back.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

TheDingo posted:

Why are you using both a JamMan and DL4?

Captain Organ posted:

more importantly, why do you have 36 toggle switches on your pedal board?

It's either because I get off on thoughts of endless overdub loops in stereo and tiny metal switches, or because I don't play the guitar but instead what you see in the picture. I don't remember which.

edit: besides there's only like 35 switches

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Handen posted:

Did you make those custom pedals yourself, or is there a corner of the internet where people build and sell odd customized pedals with a billion switches? I ask because I'm into DIY stuff but hardly have time to do it myself. :(

And what do those pedals do anyway?

Those pedals are the work of a good friend who's been kind enough to build me some other stuff as well.

The bent pedals are:

[that little black box in the lower left corner]
This used to be a Boss Metal Zone MT-2. The switches (on all the custom pedals) activate and deactivate bends on the circuit boards, and their combinations touch, fondle, ream and rape the sound. This thing now sounds quite a lot like the Metasonix Scrotum Smash and Butt Probe pedals. One of the switches actually bumps the volume up to about double the normal if the pedal is the last one in a chain. If not, it just roughs up the sound some.

[the metallic box above it]
A pedal is like a box of chocolates, especially when it is built into a box of chocolates. The barcode around the second power led is a dead giveaway.

The box houses two pedals: a DOD Death Metal and a DOD filter (I forget the name). The four input jacks in the upper right corner allow me to use either one or both, just as if they were separate units. The bends on the switches still effect the sound of both, even though the distortion is always more heavily touched.

[the black box with knobs attached to a pedal]
A Boss DS-1 with an external switch-/knob box. This thing is best for a sort of a "straining" sound where the toggles are turned so that the outcoming signal cuts between moments of silence and heavily saturated distortion. Also I found out that when the DL 4 is connected to this box's input, the box works as an analog synth that's good for radio noise or low low bass.

If you take a look at how the pedals are connected, you'll notice some small things like the DL-4 connecting both to the reverb and the line selector. The cables going outside the board are supposed to be connected to a mixer. Essentially, what I do is choose the route the feedback loop takes through the board and the mixer, and what the pedals do is make it timid, squeaky, rhythmic, loud, annoying, or plain weird. Imagine using Märklin model trains as an instrument setting up hammers and buzzsaws to beat the trains as they speed around the looping tracks.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Can you post a recording of this? It sounds rad.

Sure. I'll try to get one done tomorrow night.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Can you post a recording of this? It sounds rad.

Here.

It's slightly dulled, because I only noticed I had the reverb on full power through the entire thing at the end, when I was supposed to turn it up.

You have no idea of the costs involved in the recording of this short clip.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

squidgee posted:

Those were actually some really neat sounds. What do you mean the costs -- the expense of the hardware? I could imagine that those sounds could yield some really cool samples.

Thank you.

Costs on sanity and my supply of "art enhancers".

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

i51423 posted:

I guess it doesn't help that you're not seeing the progression to this.. but here:

Are you quite sure you have enough delay there?

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Today, this:

Next week, an Oxygen 8v2. Those combined with my UC-33e should provide all the MIDI control I need.

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Hadlock posted:

Made me think of this: http://www.najle.com/idaft/

Hey, that's good for finger exercises while waiting for the real thing to arrive :)

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

MyushiVerSCOOTY posted:

I got a new electric drum pad

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's pretty nice to play.
That looks really sweet. Congratulations.

Gaseous Clay posted:

I just ponied up for this on friday

Looking into an oxygen somethingorother next.

what type of stuff do you do?

I go between noise music and IDM, depending on whether I want to improvise or program stuff, but grabbed those controllers to help my DJ'ing as well. Made the mistake of trying to DJ with Live last year and dumped CD decks completely as a result.

I thought about those Akai pads too, namely about the MPD 16 because it was dirt cheap. Changed my mind when I noticed a bunch of MPD 16 owners whining about "how they should've bought the trigger finger" and got "insensitive pads" as the usual answer as to why. I've been satisfied with my UC33 for five years straight now so I thought I can't go horribly wrong with another M-Audio device.

If anybody knows any cheap controller that would have an XY pad, holla up. Still missing one of those.

edit:

Oh. My. God. Who can I rob for one of these and why didn't anyone tell me it exists?

Kekkoslovakia fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 15, 2009

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Run Dodo Run posted:

Korg's nanopad

Thanks, that's a perfect suggestion!

Might as well not waste space and list a new old purchase

Bought this little box from a Canadian friend over 3 years ago, but during the sale we both had a brain fart and forgot that the power supply was a US one, and because I couldn't find a converter anywhere around here, it just sat on the top shelf unused. Today I out of curiosity plugged a JamMan power supply in it and was pleasantly surprised when it lit up like a christmas tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Yarbald posted:

second one just came in the mail! commence ripping off dave knudson GO GO GO

Set type to Digital w/ Mod,repeats to max, mix to max wet, and time to anything past the middle point. Input any sound. Set time to min and voila: sweet modulating drone that carries on forever. Great for meditation before practice.