Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Handen posted:

For the three paper caps and the resistor it was $32cdn plus shipping. I did a little research beforehand so I figured it was an alright deal, but as far as I know you can get a box of 1000 somewhere for :10bux: and this guy's raking in the cash... :confused:

And yeah, with my fuzz pedal I can't hear the popping at all, but I don't necessarily want to use the Telesqire for high-gain stuff...

Ohh, ohh! Does it have the expression pedal input?! Also, do you know if the builder can make a DUI Ring Stinger or was this an eBay thing? :shobon:

Yeah he said he would do that if wanted instead of effects loop inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Luxowell posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Holy poo poo!

The guitarist in my band MADE that pedal for you! Small loving world!

He's a super genius when it comes to that stuff, and a hell of a great guy!

Here's his myspace page that has a lot of the stuff he makes/has made.

http://www.myspace.com/chunks717

His "White Russian" pedal is...how you say... a-niiiice
Haha nice. Although I haven't ordered one yet, but I def. want one.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Luxowell posted:

He's great, sells a poo poo ton of stuff. He's at the point now where making pedals is all he does for a living. I supports his stuff well and fixes things that break for the cost of shipping (as long as you don't run over it with a car or something).

Yeah so I hear, that's why I'm drawn to it over an actual Lovetone pedal. I found him online like a year ago and asked if he did a Meatball clone, at the time I don't think he did although he was open to the possibility. Then I just stumbled upon his work over at the TalkBass forums. I'm so glad he's doing them now, it really is an awesome pedal, and this makes it so much more affordable than the real thing.

Give him a high-five for me :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

adamrobertt posted:

Waiting for this to come in the mail. I want ittt

Nice, I always wanted to give one of those a try. When I was looking to build a bass out of some vintage/older parts, I was surprised at how cheaply you could get some of the old mustang bodies.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

adamrobertt posted:

Nooo, I loving wish! I paid $500 for the guy to end the auction early.

Soooo you paid $500 for him to end the auction and therefore destroy any protection you had for him to take your money and NOT send you the bass and get no reimbursement?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

adamrobertt posted:

Yep. As if eBay "protection" is worth a poo poo anyway. He had 99.6% positive feedback with like a couple thousand feedbacks and all positives within the last year. I'm not too worried.

Ah then yeah, you should be fine.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

I ordered a Hartke VXL Bass Attack (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassAttack} but I think I may return it when it arrives. I want something that will bring out more upper harmonic content without sucking out low end like my TS-9 or full on distortion like my Big Muff, any ideas?

Octaver :D

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

edit

Okay, I was browsing Warmoth and they got me. I saw this and just couldn't resist. Looks like I'm building another guitar! I'm gonna do a black pickguard and ebony fretboard on this one.

Tele singlecoils + ebony fingerboard = brighter than the loving sun!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bobbaganoosh posted:

This one found me last week.

I still get giddy every time I play it. Just an unreal instrument.

That finish is limited run isn't it? Congrats!

The Apathy Party posted:

I just ordered one of these from my local guitar shop.

I cant wait.

What does it do?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Apathy Party posted:

I may as well just quote the website.

"In addition to astoundingly new effects, the Chopper will produce the ultimate versions of traditional effects such as tremolo, auto pan and Leslie (rotating cabinet) effects, but all with a key difference- the frequency of the effects can be varied with the on-board pedal unit. No additional expression pedal is needed."
website here

There are samples on the site but some of them are just stupid and annoying. One of them is apparently a delay emulation which sounds almost nothing like a delay...
The panning and tremolo effects are what interested me. The Leslie effect would be fun too.

Holy poo poo...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I really want to try their Variable OverDrive pedal, wonder how it sounds on bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Von posted:

Yey, I just got the 3 Hercules wall-mounts for my basses put up. It looks awesome having them hung up.

(click for big)

The one closest to the camera is my mum's; she's currently re-staining the fingerboard and varnishing the back of the neck and head.

That fretless is hot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Apathy Party posted:

My gig-fx chopper just arrived! If anyone is interested i can upload some samples of it in action.

YES!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Apathy Party posted:

I think I may have posted too soon, this pedal takes some getting used to.
I should have some samples up by this time tomorrow.

Tease :flaccid:

Here is what I'm replacing my (now sold) Mini Q-tron with in a week or two:

Mmmmmmm.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

magnificent7 posted:

better get used to those volume settings right there... Unless you're playing Wembley. or the Moon.

Moon is booked straight through October :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

Just bought a Gretsch Anniversary for $800 with a hard case.

Seems to be pretty polarizing. People aren't really neutral to the color, they either love it (me) or hate it (most people). The advantage to the unpopular color is that it makes 'em cheap to pick off on eBay!

I'm pretty neutral to it, though I'd rather see it with a black pickguard.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

That'd probably look good, but the back, sides, and neck are the same color as the pickguard, so it kinda holds it together.

Oh really? Hm, yeah I'm just now noticing that in your first picture. Not my cup of tea but I love the sound of an overdriven Gretsch.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

My hotrod deville has been nothing less than a pain in the rear end since I bought it. I noticed that I cannot get a clean sound out of it now, there is always a hint of overdriver. Any guesses on what it could be?

And yes, its on the right channel.

Roll back off of your input volume on your guitar a bit maybe? You might just have some hot pickups. Our guitarist has a DeVille 4x10 and it has the most beautiful clean channel I have ever heard in an amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Bought it brand new about 6 months ago. I didn't actually have possession of it until 2 months after I bought it thought due to a faulty foot switch that took forever to fix.

edit : Does anyone have a Hotrod DeVille that they could mic with a decent overdrive sound? I can't seem to find anything I like.

The nicest sound our guitarist gets out of it (in my opinion) is clean channel w/ a Tube Screamer kicked in. His dirty channel is nice, but a lot of people have called the DeVille's dirty channel too muddy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Yeah, thats exactly how I find it. I was going to buy a ts808, but I keep buying distortion/overdrive pedals and keep being disappointed, so I want to try it out on my amp first.

well the thing about any incarnation of the Tube Screamers is that if you don't like it, you can always find someone who wants a used one. So I say pick out a used one on eBay and then turn around and sell it if you don't like it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Jesus. Did it come with some roadies?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Should be here early next week.

Educate yo'self, fool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmtI1sOK3Y

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Just got my micro pog hoooooooly poo poo. look for a full review sometime this week.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Raze posted:

Please please please make some samples of it through some nice distortion. I'm dying to hear how the fat sub-octaves sound with some dirt!

I don't use distortion on my bass, but I'll see if I can borrow my roommate's big muff.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

It does octave up, right? How does it track on the lower notes of the bass?

Flawlessly, even on slap. I've been unable to make it stutter. And yes, same with octave up. It's really nice to have the octave up at about noon to boost the harmonics.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

I always loved throwing a bass whammy with a doubled octave up in front of something like a Moogerfooger Low Pass, so maybe a Pog and....something else would get the job done.

..although now that I think about it the best part about the whammy was detuning the top octave by a quarterstep and letting the resulting out-of-tuneness activate the envelope filter. :D

I'm not really sure how well it interacts with other pedals yet since I've cleaned out my board. I know it does NOT interact well with my SYB-3, but that's to be expected.

My XO Qtron+ envelope filter should be arriving sometime this week and it has its own effects loop, might throw it in there to see how it sounds.

EDIT: But now that I'm thinking about it... the Micro POG has a Dry-Out, I'm sure if I ran that into my SYB-3 I'd get better results and just have the wet octave side by side with the synth instead of having the wet effect trying to trigger the synth. Man I love EHX...

EDIT2: I'd just need a split-cable to go into my amp head tho... Ooooo I wonder what the POG would sound like being the input into my talkbox...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 27, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Dammit, in my boredom at work I've written out an entire review of the Micro POG. Now I just need to record the samples. Must... wait... to... post...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Syrus posted:

Minus the Bear uses a HOG or POG sometimes and they have a massive effects chain so it must work with other pedals to some extent.

Well if they're a large touring act then they may very well be running effects into separate cabs; running the effects parallel so to speak.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JohnnySmitch posted:

Did you repaint it with a brush?

I think those are fingerprints/smudges.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

I uhhhh skipped out on the Reverend & Telecaster buys and opted for something to round out my P-bass, Jazz-bass, Tobias and Ibanez sound with something... else.

you son of a bitch

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mike N Eich posted:

This is an issue with me, also. I'm going to be buying a new bass soon and a smaller neck is pretty important. I really like the feel of the Jazz neck, hows the Bongo neck as well?

Bongo is wider at the nut than the Jazz but slightly thinner than the P. Radius is 11" on the bongo, 9.5" on both fenders.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mighty Scoop posted:

Just ordered an Avatar B212 Neo from steamcomusic.com. Finally, I won't have to play through a Rumble 60 anymore.

What kind of amp-head did you get for it?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
:confused:

Not trying to start an amp-war here, just curious :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

Neato. Thomastik-Infields are about the best flats you can find; they'll last forever, too. Hollowbody basses are great, a completely different feel than a solid. In fact, I think the tonal differences between hollow & solid are even more noticeable on a bass than on an electric guitar.

They also sound utterly amazing through an overdriven tube amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

I just put 150 down on this. What is the current standpoint on these?

EB-3L or short scale?

Either way I love the sound of gibson basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

What are you talking about?

It's a short scale. I've been searching for a short scale for a really long time that doesn't play like poo poo, I have tiny tiny hands.

Ahh I see now it's the supreme. Haven't heard much about them, I'm sure the only difference between this and the regular SG bass is the flame top. You should be happy with it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

it's really neck heavy though, is there anything that I can do about that?

Doubtful, the strap lug is already back behind the neck heel. Either do some curls in the gym or look really gay and use an acoustic-style strap...

Just try to hold it more upright I guess while you're playing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Oh yes.

Ukulele is so much loving fun. I love my cheap $20 walmart uke :)

Well I'm returning my EHX XO Qtron+ today, going to do an exchange since I believe I got a faulty unit. It literally sounds like an electrical arc when I engage it. Very loud POP comes through my speakers. Hopefully its just a lemon. However, if its not, I'm going to go a different round and return it and get one of these:

Suggested by warwick5s. In my ongoing quest to turn my Ampeg B-stack into an SVT without dropping $3k :shobon:

Honestly though I love the tone coming out of my stack, I just want that SVT-overdrive available.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

loving thing won't stay in tune though. Any songs you recommend I learn first?

Over the Rainbow will get you laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ichron posted:

If that will get you laid, this will get you into an orgy of 20 women and you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

Yup, Jake is simply amazing.