Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

FlossMan posted:

You rear end! I just picked up Logic Express for $200. :(

Yours is probably not an educational version :v:

Tome posted:

Seeing as this is the most appropriate thread for this, Jonny Greenwood uses some sort of Roland drum pad/loop thing when he performs 15 step, I was wondering what the board is that he uses, and how much it would cost.

I think it's http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-303/index.html, otherwise http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-404/index.html.

Both are simple samplers, for the 303 you have to check eBay as it's no longer available new, and the SP-404 is listed here for $395.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Then you're getting into looper pedal territory, or you control the samples with something like http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/FC-200/index.html (which is also visible in the Youtube video you linked).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mr_package posted:

The Korg Radias has gone on sale for $599 in Canada. Not sure if the new price has hit the USA yet, but both Tom Lee and Long and Mcquade are selling it for that now.

Combined with a "we pay the GST" sale (5% discount) and took this one home for $570 yesterday. :)

This combined with the dollar/euro rate is just obscene - we pay 1520 USD for this.

Congrats - it's a really nice synth :).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Less guitars, more synths - here's what's going to be my first official restauration project:

and if I can't get it to work like I want to, I'll try to build my Solina String Ensemble in there.

edit: oh yeah, and a series of tubes :suicide: to shrink my stand back to 120cm (145 now).

Jaspers Alu is the best :).

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 18, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mannie Fresh posted:

My Fantom, it's my first workstation, and honestly I have no idea on how I went without it for so long.

Also, got it for $900 with an extra MPC 2000, so I couldn't turn it down.

You paid $900 for a Fantom X and an MPC 2000? Holy poo poo, deal of the century right there.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I have NI Komplete 5 and a fair number of hardware synthesizers. However, since selling the Alesis Ion I've got nothing that does a good 303 (at least, without distortion; adding distortion makes emulation retardedly easy). I couldn't convince Massive to get as rubbery as an actual 303 and the square wave is of course different.

So I was looking for other options, and Rebirth does not integrate well, and it's old (and limited to 16/44).

Yesterday I was looking for a good software 303 emu, and I came across Phoscyon and Audiorealism Bassline 2.

Phoscyon won thanks to its lower price (59 euros) and I thought the sound was better, and after building some patterns it got me hopping in my chair because it kicked absolute rear end. Guitar Rig with the "Cat" (Proco Rat emulation) on it and whoom, there we go!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Yeah! Come one! DJ! More cheap tones.
This one came along with the SK-1 in the same package.
Nice find! I hope you eventually get the JX8P, too.

quote:

Still no 70s synth though. A Korg MS-10? A stringer? We'll see.
As someone who owns both the Eminent Unique 310 and the Solina String Ensemble - don't bother. Get Reaktor and the Solina/310 ensembles. Sounds better than the sample library, too.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

And seriously, it sounds good. I chopped up a drumloop, put a mild preset over it and the drums got oomph and suddenly I could use 'm for a d'n'b track.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Steiler Drep posted:

I've got a question regarding keyboards. I see many of you have like 3+ keyboards. I get why you'd have 2, like for example a Moog for it's analog goodness and then a digital one that kicks rear end. But why more?
There's digital ones that are virtual analog (can't really compare 'm to older analogs), there's digital ones that do FM (like the DX7), there's digital ones that do sample-based synthesis (Triton, Fantom, etc.)

Also, there's controller keyboards (which have no sounds but a lot of freely assignable knobs, which is not that easy with other synths) or keyboards you get because they feel completely different (digital pianos).

And yes, the sound is different. Character is determined by the filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. There's also of course overlap because of similar structure (for instance both the JX8P and JX3P in the picture have 2 oscillators, both can be set to saw, both filters can be set in such a way that you get a synth brass sound - and that's overlap. However, the JX8P sounds much smoother and the 3P much rougher in some spots.

Sometimes, it's just like Pokemon - gotta catch 'm all. We too know about the syndrome of GAS :shobon:

quote:

From the viewpoint of a guitarist
You guys have no right to speak, I regularly see setups with 10+ guitars. :colbert:

SteelWav posted:

Ok I will now post pictures of all my new acquisitions since a couple of months ago.

Yes. This is awesome. You've got 3 pieces overlapping with mine! :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Ok I don't know if I just did something wrong, but I just bought this:

Your wallet must be totally bled empty right now with all the purchases.

Leave something for some nice FX gear!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Don't be deceived by its appearance - it has several synth bass sounds in there that just kick glorious rear end.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

It doesn't look like the regular MIDI connection I'm familiar with...

The same deal as the one on the back of an E-mu 0404 - you get a small plug that ends in 1 MIDI I/O. It's a matter of saving space.

edit: beaten, but mine's got pictures.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
D16 has a group buy and I jumped in :).

I already have Phoscyon and I was in doubt which to get - Nepheton or Drumazon. Problem solved!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Yamaha TG-33

This is not that cool, but well it might be useful. Strangely enough I'm more attracted to the internal drumkit which sounds very '88 rather than the vector synthesis right now. We'll see.

That spring reverb with the lights looks purdy. The TG is actually pretty neat - check http://www.moosleybay.com/synths/TG33SMACKOS.mp3

This little rascal hopefully arrives next Tuesday:

I've got pretty much a complete split between a hardware- and software-side of the studio, and I've only got a single computer, so I need something to do the drums. I already bought an Alesis SR-16 earlier but its sound selection's kind of limited.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Planned for januari, this thing is in mint condition.

Got it while it's still hot - Sylenth1 group buy finishes at December 31st.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Jesus tapdancing christ. I do not know what exactly happened to the UK pound, all I know is that the digital piano I've been diligently saving up for is suddenly 400 euros cheaper in the UK than in Germany.

I'm not even counting on the pound dropping further lest some music store dealer gets the idea that they should jack up the prices to profit from those stingy Dutchmen, but I will call tomorrow to see if they are willing to ship a Roland FP7 here and accept IBAN/BIC bank transfers.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
More pictures, damnit!

Today, it arrived from the UK:

and yesterday this was delivered to me at work:

The latter is an early sample-based synthesizer that can combine basic waveforms (square, saw) with short sampled attacks. The samples can't be filtered (digital filters were too much for the CPU, apparently) but the basic waveforms can. It sounds surprisingly nice and has its own reverb, which is not even that crap. It also blends nicely with my other Roland analogs.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Another drum machine. I bought this one for the 80s sounding toms and drums. The bassdrum and the snare sound like toms, but more punchy.

There's one where they've truly modded the gently caress out of it and that sounds wild.

How's that SH2000 doing? I think it was on some older Mike Oldfield albums for the typical whistle and I've seen 'm go away for relatively cheap.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

and master of everything.
Their software division kind of sucks. Editors are horribly convoluted and they aren't pumping enough cash in Cubase (which has its own track record of sucking).

Plus they dropped AN, VL and FM synthesis :(.

However, they were among the first with all their manuals published as PDFs on their site while Roland's still not giving 'm away for free and Korg isn't doing it either - and the recent redesign of their site completely broke all legacy products.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uintathere posted:

This is the part I was asking about, thanks. Does anyone know of anything that can do this for cheap/free? I don't feel like paying for all of Live just to get one cool effect.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/2005/07/livecut.php
Better however is http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrStraightface posted:

Roland JD-800

Sliders galore. Fun times have been had

Awesome. Get the SR-JV-08-04 vintage card for it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Thoogsby posted:

I didn't know they still made Sega Genesis games.

They don't. It's a Gameboy cartridge. They still make Genesises, though - http://www.segaretro.net/comingsoon.html

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stun runner posted:

Ditto. Immediately put down the cash when I got their mail.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Computer Jones posted:

This bad boy arrived in the post today:
Very cool, distinctive sounds. I feel like it was a bargain at £51, too :cool:

Congrats! You already picked up the Hypra Rom soundset I've posted here?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

iamlark posted:

GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

That's going to be great when she's all fixed up :).

Noonsa posted:

Roland LX-10

Holy crap, that -is- a load of cash. The keyboard's really fine, though - Roland's IMHO leading in digital piano keyboards.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

YEAHHHHHH

sounds awesome, now finally on sale

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
And another one of these:

I will probably have to extend my desk now. Slowly it's growing into a mutated, cobbled-together Argosy.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Gear includes studio furniture, doesn't it? You thought my zillion rack synths would just stack like Tetris blocks and remain in that position? :v:

They indeed slide into place; there's some flexible kind of foam/rubber/whatever in there instead of fixed holes. This also means my old rack screws won't work, as they're too long, but these come with a little plastic bag with screws. The idea of having the sides act as a sort of patchbay is kind of intriguing, though, but it's way cheaper to just jam in a Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 16, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Stygian posted:

98 Euros? Wouldn't it be ridiculously cheaper to make it yourself? Surely it can't be too difficult.

Yes, it is ridiculously cheaper to make it myself. Thing is, it won't look as nice. I thought about this for a while too, then decided gently caress it - I'll pour my energies into a new, wider desk. I hope my dad can pitch in; he's a construction welder, so I am going to draw plans for a frame that extends the size of my desk. I'll have to be able to screw it apart, though - that Argosy console I linked? When those have reached their end of life, they're usually offered for a low, low price since it's far too much of a hassle for the studio owner to take it apart - not to even mention shipping it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I imagine a whole bunch of electronic musicians :f5:ing furiously right now because their webserver is still down :(.

The Scarbee partnership sounds good though, if it's going to be as cheap as that electric bass I'm going to be all over it. Elektrik piano's kind of meh compared to that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/282/Smokers_Delight

:2bong:

Sounds very chill.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wonder Bread posted:

Hooray for samplers:

Ever had an Akai MPC? If so, do you like this one better?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Kurzweil K2000 V3, Sampler expansion, Orchestral expansion, a small boost of RAM, all the original manuals and even the original box. When a synth comes in a cardboard box with nothing but the company name and info on it, you know it's serious poo poo.
Great find! As for figuring out VAST - yeah, that's not going to be that easy. But what you're saying is that it's basically in pristine condition?

quote:

Just pondering what these XLR like three pin "digital" contacts are?
AES/EBU.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Eh, whatever.

I beat 19 people with sniping bots on this one. Manually.

drat. I was shaking all the time.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.audiomidi.com/Ultra-Analog-VA-1-No-Brainer-Deal-P12692.aspx

Got it while it was hot (it probably still is). $15 for a $199 softsynth? Sign me the hell up.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

6 weeks.

6 loving weeks.

You've got to be loving kidding me here.

Goddrat.

edit: and the Macbeth eurorack? Seriously. Did you win the lottery?

ZoCrowes posted:

I have no idea what all that does but it looks like you can use it to go to the moon.

Close.

quote:

That synthesizer looks like a computer out of some grade B scifi movie from the 50's. The number of knobs is ridiculous! If you know what everything does, maybe you could fly a jetliner, too.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 23, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Another happy customer. Sounds tiiiiight, love it far more than what I've heard from Zebra.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

and

for my daughter's musical education (and in the meantime, for me :v:

and

for my DX7.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

I'm sick of using the mouse for this, hopefully it'll speed up my workflow in Ableton. Motorized fader, too.

Also (own host)

My second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

sofullofhate posted:

I love the hell out of my AlphaTrack, but if I'm honest it's mostly collecting dust since I bought the APC40. It gets more use in Pro Tools for me than in Ableton. :)

I like the APC40 too, but I never use Session mode (so most of the grid would be useless) and I sit 99% of the time. To me, the transport buttons are the most important, and the APC40 has the crossfader placed just below them which makes it not exactly the most ergonomic to use.

Computer Jones posted:

Dope. Why two? You wanna stack them in unison? Or just for multitimbrality/layering?
They're already multitimbral - but it's mostly unison that I want to use it for. Hopefully this one still has the cheat sheet included. Unison sounds really great on the DX7II, by the way; it's how it does some of its choral sounds.