Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Not enough electronic poo poo.

Changing that:

As an upgrade from FM7:

Just because I think it's really nice:

Recently arrived:
(not the nice boxed version but a DVD-case version - oh well, it was cheap).

Nice shot for the atmosphere, at night:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

juan chaos posted:

Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves.

I've got a Line 6 EchoPark. Can yours do this?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Justus posted:

E-mu e6400. I actually got this a couple of months ago, but I'm still loving it, and finding new tricks it can do every time I sit down with it! I love hardware units. I just find them so much more intuitive and conducive to creativity than software samplers! I had to order tons of extra stuff to get it to do what I wanted though.

Niiiiice! You've looked into this, too?

I've had (still have, but stowed away on the attic somewhere) an ESI-4000 but it doesn't touch the higher-level ones (no Z-plane, no beat munging, no .wav files).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

NS Design WAV4 :fap:

"Perfection is not when there's nothing more to add - it's when there's nothing more to take away."

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

In a few days (I hope) this will be mine; the deal's closed already. Some other gear has to go, but oh well.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
No instrument, but I really need one or two of these babies :shobon:

It's a Jaspers 3-tier keyboard "A"-stand.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Keyboards, not that much. Rack synthesizers, on the other hand...

This one's going to carry the Yamaha AN1x, Roland XP-30 and Alesis Ion. They're now set up on a desk which is cool but awfully bulky and it robs me of precious space.

Anyway, the second one's probably just going to be a 2-tier one, and it'll carry the Roland Juno-60 (of which there is no rack version) and the Roland JX8P (there's a rack version that has 2 of 'm but it's expensive and it doesn't look as cool). They're going to be put in separate rooms; the 2-tier one is for my "primitive" room without computer or plugins - which is in an awfully small room but it's pretty nostalgic.

The 3-tier one will be put in the "main" studio. It's the first step towards redesigning the furniture - right now it's a huge row of desks and I plan on making some kind of custom Omnirax-like thingy with bays for the racksynths left and right and in the center of it the mixer, controller and dual screens. Not only will everything get in proper reach, it's also much cleaner as a setup - no cables dangling over several tables, etc.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Papa Cripclips posted:

Roland JP-80x0 to arrive tomorrow. Holy poo poo, I'm giddy. Pixxxx to come.

The module or the keyboard?

I received mine (the 8080) a few weeks ago, it's awesome. So awesome my Waldorf Q rack lost the battle and is going to be sold.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wooley posted:

very much considering it. especially now that you can get them easily <$600 used. has anyone ever had one?

I've got one. Get the memory upgrade to 128 mb and get the harddisk kit plus a 80 gb (well, that's what I have :v: ) laptop drive - loading samples from CF sucks. There's also an alternative OS - the JJ OS which I plan on getting - despite it being a hacked OS, it's pretty awesome and adds features Akai never thought of. You always can revert back to the old one.

Make sure you get one with well-functioning pads. Some don't have enough glue on 'm. Not impossible to repair, but better safe than sorry. The MPC2000XLs are sturdier in that aspect but lack the huge memory. It's possible to retrofit them with a card reader, though, in case you don't want to lug around a SCSI setup.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Woohoo! I'm looking forward to this one, my MPC is too bulky on my desk.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
This. Soon.

god i can't wait

Buying the 6Ds was pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever done. I don't know who fell asleep at QC but the speaker I sent back to be fixed is still dead and to add insult to injury, its green LED has died, too.

gently caress.

Selling my MPC1000 so I can get this:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

oh god no what have i done what have i done :gonk:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

That's right. :2bong:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Cynicide posted:

Is that two dx7's?

Yup.

Okay, let's do this right:

Due to lack of a stand, the 2nd DX7 is no longer included in the picture. Yeah, me, the luck git, picked this mint babe up. (top one is a DX7 mkII with floppy drive).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

bisticles posted:

Any chance you should record a video of exactly how one of those things works? It looks like a lot of fun.

Youtube has several of 'm already :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJMzes0KvSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vSOEkF5G4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAaxwkTbLs

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'm reasonably sure that this will be here in a week or two or so.

This is like World of Warcrack, only for audio :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'd like the pads of the PadKontrol to be a bit fatter (MPC2000/2500 style) but the fact that they're lit is a huge bonus - muting/unmuting in the dark is really easy that way.

I'd also like if there'd be a note repeat button so it could slave to the host's tempo - x-y roll is not that accurate. Also, a metal base with some weight would've been ace. Other than that, I can recommend the PadKontrol - I did my MPC1000 away because this would be a little bit more capable in combination with Ableton's Impulse.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

granpa yum posted:

i just got a yamaha motif xs8 off ebay

god i cant wait for it to get here

They're selling these already? They aren't even out for that long.

I hope for your sake the seller didn't have a ludicrously low price and demanded Western Union.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Anti-Derivative posted:

oh god it's here!!

That is awesome and I hope you're going to have gobs of fun with it.

Check if the newest OS is installed (some stores don't do this) so you get the truly out of whack oscillator modes.

Roman Starkhorse posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa I just got one of these off of ebay and it's the craziest thing ever

Choose Hall (or Space) Set Color to max, Decay to max and the Mix to 30% or so. Play a dry synth's pad sound or something. Endless reverb. Sample this and use it for weird background atmospheres.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
aww yeah

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Uh...

The 24-pin cable is not a MIDI cable; it's one of those lovely proprietary formats (hello R-Bus, hello DCB) Roland dreamt up and then left in the dust. Neither is the 13-pin, I'm afraid.

If you want to use your guitar there's 2 ways:

- get a guitar > MIDI converter (Terratec AXON > http://audioen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1 ) or something like it - and use that to drive the vocoder. The carrier is then the vocoder's built in synthesizer. (Nord Micromodular/Modular/G2, Korg MicroKorg, Korg R3, or even the Korg Radias). Then input your voice as audio.

- just plug in the guitar so its audio acts as the carrier and your voice acts as the modulator. All you need is a vocoder, then. What's mentioned above will do the job, probably - important is that you get 2 inputs, one for carrier, the other for modulator.

Anyway, vocoders aren't -that- popular anymore, and if you insist on a keyboardless version, the G2 rack, Micromodular (will also act as stompbox from hell) or Modular rack version will do the job. All other rack vocoders are pretty drat expensive and vintage.

Oh yeah, then there's the Electrix Warp Factory.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ryju posted:

Unless someone can tell me how stupid an idea this is. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money just to record for the first time.

You would benefit from a cheap flash-based recorder if only for the fact that the sound doesn't degrade and you can slap your .wav files directly on your computer. The benefits of tape kick in when you have those bigger wheelie-like thingies.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRS4B might be an option.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

yeah, I went there :c00lbert:

seriously, you guys in the States are lucky. I've heard about the white ones being blown out at Guitar Center for $399. That's not much for a Triton (even though it doesn't have as much of the effects). The arpeggiator is immensely fun. It has USB, so it's a controller at the same time, too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
awww yeah

Roland JX-3P, a pretty underrated vintage Roland analog.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

squidgee posted:

Oh my god the amount of cool poo poo I see in just that picture is unbelievable. I'm jealous.

Wait until you see the amount of cool poo poo that's going to surround it when it's actually at my place (picking it up tonight). :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It just sucks that this programmer costs more than the synth itself. 200 euros for the PG, 150 for this mint JX3P.

I've had the joy of using it though in the school band; really makes the job of adjusting sounds easier. Too bad that back then I didn't have a clue about what I was doing (well, at least the parts with the X-Mod and all that; I already learned about envelopes and filters from the Juno-60 I owned back then).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Gargladdy posted:

Oh wow, I've never looked at the ms2000 before but it looks pretty good. How does it compare to the roland sh-201?? Do you have any samples of it?
MS2000 --- SH-201
Steel --- Plastic
Vocoder + filter/whatever --- Only a filter
DWGS (digital waveforms) --- Supersaw (nice for trance)
4 voices --- 8 voices
44 keys -- 49 keys
Cool vintage looks --- Still pretty cool, just not vintage
2 timbres --- 1 timbre w/ layer or split (basically if it says "16 part multitimbral" on a synthesizer, you have 16 different synthesizers in a single box - but they have to share the effects and the voices. So, a 64-voice synth with 16 parts means 4 voices per part (or 1 part with 8 voices and some with only 2, etc.) So, the 201 can stack sounds or you can play bass left and lead right, but you can't play the same notes for bass and lead completely separately

Samples:

http://www.synthmania.com/ms2000.htm
http://www.synthmania.com/jp-8000.htm (The 201 is based on this, but the 8000 sounds a bit more hi-fi)

quote:

oh and if anybody wants organs

Kidneys, lungs, so fresh the blood's still dripp- oh wait :v: .

Today I picked up this, for the minor cost of hauling it back for 50 miles (the alternative would've been that it would've gone to the dump, what a waste) :

How the gently caress it can sound: http://perkristian.net/Eminent_310_Unique_Audio.htm

It needs some TLC, cleaning, new sliders and maybe a good look at the soldering, but it works right out of the box and looks and sounds awesome. It's the thing Jarre made Oxygene and Equinoxe with. It's basically 2 ARP Solina String Ensembles in one, and just one String Ensemble sets you back 200-300 euros here; the Eminent 310 Unique is just not so wanted because of its bulk, but it's actually better than a regular String Ensemble (and stereo, too).

quote:

oh and I REALLY want a Minimoog Voyager but that's not happening anytime soon :(
I'm lusting for a Little Phatty with the same problem. I do have a shitload of other synths, though; it's just that the LP is sold for chump change sometimes if you convert from dollar to euro.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 27, 2007

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ninja fetus posted:

I got one too recently. It's quite possibly the best virtual analogue ever made. I'm in love with my ION :)

EDIT WITH PICTURE:

Congratulations. The lights are pretty, yes. Very much so.

Anyway, do hook up a dedicated delay/reverb box. You'll be glad you did..

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Should arrive next week.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ZHamburglar posted:

Next we plan to buy a Juno and a TB-303.

Instead of the TB-303, get the better and bigger Futureretro Revolution. You won't pay through the nose for an original beaten up piece of plastic with small knobs, and you won't have to solder anything yourself like with the x0xb0x.

Which Juno? 6, 60, 106, Alpha 1/2, D or G? :v: If it's the 60, get yourself a DCB-MIDI interface. The Juno's even more fun if you can sync it to anything.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'M THE ONE AND ONLY DOMINATOR

Sounds like : http://www.synthmania.com/mks-50.htm

Reference: look for sound B86 "What The"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Socket Ryanist posted:

Wait, I thought it was the αJuno-2 that had the "what the" patch?

All of 'm (MKS, α1, α2) are the same except for the form factor; the MKS is obviously a rack, the keyboard of the α1 does not transmit velocity (it will however receive it if you have a velocity-sensitive keyboard and I've got 9 of those) and it doesn't have a slot for cartridges (not a problem either, with the magic of a MIDI interface and SysEx dumps) and it only has 49 keys (I've got enough 61-key synths, too).

So even if the previous owner decided to be an rear end and delete all the factory patches, I can find and upload it in 2 minutes :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

emilbus posted:

Hello mixer. I guess I have no excuse not to record anything anymore.

Gorgeous show of lights. And a Monomachine, too, niiice :).

$iMpLe posted:

i just bought cubase 4 and ableton 7.

you know what they look like but drat it feels good to hold a little paper box that cost more than my car...
Congrats - but why'd you get both? Or one for the laptop and the other for more "serious" production?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Today I bit the bullet.

what was i thinking

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Engine Fortegue posted:

Go ahead and invest in a piano dolly now before it's too late and you have to move it by hand.

Tell me more about these things. You simply leave the piano on the dolly, or...? Because I don't plan on moving it anywhere once it's in the house :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Yay! I freaked out yesterday when a failed OS update made the thing a brick, but I got it to take eventually and man it's rad.

YAHOO GROUPS > ION > RE: BUFFER SIZES

Jeez, why'd Alesis have to make it so hard to do that :(.

Anyway, congrats. I sold mine yesterday, it has to pay for the piano. Make sure you get a nice little 1U effects box (protip: TC M300) because with some reverb the sounds really shine.

Check http://theheartcore.com/ion.html for some Ion demos of mine :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

This thing is cute, it was idiotically cheap (100 euros for an 8-voice VA with 3 oscillators and modulation, try that, vintage) and factory preset 16 is Usher's "Yeah" sound to a T :whatup:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sorely needed, because of this:

I now have a MIDI-fied Roland Juno-60 which is all kinds of awesome! The MIDI's very basic, though; just note info, but that's enough for me. This week, I'm going to repaint and rebuild the studio.

MOTU's apparently one of the last 8-port builders out there. Midex is dead, the Emagic AMT8 is dead (and I don't have Logic), Edirol quit with their UM really quickly, ESI's crap, M-Audio has 4 ports at most, and even Digidesign quit with their 8-port ProTools (which I don't have anyway) MIDI interface.

I'd kill for M-Audio to make a new 8x8 with an open accelerated timing/linear timing system with high-quality drivers so every host could just use those and have tight MIDI timing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

What the gently caress is that thing?

Ooh! I know! Let's type the name in Google!

First link: http://www.bleeplabs.com/

In huge letters on the front page, it says "What is it?"

and then you end up here: http://www.bleeplabs.com/bleepwhat.html

edit: beaten like 2 detuned oscillators :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ToiletDuk posted:

Behringer Xenyx1204 12-input mixer with 4 analog pre-amps and phantom power. The pres are actually surprisingly good for such a cheap mixer. I think it cost me $125 and I like the sound better than my dbX mini-pre which cost me the same.
I got a 1002FX when I was looking for a pre, because it had stereo outputs (and I have synths with stereo inputs), plus it had more than one pre, and an EQ. And effects; the reverb is not stellar, but a gigantic improvement over their first virtualizers.

quote:

Most recent purchase: Radikal Technologies SAC-2.2 software assigned controller. Transport, jog wheel, 8 digital pots and 8 motorized faders, integrates seamlessly with pro-tools. Retail value $1899. I paid $35 at a flea market in San Francisco a few months ago. Best deal ever.
That. Is. Goddamn. Crazy. Congratulations.