Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arthur posted:

My christmas present to myself:

Thomann were doing a decent price on the original (non expanded, I don't need the extra bits) version, so I thought why not!
I've never used a decent orchestral library before, and holy poo poo am I impressed so far. Bit of a learning curve on the thing though mind.

Please write more about this! I've been thinking about buying a orchestra virtual instrument for a while and I really want to know how everything sounds, especially the brass and strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My first new instrument in four years: A second-hand Ibanez SR405. Got it for $240 off of craigslist. It really, really needs a set-up and new pick-ups but I'm just happy I finally have a 5-string bass to plunk. Life is way better when you have disposable income.

Next up to buy is Ableton Live 7 and an M-Audio Axiom 49.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have entered the realm of the seven string guitar by buying an Agile Septor 727 off of the sevenstring.org forums. The Pick-ups are lifted from a MusicMan JP7 and the tuners are replaced with Schaller Mini Locking tuners.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

Ooh, how is it? I'm going to be buying one of the Agile 8s when they enter their second run and I'm interested in how the other Agile extended range guitars are.

I don't know yet, I'm playing the waiting game at this point until it shows up in my mailbox. That photo is one of a about two dozen the seller gave to me. I'll post about it once it arrives.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

Ooh, how is it? I'm going to be buying one of the Agile 8s when they enter their second run and I'm interested in how the other Agile extended range guitars are.

I've been able to play the guitar for a bit so I can give an actual reply to this post. It's like a luxury-brand Schecter Blackjack, the Lexus to the Toyota if the Lexus cost about the same amount of money. The neck is slightly thinner (still nowhere near Ibanez territory), the heel is less pronounced, and there's a ton of other little things that make this feel like I should've paid a Gibson-esq price for this. The maple fretboard is honestly the best looking fretboard I've ever seen. As said in my original post, the pick-ups were replaced with a set from a JP7 so I can't say anything about what this guitar sounded like stock. As is however, It's a very hot guitar and I might get the neck PU replaced with something that cleans up better. The D-sonic in the bridge however, sounds amazing.

Now the bad: the action is kinda high. Combined with the string tension of a 27 inch scale, this makes it more difficult than necessary to play open chords or a fast line on the lower frets. I'm getting it set-up this weekend and replacing the strings with a lighter set, so hopefully that should cure this problem.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the standard hardshell case that came with the guitar feels cheap and flimsy. I'm going to get it replaced in the near future.

DMCrimson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 15, 2008

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Handen posted:

EDIT: What's the deal with the Muse guy's guitar? You know what I mean, the one with the MIDI controller screen.

If you're interested in building one yourself, Here's a big overview from someone who installed a Kaoss Pad in a Les Paul. It's pretty much what previous people have said: it's a MIDI controller that let's Matt Bellamy control a couple parameters that make really cool Sci-Fi noises.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bought a used Parker MaxxFly 7.

I haven't been able to play it much due to work and moving cities but it's a giant step up from my near-destroyed Agile Septor 727. Can't wait to carve out a nice long time to play with this.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Gasmask posted:

That's a drat nice guitar you got there! Do those ones have the piezo?

Yes! Seven-string piezos are a little hard to find on production guitars and the other options were on guitars I didn't love (EBMM JP7 and Majesty) or integrated with Floyd Rose bridges (Carvin LPM7). I could mod a guitar to have piezos but having it already available was a big plus in Parker's favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

muike posted:

I still wish they had done this with the traditional Fly shape instead of the maxxfly but it's still so sick

A true seven-string Parker Fly has been built before, albeit through a custom order. Considering how much their production guitars go for, I can't imagine how much a real Parker custom would cost. I still prefer the MaxxFly shape for avoid the chest-poke problem the top horn gives players.