Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I already bragged about this - but I'll do it again. Ibanez ACB83S or somesuch.

I swapped out the pickups for some GFS classic 57s or something and it's the shizzle - part Les Paul, part ES-135. I'm loving it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey hey hey you got a POD! You have chosen well my friend. It is wikked.

Like yourself, I get to post twice too! We are so RICH dood.

This is the Alesis io|26 - kind of like the Firepod but without all that messy quality and costliness.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Marshall JTM45! hell YEAH!

I finally decided to shut up and put up and get my balls enlarged. poo poo yeah. It'll arrive in a week, give or take. Once the cab gets here, I'm taking it into the local guitar stores to try out cabs. I know jackshit about Marshalls (well, KNEW until I started looking into this thing).

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aeon posted:

The other guitarist in my band plays a Bluesbreaker, which is essentially that in combo format. You'll love it, but don't expect it to break up unless you are playing EXTREMELY loud. It has a lot of headroom, so keep your tubescreamers and distortion pedals.

Ah gently caress. I knew that. Maybe I can pull out half the tubes and see what happens. Just pull em out at random. I hear that works.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

juan chaos posted:

I have no idea what that is but drat it made me laugh. "I have a Timmy! pedal. Sort of a Wah-Tremolo pedal thing"

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So then it's NOT a reference to TIMMAAY! from South Park? That would have been cooler. But what do I know.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Handen posted:

Why not just forget about that, buy the amp, and then get one of these to crank the amp at while leaving it at bedroom practice level:

A Tom Scholz Power Soak.

It does the same thing that the modern Gibson Attenuators/THD Hot Plates, but since it's vintage and nobody knows about them anymore, they're something like 1/3rd the price AND, unlike the modern attenuators which have a set impedance level, the Power Soak has a selectable impedance level. They were designed by the lead guitarist from Boston... an MIT masters graduate.

They go anywhere from $100-$200 on eBay, but you can find them on mom-n-pop guitar shop websites for under $100.

I plan on buying one this week. :)

Not to be Debbie Downer - but isn't this the thing that can seriously mess up your amp, if you dial in the wrong numbers?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

phantom309 posted:

DON'T get the Power Soak - those things are notorious. Get either the THD Hotplate or a 50-watt Weber MASS. They sound about the same: as good as those things get. Don't bother with the Mini-MASS or the boutique units.

I had a Bluesbreaker reissue with the Hotplate and it was magic. I ran the living hell out of that rig for years with no problems until I stupidly sold them both years ago.

The nice thing about the Hotplate is that it only comes in one impedance; 8-ohm, 16-ohm and so on. You can't adjust it. The reason this is good is that your 4-year-old won't be able to twist the chickenhead knob around on your MASS so that it looks like it's set at the correct 8 ohms, when it in fact is set at 2 ohms....thereby causing you to COMPLETELY loving DESTROY YOUR BELOVED SUPER loving EXPENSIVE KENDRICK AMP while running it wide open during a session....

Good to know. I have those. The 2- and 4-year olds who like to play twisty-knobbie time with my poo poo.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hell yeah I got a cab to go with my Marshall JTM-45. I can't wait to get these things in the same room. I will hurt people.

The best part - IT'S RED! Who cares what speakers or the manufacturer. IT IS RED!

Unfortunately, this signals the end of my GAS for 2007 I believe. The amp head, the cab, the hollowbody from earlier this year, the new DAW. I'd say I've spent my full on music poo poo for awhile. If only I could have reeled in a wireless as well, I think it would all be perfect. Oh well. Put that on the list for next year.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 26, 2007

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

glenlochrock posted:

Marshall 1959hw 100w head.

just bought on tuesday. im a proud papa. going into a Dr.Z "z" best 2x12 cab
better get used to those volume settings right there... Unless you're playing Wembley. or the Moon.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qball posted:

Bridging to different inputs will give you different results, I'm not sure I haven't played with one that much.

One channel is dirtier than the other, and each channel has a "bright" and "normal" inputs - the bright is quieter so you crank it more to get more grump in the tone. So then, you blend a clean normal and grumpy dirty channel and bammo, you've got something like Jimmy Page's tone - notice how it's clean and dirty at the same time?

But again - you gotta get them up there a bit to get "there" with the tone.

or sure, a hot plate or attenuator or put the cab in the trunk of a car a mile away. But what's the point then.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well hell yeah, here comes the Kraftwerk train. Or maybe some Duran Duran. Or Metallica. The guy threw in a DW Double Bass pedal (which I seriously doubt I'd ever use except to look hard core yo).

Roland TD3. Oh snap I'm loving it already. Of course, I have no time for it, but, hey, it's "for the kids" hahahaha right.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got this fucker yesterday!

And I just won these on ebay for $100

Oh I DO LOVE IT when mid-year bonus checks go out!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had a friend in High School who used this amp. He always used a distortion pedal for his 'tone' and pointed this beast at anyone but himself.
I loving hate this amp with a passion.
Oh sure, everybody's a critic.

To add, I just bought the greatest guitar ever made. I got wood now. When I play it, small children bow down and ladies panties fall off. Well. In my mind at least.

I played this last night straight into my amp, no pedals except a tuner for most of the night. Holy crap it sounds/plays awesome. $600. drat. Awesome.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Faustus posted:

Meh, call it a conditioned response. Imagine that beast on the clean channel, turned up to ear-splitting volume, and amplifying the incredible tone of an Arion distortion pedal. The abuse I suffered in and around that amp gives me cold chills to this day!
I think you just described my "killer tone" circa 1988, except I had a crate. Bass amp. Imagine that distortion pedal pumping through a crate bass amp. Oh, it was crystal clear sound of a turdy poo poo stain pedal. Thank god I was playing a hot-pink Fender Heavy Metal Strat... otherwise I would have been ridiculed.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Handen posted:

I returned that M-Audio ProjectMix I/O because it simply wasn't communicating with my computer, so I said "gently caress it, order me a Tascam FW-1082." They said "Okay, it'll be here next week."

I was expecting it to be "New-In-Box" but apparently not so. The box had apparently been opened, this must've been a floor model because it's got catalogue stickers on it, all of the proprietary manuals and included sofware were in a "Mother's Music" bag inside the box, and then when I take it out of the styrofoam a big black thing falls off.

gently caress AM I MAD.

Edit: I called up to the store I purchased it from and the assistant manager has been extraordinarily helpful each and every time something goes wrong so I shouldn't be mad at the company, really. He's ordered a new one and I don't have to take the 400km round trip back up there until they get it, up until that point I can use this one (assuming it's functional) and make the return when the new one arrives.
Oh no man it's supposed to do that. It's where you hide the heroin.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

todd_777 posted:

needs more knobs.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got this thing yesterday after lusting forever. I need to learn about the thing now. I debated between an H2 and H4, but in the end, why do I need two more inputs?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was on the hunt for a Gibson SG for less than $800. I eventually found this Reverend Daredevil - awesome guitar for $600.

And THEN I found a 1991 SG in Stryper Yellow. I mean TV Yellow.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Wasted old pickups

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

So now I've got both. I like the Gibson better. I hate to say it. I'd totally convinced myself that the Gibson name didn't mean crap. I like them both a lot. I'll give it a week or two before figuring out which one to sell.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Enaku posted:

I don't usually like SGs, but that thing is pretty rad.
Yeah. I'll probably do that. Although to be fair, drat the rev plays like a hot knife through butter. Guess I'll sell everything else and keep them both? How loving stupid is that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I do like the SG, but I'm still giving it a break in period. Just like your mom. Can't rush these things.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In my quest to spend way more than I'll ever earn at music, I've bought a Peavey Classic 50 212. The guy had BOTH models (410 and 212). I've had three 410s and sold each one, so I figure I'll try the 212 and see how that one flies.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I used it at a gig on Saturday. drat drat I love me these amps. I might go back and buy the other one just because.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I went to Sam Ash for the Danelectro Vibe, and they had their Fuzz marked down to NINTEEN loving DOLLARS. I'm at work now, with both pedals stuffed down my pants. That's as close to having sex with these as I'm going to get until I get home.

edit: cheap rear end pedals, but medal case! And true bypass! These are boutique as gently caress.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zakalwe posted:

I'm not getting into a debate in the new gear thread. I choose to vote with my pocketbook and take my business elsewhere. Like voting in elections, 1 person doesn't make that much of a difference. I still vote though. Growing up (I'm 31 btw) doesn't mean I have to compromise my principals.
Typically, I agree with you. However, this is sort of a lesser of two evils... kind of like Dominos Pizza's support of anti-abortion rights vs. Little Cesar's support of the most godawful pizzas on the planet.

But in this case, Dano hates gays but supports charging a fair price for a box that does little more than change the noise of a signal. HE is fighting the money-gluts for me, so I support his stance on that, while supporting other pro-gay-marriage people other places. The grownup world is a confusing place where there are no more absolutes. I hate it. I liked it better when the bad guys were bad about everything, and the good guys were good about everything. Now we've got Tiger Woods banging hot chicks and pron stars hating the internet.

Now. Back to the topic at hand. I played with these two little devils last night and gently caress yes I'll be abandoning the Line6 PodXTLive from now on, except for recording demos.

The $20 fuzz reacts to volume changes, via knobs or playing technique, quite nicely and the vibe sounds like a drat vibe. Just oooooooh oh oh.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wilkenm posted:

G&L Rampage aka Jerry Cantrell signature model. One pickup, one volume knob, and a whole lot of awesome.

That G&L looks just like my $100 1984 Ibanez Roadstar. Just saying.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wilkenm posted:

Makes sense, the G&L is a re-issue of the Rampage model, which was made for a few years back in the 80's. The real 'vintage' ones show up on eBay once in a while, and usually go for a couple grand.
For a minute there I thought you were saying the vintage Ibanez Roadstars go for a couple grand. Sure, a couple thousand pennies.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With tax refunds, wicked company bonus and a deposit for a festival gig in October, I've been on a spending spree like a whore on the crack corner. Actual photos wouldn't do justice to my buying power because (1) my music room looks like the front yard on Sanford and Son, and (2) the poo poo I've been buying is all unimpressive upgrades to poo poo I already own. Sort of.

KRK Rokit 8s. Musiciansfriend had a great deal on some scratch & dents - got the pair for $410 or something.

Auralex Gay Faggity Wall Foam Stuff, again, scratch and dent MF.com bargain ($80?) for 10 squares or something.

Shure studio monitoring headphones. Not so sure I like these - too bottom heavy (or my mixes have all been too bottom heavy for years)

Guitar Fetish Neovin strat pickups, finally swapping out the 25 yr old EMGs

Guitar Fetish P90s for my Ibanez semi hollowbody. I installed THESE correctly and they gave me a semi sure enough.

And then a gently caress ton of this to keep me up during those long nights in the studio:

edit: and I now need to buy one of these to keep the place clean, keep the kids in line, do my laundry, and solve all my marital problems:
or

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 24, 2010

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raze posted:

Hooray for tax refunds! Just ordered a Digitech RV-7 off of Musicians' Friend. They've got a 15% off a single item coupon that expires in two days: BREAK. So I got free shipping and $22 off.
Woohoo thanks for the tip. I just bought some poo poo and saved $12.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zakalwe posted:

Um, today I bought some Not Even Slinky Ernie Ball strings (12-56) to tune my Agile down to C standard.

Oh, also two 1mm Dunlop plecs. I wish I had money :(
Awesome find! Post some clips when you get the strings loaded. And yeah. I wish I had money too. I have children instead.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just found my holy grain on ebay and scatched that poo poo UP:

A 99 Peavey Classic 50 head! Yes! Sure sure, I already own this in a 2x12 combo but that's different. That's not a HEAD. This is the head. These things are becoming idiot-stupid in prices lately (one on Craigslist here in Atlanta for $650. What the hell), and I got this one for $375.

I'm thinking about getting a 410 cabinet to go with it. There's a beat-to-hell Marshal 1960A on CL for $275. But that's 4x12, not 10. Sigh. I need more money. And need to sell more poo poo now.

Curse you consumerist greed!!

edit: no, I didn't remove the shameful Peavey logo. That appears to be the trend with these things. That way we keep the secret secret, know what I'm saying? In fact, forget you read any of this. Keep looking for that 67 Bassman head for $700.

What about a Bogner cabinet? Are these any good?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1930401975.html

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 27, 2010

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rt4 posted:

Umbrella Corporation makes guitars??
Here Jill, since you're the master of tuning - set up my guitar.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally got a beer coaster for my Bud Lights.

Clean channel is wonky -- gonna get it worked on. Boost channel is loving awesome - very responsive to my playing - almost clean to Angus Young. I'm loving it. Need to get a better cabinet but who's picky.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I decided to bite the bullet and buy an Agile AL-3200 copy:

2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

The owner assured me that it's as good as the Agile AL-3200, but I'll have to wait til I get home to find out. For now, all I know is that just holding it makes me come. Like lots.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FancyMike posted:

Merry Christmas to myself. New board, power supply, tuner and reverb.

And the rest of the family. Waiting for the bulk cable that should be arriving tomorrow to get everything wired up.

:drool: That's what I have to go buy now. Pedal boards - I never thought I'd need one but poo poo, I need one now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been a good first quarter of 2011. I scored a crappy acoustic gig last Sunday and decided it might be time to upgrade from the Alvarez.

I got it used at Gtr Ctr for $625 plus case. Love the thing. Sounds good plays good and manages feedback really good. Well. Gooder than the Alvarez. And then figured, poo poo, I'll need one of them Line6 DL4s with the looping and poo poo. Sure, why not.

I hate music stores.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In 1983 I saw Purple Rain. Prince had a microphone that I'd never seen before and I thought to myself, yes, one day, I will own that microphone. Because, seriously, microphones can't be THAT loving expensive right?

$500? Are you making GBS threads me?

Luckily, I snagged this fucker off of ebay for $300. But seriously - who the hell spends that much on mics? An idiot? I'll let you know after my next gig.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Narwhale posted:

That's pretty cheap for a something that lets you time-travel, though. ;)
It's sad to think about really.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Portable hotness: (Marshall Haze 40)

Just came yesterday. Plugged my beater SG into it and I am happy. It sounds Marshally like Angus and Jimmy Page. Can't wait for rehearsal tomorrow night.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
13 years ago, I had the greatest goddamn guitar in the world. A Gibson ES-135.

Sadly, an amp died, I had to sell it to buy a new amp for an upcoming gig.

Five years later, I traded a friend the amp for a Les Paul Studio.

And then some years later, I traded that Les Paul Studio for a Telecaster.

Two years ago, I traded a guy the Telecaster + cash for a Les Paul Traditional.

Today, I traded a guy, my Les Paul Trad for an exact copy of the original guitar, the ES-135. To offset the $ diff, he also threw in a Les Paul Studio, that is an exact copy of the Studio I had.

That's some goddamn crazy guitar karma guitarma poo poo going on.

LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN HOTNESS. That finish is worn off from the sweat of an old black bluesman named Chicago Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nrr posted:

Mag 7 that's the coolest guitar go round story I think I've ever heard. Congrats.
I know! I can't wait to play it at the gig tomorrow night.

And I saw the 137s, but those don't have the P90s/P100s. But they're also supposed to be better quality than the 135s. But I don't care. This motherfucker is the poo poo.