Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Weird, I realize I posted this on the guitar thread but not this gear thread.

Squier vintage modified 72 telecaster thinline. After a week or so of playing it, I've realized something must be wrong with the wiring from the factory. The bridge and middle switch position has both pickups activated in both positions. Also had to adjust the truss rod and play with the intonation now it sounds great. They do a free setup and new strings so I'm going to bring it in and have them check it out.

The same day I bought that, I went to another store to check out an acoustic I was dead set on purchasing (Martin road series d10).
Then I found this.

A used Breedlove Roots series DSR/H for $800 which looked brand new. Made in Oregon, no fret wear, no buzz, and all the wood looked immaculate. Strings were brand new. It played perfectly. Sounded great, warm and balanced with nice bottom end and not too bright. Exactly what I was looking for. Standard dreadnought and came with a super plush deluxe hardshell case. Sitka top, rosewood sides and back. Mohagany neck, ebony fretboard, abalone details. Seeing what they're going for elsewhere, it felt like a steal.

The more I play this guitar the more I love it. So glad I pulled the trigger on it.

Now to decide on what to do with my old strat. Thinking about repainting, new pickguard and pickups. Recrown frets. New pots/switch.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol. Nice guitar and great score. Most pawn shops I've been to are ridiculously overpriced for guitars.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm always amazed sometimes when I see the musicians friend deal of the day. If I needed a bass (I don't) I would pick this up.

G&L Tribute Jass bass for $299 (reg $499)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gl-tribute-jb-electric-bass/l66472000001000

Wish I had bought that green gretsch streamliner a few months back for $399 or whatever it was down from $650

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My wife and I are shopping for houses and anytime we see one with an extra living room or bedroom that's the first thing in my head, music room.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Weird, I'm watching a YouTube video on gretsch right now. I'll buy a gretsch eventually, hopefully one with filter trons. Nice guitar

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I feel like your bass cabinet, cumberbund, pick, strap and shoes all have to match your bass .. and your playing in a prince cover band.

It's not a color I would personally buy but it's beautiful, maybe on a gretsch or a drum set.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Goddammit I like black/sunburst telecasters with a binding. Personally I like the white pick guard on sunburst, white pearl might be nice too. I don't really like black guards on sunburst personally.

I just got my vintage modified tele thin line in December but now I also want a bone standard tele, either blonde or sunburst. Was watching prince and the video of his first live performance of purple rain they later used as the album/movie version and the was playing his honer telecaster and holy poo poo he makes that thing scream.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When I was younger I used to think that color scheme was for old guys in Texas. Now I love it. I've thought about redoing my guitar in that color scheme.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I could listen to that guy play anything holy poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
After a few months if looking at gretsches, and a few weeks of trying to coordinate looking at this, it finally panned out. I originally wanted a 5622t electromatic but the new ones don't come with actual filtertrons and centerblock etc. So I started looking at the 5422tg (filtertrons and hollow body) but as a person who never liked gold hardware, the white falcon look is growing on me a lot. It's practically new, Korean, made in 2020. The guy got it as a gift from an ex, never really played it and came with the case for the cost of a new streamliner. The neck is fast and easy to play and action is perfect right away. So I guess I need to grease up a pompadour now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The sovtek, I bought that brand new for ... $199 with free shipping.

Musicians Friend back in 1998. I was in 8th grade and had my mom order it from their printed catalog. No YouTube reviews. No idea what it sounded like. Total gamble. I wish I had a 50 but the window of opportunity on those had passed as they're boutique pricey now. I'll never sell it. It's too loud but it's got clean headroom for miles on the low input and it's incredibly loud and heavy on the high if you want it.

I recall having a few pots replaced and the bias adjusted around 2002 and the tech at the time offered to buy it from me on the spot. I heard him playing it through two 4x12 cabs from inside my car when I pulled up to the shop. I need to buy an attentuator but never got around to it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

New gear, Browne amplification protein dual over drive. Left blue side is a blues breaker. Right green side is a nobles ODR1. You can pay each one independently or stacked. Sounds great, found it used for a good price on Michigan and had my step brother pick it up and send it out.

**Edit***

... And I just bought this today. Fender player telecaster in blonde. Basically new. I'll be selling my squier vintage modified 72 Telecaster custom thinline to fund it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 28, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't recall who was really into parkers but one just came up on my Facebook for $500. I know nothing about them but I assume a p38 isn't one of their high end models.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Honestly my squier thinline VM/CV telecaster was nicer fit and finish than my player series fender telecaster. The squier fret job from the factory was perfect whereas the fender needed work.

If there's anything to replace in squiers it's the pots.

The big things you'll get from a classic vibe are more interesting details like aged tinted necks, bindings around the body, possibly different inlays, and more unique colors.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Those CV 60s custom telecasters are beautiful. I love the binding but I want one with some funky colors so I can throw Bigsby and filtertrons into it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

curried lamb of God posted:

I still have mine from 2011, when they were Classic Vibe Custom and made in China. Terrific instrument, I've thought about selling because I now have a Fender Player HH Tele but it sounds so sick through my Princeton

Uhhh ... No like this one. Usually they're sunburst but this one comes in a special edition red metallic finish. I really like the double binding and the paint.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mr E posted:

Got my Strat in today, been wanting one ever since I started playing years ago and saw a "used" one for a great price that still had the protective stickers on it and the case/manual/certificate with it.

Protected by solid snake like all good guitars. Had to make a few tiny adjustments to get the intonation right on a few strings but the action and pickups were perfect and it plays incredibly. My Ibanez has a really easy playing neck but this Strat is on another level. Very happy I bought this instead of a PS5.

Are you in Seattle by any chance?

I saw one the other day, just like that (maybe it was seafoam) for $500 and almost pulled the trigger but it has since sold.

I don't need another guitar but drat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mr E posted:

Nope but at $500 I'm surprised you even saw it at all before it sold.

Oh I didn't see it in person, just on marketplace. You don't see a lot of maple neck strats and $500 for a Mexican in good shape, and a good color, is a pretty good price.

If it came with a hard case I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. I don't have a case for fender guitars so that would've sealed the deal.

I keep looking at my squire standard strat (first guitar) and debate finishing it. I tore it apart to refinish but the urethane base filler over the wood cracked and now I'm thinking it's not worth the effort. I crowned and leveled the frets so the neck is very playable but it needs a new pickguard and pickups.

Or for $500 I could've had a great fender strat already done. I'm not about to spend $400 on parts for a squire.

There is a nice sky blue fat strat for not much more but again, I don't need more guitars.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bought this Gold Foil Jazzmaster today

Good God that's a beautiful guitar.

Jazzmaster, gold foils, bigsby. Chef's kiss.

I really want to buy a Mexican telecaster and use it as a modification machine. Bigsby, but then gently caress around with single, gold foil, filtertrons or some combo of two of them. I just really want a sparkly body with a binding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Cross posted from the guitar thread.

Just picked up off Facebook marketplace for $250. Super clean, 06 fender Mexican strat. Vox modeling practice amp. Gig bag, stand, cable. I wasn't in the market for a strat, let alone a pretty boring one, but it was way too good of a deal to pass up. Guess I just sunk further into blues dad territory. At least it's not red or sunburst.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh the sovtek sounds incredible. From the photo, it looks like a 50-60w midget but it's the full 100w monster. It's ... loud.

As a teenager (when I bought it blindly from musicians friend for $199) I loved it's nastiness. When you turn the preamp volume up, it sounds a lot like a Marshall. Oddly enough at the time I was playing my squier fat strat through it and it screams but it's so loud. Now I mostly play my telecaster, gretsch hollow, and les Paul through it. I've only pushed it a few times, once outdoors at a show during sound check (had to turn master down to 2), once when allowed to play through a full stack at my local store (master at 6). It shook the building. I had earplugs in and it wasn't enough. I felt it in my chest. If there was a definitive moment I got tinnitus, that was it. The guitar tech who repaired the bad pots, and the two sales guys present offered to buy it on the spot (probably ~20 years ago).

Now, I run it mostly clean. With that much power it has so much clean headroom, in that way it reminds me of a fender tweed. It has a lot of bottom and mid range but it can get very clean and chimey. Probably more well rounded with a different cab then my carvin british style 2x12. Running pedals through it gives it so much more flexibility, my favorites being a TC hall of fame reverb, and my Browne protein dual OD. I used to run a tube screamer (still have it) and an OG big muff which I didn't really know how to use at the time and got rid of, which is apparently more worth a lot. I still love my tubescreamer but the Browne protein is so much better.

I love it and will literally never sell it. It needs new tubes though so that's going to be expensive :smith:

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 15, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've really wanted to try those. I'm curious if they still have the tele spank ... I can't see why they wouldn't.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well this thing just basswalked into my life ...

2017 Fender standard jazz bass, along with a Fender rumble 15 amp. $200. Its dirty and needs new strings but its in great shape otherwise. Barely played. Frets are in great condition and the pots are smooth. I don't even really play bass but I couldn't say no for the price, but I have been wanting to have one around to gently caress around on.

I might be going to look at a lake placid blue jazz bass and a hot rod deluxe v3 this weekend because again ... the deals are too good. I think I'm having a mid life crisis. I just bought two Fenders in the last 2 weeks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I will have to show my wife these comments because she was not impressed.

Honestly between this and my fender standard strat that I picked up 2 weeks ago with a vox practice amp for $250 ... I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.

I'm hoping this hot rod pans out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No joke I thought that said "Horny"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I believe that's called peyronie's disease

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Man most pawn shops I've ever been into have been awful. Terrible guitars and amps that are priced at brand new MSRP prices or higher.

I'll never forget seeing a basic rear end Mexican strat for $900 (in the early 2000s when a new one was $450). A crate 2x12 for $1000 when they were like $300 new. Maybe I just had a really terrible shop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TheKub posted:

It's not much, but my first pedal was delivered this weekend, a Boss BD-2. I like the sound. I got it used from Guitar Center and it did not come with it's own power supply so I still had to put clothes on and go to the store. Is it normal for pedals to not come with a power supply?

E: Should I just give in now and buy one of those ~10 slot power blocks?

In my experience most pedals do not come with a power supply unless they are a complex digital unit that might need something different than a 9v. Awesome pedal though, thats a classic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Picked up the squier jmascis jazzmaster today. gently caress I love this thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Neck scale longest to shortest and the two yellow in between the three whites.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nope, just white. IIRC the gretsch (5422 hollow body) only came in white and black that year. I really wanted the 5622 in Georgia green but after playing both, I much preferred the 54 hollow body despite the colors. It sounded more like a gretsch than the 56 center block. Its loaded with real filter trons vs the 5622 having broadtron paf style humbuckers, or the older ones having Hilo trons which are weaker single coils. The white falcon look eventually grew on me and I absolutely love it. I think I paid half of retail for a year old guitar so the deal and sound outweighed the color for me.

The tele I'm going to build is going to be something along these lines with a binding. I'd love a telecaster in gretsch Georgia green but custom paint might be out of my budget. I think fender/gretsch has some of the best paint colors of any brand. I'll add a bigsby and a filter tron or dynasonic in the neck. Typical single in the bridge.

Candy tangerine

Metallic Blue

Metallic green/seafoam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Walter posted:

18 years after I posted this thread, it's still going. Unreal.

Anyway, just picked this up a few days ago, thought it'd be fun to share.

2018 Explorer. Absolutely love the feel of this thing, it's my first Gibson and although I'm not sure I want any others, I do really like this one.

Got it for a steal, too, only $1100. Case and everything.

First impressions: it's actually really comfortable to play, even sitting down. Great sound on the bridge or neck pickups, and surprisingly versatile. I'm a huge Edge fan, so there's certainly that component to it, but I also just really like the guitar.

Does it still have the plastic on the pickguard? I'll never understand those people.