Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
This baby should be arriving tomorrow! I am so loving pumped

http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7439

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

fwoompf posted:

It'd being made by Keith Newell

I'm going to take really good pictures when it gets here and I'll make a thread.

You should also make a thread up at Mandolincafe. It looks great! My Eastman arrived the other day (Dennis at the mandolin store is amazing with customer service, he did a complete setup and everything for me free of charge) and I am essentially in love. I think my MAS has been placated for now.

edit: Looking at Newell's site. I really like that Halfmoon headstock he has.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 14, 2006

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
That's probably the reason I lurk there more then I post (under Rayburn). I've found it be a great resource for information about various topics even if things get really heated there because of everyone is very passionate of their views there. I find they tend to crack down on pretty tame things as well which makes me afraid to post sometimes.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

fwoompf posted:

The builders forum is especially good to search through when looking for a builder. Keith posts there under the name mandolinkgn and I read through a fair bit of his posts to get an idea of what sort of builder he was before I even contacted him. I really think it's the best kind of "marketing" you can do for that kind of thing...it was also very educational. Building instruments is such a cool process.

I love looking at the building forum because I enjoy looking at some of the creativity that is shown off there. I love it when builders try and get away from the OMG IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE A LOAR and try something new with scroll types etc. I have to limit myself to reading that place though because I keep getting the urge to try and learn make my own (I do have enough time on my hands). Eventually I wanna get my hands on a 3 point F4 or something close to it.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
New amp (Valveking 112). I narrowed my choices down to either this one or the peavey classic 30

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
That it is.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Found this in my grandparents crawlspace the other day. It's pretty decent, I think I'm going to use it as a back up amp.

(yes I am aware my room looks 'kiddy' I'm moving out in a couple weeks)

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Noise Machine posted:

Sweet jesus, that thing looks so cool. How does it sound?

It's pretty awesome for a solid state and it's LOUD. All the info I've been able to get on it was from a vintage guitar gear guide with not a whole lot. It's a Gretsch brand.

Has built in Tremolo with speed and intensity knobs, and Reverb, 2x12, 50 watts (That's where the 750 comes from apparently), Treble boosts for each channel. No gain or overdrive though, so I need to get myself a distortion pedal.. All around it was a pretty awesome find considering it was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Walter posted:

Finally finished, shipped, and received. This is the mandolin that I started this entire thread because of, back in November or December.

5-string electric, Kent Armstrong humbuckers, push-pull pot for coil-tapping.

I just plugged in and played Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne solo (one of my favorites ever) and this thing is awesome. Nice clean, warm tone when not overdriven (something that's hard to achieve with an electric mandolin), and good and dirty when I put it through my SD-1.

It's the one on the right. The middle is my other e-mando, and the guitar on the left is for scale.

Okay, so Captain Beefheart says Mandolins attract Wendy, (Acoustic Guitars attract Casper)what do Electric mandolins attract?

for reference: http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/10com.htm