Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Funny this should come up today...

I had been watching an auction on eBay for a Lovetone Meatball:

Last day, no bids, $450, buy it now at $499. I put my bid in and a maximum of $465. It was quiet until literally the last minute. Some douche comes in and tries to take it over. $475, 490, 500, 525... He takes it at $525. I literally was about to message him and call him a human being.

So with my head hung low in defeat, I bought an Electro-Harmonix Mini Q-Tron. Essentially the same thing but much cheaper and not quite as awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FlossMan posted:

A Keeley-modded TS-9 (Plus mod, for those who care)

I love my new purchases. :D

I just bought one of those for my guitar player for Xmas. Not sure who modded it (ebay), but it's got the Texas Instruments RC chip in it.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 7, 2006

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

That sucks - I hate getting beat out at the last minute.

What I just got:

Ampeg Super Jet - 1x12, 50 watts and only 40lbs. The thing is drat loud - I like to think of it as the "Half-Twin."

I sold the AC30 for it ( :( ), but the thing was so heavy I was never playing it anyway. Three flights of stairs + 80lbs of Vox = :corsair:

And something else to ENSURE I WILL DIE ALONE:

:banjo: != :shlick:

:smith:

Eh, it's ok. But now i'm anxious to get my mini Q-tron.

And hey, the banjo got Doug laid... surely you can work some mojo with it

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

Here's hopin'.

Also - This:

for this:

The speaker itself weighs 30 pounds. So much for not destroying my back...

Maybe your next purchase should be a Roadie.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Owsla posted:

Got my Epi Valve Jr Monday:

Ordered an Epiphone Dot Deluxe too. It's arrival got delayed 2 days, I was so excited yesterday when the rental office said to come down and pick it up after work.

Gold Grovers, MOP inlay on head, not bad I guess (although a bound head and neck sure would be nice on an $850 list guitar)

:wtc: Got a feeling this won't sound too nice.

Oh and I'm no luthier, but I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a nut holding the pickguard on here.

This speaks volumes. The loving Epi badge is falling off before I can get the protective plastic off.

So in short, gently caress Epiphone. :smith: (making an exception I suppose for their cheap, easily modded tube amps :) )

I returned the Dot and ordered this instead.

Ibanez Artcore AS83

Should be here Monday or Tuesday, wish me luck. :unsmith:

Ouch, that blows man. But to be honest, it'll probably work out to your advantage. I've yet to see/hear/play an Artcore I didn't like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well, technically I bought it (with my ebay account and paypal) but it's my roommate's money...

upgraded with a Celestion speaker and a volume box so he can play it with the tubes heated at a lower volume while practicing at home.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Noise Machine posted:

I also have one of these, and oh my god they can get so loud. I get a really good clean sound out of it without it being too quiet either. I didn't really buy it for the overdrive, but rather for the improved bass responce. But oh my, once I turn it at like 6 and it starts to breakup, and I click the Big Muff on? AAAAAAAAAH :gizz:

My roommate/guitarist in my band was absolutely set on getting the Celestion speaker. I'm glad he was able to find one. The volume-box was a nice bonus too. The only downside, if it can even be called one is that it's MiM instead of a US model, but he really didn't seem to care.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

Oh man. Awesome choice. I was in a band in college with a guy who owned this (or maybe a previous iteration of it) and the thing was ridiculously versatile.

By the way, how is that George Porter PBass project of yours coming along?

I got the pickguard to fit (more or less) but yea, I had to drill new holes for it and shave a little bit off around the neck pocket. I plan to be ordering a neck for it over the holidays. I thought about maybe turning it fretless for a little Rick Danko action :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Got my Mini Q-Tron today. It's pretty cool, still figuring out how to get the sounds I want. It gives a weird volume boost when you cut it on, which is a little annoying. But I'm digging it so far.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr JinX posted:

Out for delivery now-

:woop:

Where'd you get that? That's pretty loving badass, I want one :shobon:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 9, 2007

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr JinX posted:

Its an Ibanez Artcore AXF74, les paul sized but fully hollow-bodied
They are apparently extremely rare in the US- I had to email around and call about 20 shops specializing in used guitars before I found this one for $275 shipped- the last one that sold on ebay went for $400

Nice. I love the look of it... has the profile of a delta-blues acoustic. Looks like it's perfect for slide, and we all know how crazy I am about slide guitar :)

Time to start the hunt!

*blows fox horn*

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

juicy_J posted:

Wow! What year? As for the Les Paul on the headstock, the SG body style was orignally just another Les Paul signature model. I'm not sure when and why they started calling them SGs.

I think originally they were Les Paul "Solid-Guitar" models. Later just "SG" for short.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr JinX posted:

and here is my Artcore I posted about above (yes, pink strings)-

I hate you cuz i can't find one <:mad:>

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

fwoompf posted:

This took me far far far too long I guess.

Are these too big? I hope they are not too big.

We still need to hear it you doof!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Oathbreaker posted:

Can anyone reassure me that my purchase was right?

Yes, you will not be sorry. I :love: Lakland.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr JinX posted:

This one is for sale! $400 shipped (lower 48) OBO!

Its great but I am jonesing for one of those new vintage modified teles

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2354123

Contact me when you get a chance.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ToiletDuk posted:

Yesterday I walked into Guitar Center to try out acoustic guitars for new sounds that I was missing from my current selection. As soon as I laid my hands on her and heard her sing, I fell in love and had to take this beauty home for some private alone time:

I've got a couple resonators. Soon you will too, they're like potato chips, you can't have just one :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RSPsych0 posted:

I have one of these, it's awesome.

yes, yes it is. especially on bass :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

jasonvoorhees posted:

just got this last week:

I'm not a fan of the single-cut basses, but that wood grain looks amazing

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lobster Johnson posted:

Well, I splurged :fap:

A Tech21 Trademark 30. Single channel, 30w, basically a Tech21 GT2 + poweramp + speaker. I'm totally in love with this thing - it does so many sounds, does them well and sounds great at any volume.

eBay purchase #1: EHX Micro Synth! Brings the funk like nothing else.

eBay purchase #2: EHX Hog & Hog Foot pedal! This is a fun one - part envelope synth ala the one above and part octave generator, like the EHX Pog. It's polyphonic, so it works on chords, and has a few other weird functions thrown in, like a whammy style octave/step bender, a wah and a "Freeze" thing, that holds chords or notes until you let the button go. Some seriously unbelievable sounds come out of it. The external pedal saves and triggers up to 6 presets.

eBay purchase #3: Moogerfooger Murf. Yeah, another synth. This one is even harder to explain than the last. It's a very fat sounding EQ coupled with a pattern generator that steps through each band on the EQ at a variable rate, passing it through an envelope filter. Warm chorus and tremolo sounds at one end, percussive craziness at the other. And being a Moog, it's fat and warm analogue bliss. Now I'm craving a FreqBox but that might be blowing the budget.

Loop time! A big Boss RC-50. 99 patches, 3 loop channels per phrase, syncs to a pc via USB. Check out the "Rico Loop Performace" under Boss' 2006 videos.

More looping! A Digitech Jamman. What the gently caress do I want another looper for? Well, I was eyeing off the EXH 2880 as it has 4 loop channels plus a 5th stereo channel that you can mix down your loops to. Not being able to find one locally, and the fact that the 2880 only understands 4/4 time, I went with a separate loop box for mixdowns. This one also has 99 patches and USB.

Finally, some new pickups for my main guitar, a '97 Les Paul Joe Perry signature. Was a little over the honky, midrangey sound of the stock PAFs, so I went with the popular Seymour Duncan Jazz neck, JB bridge combo. Loving it so far, especially the Jazz.

Closeup:

Background: I've been in a huge rut with my playing for the last few years, which is depressing. Rather than let it completely die, I decided to set a budget and buy up some new and interesting gear, items geared towards spontaneity and tweaking. The next step will be selling my second guitar, a 98 black SG special, my old amp and some other bits of crap to fund a new guitar (possibly a Maton) and another Moogerfooger or two.

good lord how wealthy are you?!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Painkiller posted:

So I went to the guitar store today and tried out one of the Ibanez Artcore Custom's and OH GOD :fap:

It's sounds as good as it looks, it's got this great clean sound and the fretboard is like playing on butter. And the sustain is like watching a cricket match, it goes on forever!

Definantly going to buy it.

Nice! I haven't seen an AWD Custom before. Our lead plays an AWD83T but I think maybe he needs a new backup :)

How much was it going for if you don't mind me asking?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

kamapuaa posted:

I picked this up a week or two ago:

Gretsch Electromatic G5120. As soon as I made the mistake of playing it, I knew that it had to come home with me.

I love Gretsch's thumbnail inlay.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Huntsman posted:

This sexiness will be posted in the bass guitar thread as well, I am very proud of this.

Plays very nicely.

These really are good basses. I just wish Fender would make a version with atleast one humbucker.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Guitar Rig 2 software edition. I'm kinda wishing I had the foot-controller, but god drat is this poo poo expensive as it is... =\

It really is an awesome program though. It's great not to have to fire up my fullstack when I wanna play around with some effects that I don't currently own. Also makes recording a snap. I was able to dial in my tone pretty much identical to my rig.

edit: this isn't a screen cap from my machine, just a shot from their website. I'll get a shot of my setup when I get home from work.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agrikk posted:

My last birthday present to myself:

A Ampeg B-2RE head and B-410HE cab:

I got tired of having to be the guy who cranks his poo poo to compete with the others while we rehearse so I plonked down the cash for this. God I love this setup.

Welcome to the club! I think I remember you asking about a rig setup... glad you went with this setup :)

I have a B2R and a BSE410H (along with my bse115) but from the late 90s. What you want to do now is save up for a BSE115 to throw underneath for your lows ;)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walter posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what did that head run you? My brother is looking to replace his decent, but beaten to hell and well-used, Gallien Krueger combo with something a little easier to transport (at least, lighter in pieces) and higher quality. He's mentioned a few times that he'd like to try a head/cab arrangement, which I think is a good idea, having carried that loving combo a few times for him.

If it helps (in terms of response, etc.) he usually plays either a Ken Smith fretless or an Alembic Essence 4, and tends to favor a fair amount of treble and mid (to the point of borrowing his girlfriend's guitar amplifier lately) in his tone.

I can tell you one thing. My B2R is pretty drat bright. I cut my highs like crazy in the EQ.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorewar posted:

I was able to get this for a cool $1000: Ampeg SVT-810E!

Soon I'm going to get my finances together for an SVT-IV pro head with a rack case, and it will be good.

Yeah that's about the norm for that cabinet. The only problem is that now you have to hire someone to carry it around for you :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

I'd take a 1x15 & 4x10 over an 8x10 monolith, though. :butt:

It all depends on the sound you want. I like the 1x15+4x10 as well, but a lot of my influences use the 8x10.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lil Danzig posted:

Welp. I went and did it. The backstory here, if you're curious, is that my company was recently acquired by a 'big name' and I ended up getting to cash in my stock options for a little chunk of change. After a week of debate, I decided that my happiness is worth a splurge, so I just got off the phone from ordering this:

Oh my dear lord, I cannot wait for it to show up. Drool.

Beauty. Sweetwater is cool and all, but if you aren't already aware, be prepared to get a phone call from them about every two weeks to a month to see if you want to buy anything else :)

It's no pressure at all, they just like to check in with you a lot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

:black101: Drop A's me. :black101:

Knobs are neck volume, bridge volume, passive tone, treble, mid, bass
Switches are coil tap, mid shift, and active / passive.

I can't recommend Chris enough. $2000 and an 11 month wait for that, and getting a whole lot crazier wouldn't cost you that much more.

Huh, I've never seen coil-taps on soapbars before. Cool deal man, looks like it'll play awesome.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Alfa Tard posted:

Nice, Ive heard good things about the Classic. How much did you throw down on it if you dont mind me asking?

Pirateparty posted:

I'm about to start saving for new gear! If any of you musical goons have any experience with this stuff please leave your feedback. :)

First off I'm saving for a couple of amps:

Crate GT1200H/G412SHL halfstack.

Behringer BX4500H 450 watt bass head.

And mostly likely an Epi. Thunderbird fairly soon as well.

Well not to discourage you... but I've never come across a Crate amp/cab that I've liked. I mean, I've never had an experience with one breaking down on me or anything, but they just sound so... generic.

As for behringer, my momma said if you don't have anything nice to say... well, you get the idea.

The thunderbird is a great bass though. I absolutely loved mine and only sold it because I picked up a Lakland and didn't really need it anymore. Build up your neck/shoulder muscles though, the thing takes a nosedive when strapped up.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2007

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pirateparty posted:

Thanks for the input, i've heard that if you place the neck strap-screw in a different hole it fixes the nosedive problem.

Yeah, most people re-mount it to one of the neckbolts.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walter posted:

Finally picked up one of the TS9 series. The DXs are supposed to have a bit higher gain in the low end, which (considering the register of my e-mandos), is perfect for me. Sorry for the stock photo. I got mine used and it's not arrived yet.

I may go with some mods at some point, but I'm going to try with nothing but stock to start. I'm mostly after the smooth boost over heavy crunch, anyway, and these are apparently terrific for that.

I've played around with the turbo before and it's a solid pedal. A lot of people recommend it for bass-overdrive as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not mine, but our guitarist just bought a Fender DeVille 4x10. Most astounding is how much difference there is in the sound of his Tube Screamer through this amp as opposed to his solid state amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

3 for venues, I can't imagine getting anywhere near that in living quarters situation

edit: But yeah, to sum up that poo poo is loud as hell and also 3toes why don't you post in da=yobz anymore?

Dude I've probably had 50 posts in byob today alone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

82Daion posted:

Speakon as a guitar connection would be a bad idea, mostly because guitars don't output 500-1000W of signal power, and also because the cables are huge and heavy. If you're after a locking jack for your guitar or bass, Neutrik makes one.

The real benefit of a balanced out (XLR or TRS) is that it allows you to run great lengths of cable without signal loss and noise, which isn't something most players need. Plus, to achieve the benefits of a balanced connection, which is what you typically use XLR for, you'd need to make sure your guitar and amp had their output and input impedances matched, which would be difficult to do given the great variety of both out there.

The reason the Alembic uses an XLR connector (and a 5-pin one at that) is that it not only puts out an unbalanced stereo signal, but also has an external power supply which runs power to the electronics through the cable. So, you have 2 pins running bass signal, 2 pins running power, and a ground. There's a special cable you have to use with the bass that plugs into this box:

which allows you to split the signal to 2 amps, if that's your preference, and which provides power to the bass. The box plugs into the wall.

Didn't Phil Lesh do this w/ his Alembic but through 4 amps? 2 for each Pickup? Or is that just a myth?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

Golly no, that is an awful idea

I think they're string-thru.

Looks like a wrap-around tailpiece.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

ah yeah, my mistake. i'm looking at alembic's site and they all seem to be wrap-around/quick-load type tailpieces.

on a related note, this is just way too many loving knobs.

That's nothing. Check out Phil's old Guild that Alembic modified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Meatball clone. $300 for a clone but hey, that's half the price of the meatball. Hopefully after Christmas.