Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I just picked up this cool little gadget:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8e2b/

It's a keychain strobe tuner/flashlight/bottle opener. Exactly what I've always wanted to carry around in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

My Artcore finally arrived! Huzzah:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Owsla posted:

What's your take on it so far? I love mine so much. :guitar:

Oh I'm in love alright. This is an amazing guitar!

Jagdhippo posted:

Well I am more interested in the AGS and I'm a sucker for pretty inlays.

Here's a close up of the inlay detail. The same pattern is on the AG95 and AGS83 from what I've seen:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2007

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Thalamus posted:

classical guitar is metal

A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas, I think you know it.

Seriously though, what kind of classical is that? I've never seen soundholes like that.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Mighty Scoop posted:

Can anyone recommend some companies that make baritone guitars? I'm starting to seriously consider one; putting giant-rear end strings on my guitars to compensate for C standard tuning is starting to get old.

I've heard good things about baritone guitars made by Schecter. Also, Gretsch makes a sexy Baritone Jet.

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Epiphone EJ-200. I need a new acoustic as well, and the Gibson version of this has been used by lots of guitarists I love, like George Harrison and Pete Townshend. Plus, once again it's real purdy I think I'm kind of shallow when it comes to guitars sometimes.

I've always been a big fan of this one:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Woo! I just got a 1979 Yamaha FG512 from a buddy of mine:

It's a bit rough around the edges but it definitely gets the job done.

Also, it's been a few weeks, but I got a mandolin!

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 7, 2007

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Roland Micro Cube:

I've heard nothing but good things so I went ahead and got a new one off ebay for cheap. I can't wait!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

The Picnic Scene posted:

I also really want a banjo.

:banjo:

As fate would have it, I'm looking to sell my current banjo. It's a beginner level instrument but it definitely plays well and I've kept it in great condition. PM me if you're serious.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 29, 2007

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Elderly carries them and would ship up north, however it would cost you a pretty penny.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

A little something I picked up so my daughter and I can jam:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Music123 is doing this $100 instant rebate sale and as it turns out I've been looking to upgrade my acoustic. I just pulled the trigger on this Tacoma DM14 E6:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Highway One Telecaster:

I got it at an incredible price through MF's scratch and dent sale. I think I'm going to throw a black pickguard on there just because I like that look better. Also, has anyone ever done the 4-way mod on a Tele? I was previously looking at a Baja Tele with the 4-way built in and really liked the sounds I could get when the pickups were in series.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

jfreder posted:

I've also been wanting a guitar to try to learn the basics for awhile, and have been thinking about getting an Agile TC-630 since everyone seems so fond of the Rondo stuff. Any opinions on that for a first guitar? Looking to get a good grasp on rhythm guitar/chords etc.

Can't wait to get back into music, seems like its the only worthwhile hobby I've tried out.

Personally I'd recommend an acoustic over an electric for a first guitar. It requires less investment on your part and I think it helps you develop better technique. An amp can often hide a lot of your mistakes and I think the acoustic forces you to listen to what you're doing more.

That being said the Agiles are decent guitars but many people buy them to upgrade pick-ups and such. For a similar price you might be able to get a Mexican Fender or even an American Peavey on eBay which are usually pretty good entry level instruments.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Arrived today! Gibson Nashville Les Paul Jr DC (Guitar of the Week #41 Dec 07), my first Gibson guitar.

Initial impressions: Very cool looking, ridiculously thin finish (texture is like the paint on the guitar), aaaaand that's about it. Still at the office so I haven't gotten to tune it up and plug it in yet.

I really wish I wouldn't have hesitated when I first saw that pop up on MusiciansFriend. Very nice.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I got my new Highway One Telecaster in the mail yesterday and promptly changed the pickguard to black:

It's leaning on my other new musical purchase, a Cajon!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Los Padre posted:

You got it! How do you like it?

It's great! Everyone keeps telling me that I bought a box but I'll sit down and play it for a bit and they'll start to understand. It's definitely something I'll need to practice though. I can keep a beat for a bit and then subtle variances in how my hands hit it seem to change the tone.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

My wife got me this sexy beast for my birthday:

I am loving the hell out of it. It's somewhere between a Fender and an AC-30 but I can get similar tones from both with the interactive/independent EQ switch. A loving tank at 70lbs though. Woo!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

My local store had it's customer appreciation sale yesterday. I picked up one of these for a great price:

I've never really had a high opinion of Digi-Tech but I guess that must be because their products always seem so gimmicky. I was messing with this and a few different Tube Screamers they had and was suprised to find that this one got me closest to the tone I was looking for and felt more versatile at the same time.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

the wizards beard posted:

can you make it play chords all by itself? can you program tunings so that plays slide lines by itself?

Glad to see they've moved away from the hideous colors. Seriously, what was the deal with that? Did they have some overstock paint to move or something?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

God drat I want to find a Musician. I've been watching eBay for like the past two months and it seems they've been steadily increasing in price. Two months ago they were going around $300 and up. Now I rarely see one go below $600. Really makes me wish I would have just bought one on impulse instead of waiting.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I just pulled the trigger on this bad boy:

Reverend Daredevil with Mean 90's and a Reverend hard case. Should be here in a few days!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I just got this in the mail!

I can't believe I lived without a loop pedal before now. I ended up getting it for only $130 through that Live Search 35% off deal for buy it now items on eBay. Awesome!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

How is that? I'm thinking about getting one next year; would you mind posting a review of it or something?

edit: Also, why did you go with the RC-20xl instead of the RC-2? I'm not entirely clear on what the difference between the two units is, beyond one of them being about twice as big and more expensive.

I really love it. It's going to take some practice to get comfortable with the thing, but it only took me a few minutes out of the box before I had it doing what I wanted it to.

The main difference between the RC-20xl and RC-2 is ease of use. With the second pedal you can stop your loops without having to bend down. The RC-20xl also has a reverse function (cool, but not really practical) and auto-start which will kick in recording only once it senses a signal. The RC-2 has a few built in drum loops that the RC-20xl doesn't (it has a variety of metronome sounds however.)

I was initially going to just grab an RC-2 because you can connect additional foot switches to it to have better control over the stop and tap-tempo functions but the RC-20xl was only $20 more even with the discount applied to both pedals. I figured the extra price was worth it at that point.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I got this awesome 1992 Seagull 12 string. It has a Cedar top and Wild Cherry back and sides, and is all solid which isn't common on more recent Seagull guitars. It sounds fantastic!

Wild Cherry mmmmmmm:

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

uk10rguy posted:

The Epiphone Blues Custom is a 15 watt Class A/ 30 watt Class AB amp with independent EQ and a great reverb unit. I scored this for about 200 dollars less than retail, so I feel great about it! I can't wait until this stuff gets here- the pedal should be here by the middle of this week, and the amp should be here by early next week.

You are going to love this. I've had mine going on a few months now and couldn't be happier.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Just pulled the trigger on a Roland Cube 100 Bass Amp:

This Live Cashback thing really makes GAS all the worse . . .

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

UNF

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

It came today!

Sounds awesome, kind of like if an LP and a Tele had beautiful sex.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

ZombiePeanut posted:

What in the world is that thing? I've never seen a gibson like that before.

Gibson S-1. They only made them from '75 to '80 trying to compete with Fender.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/s1.php

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Alain Delon posted:

I just want to go to bed and not wakeup until it gets here.

So jealous. How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, glad I bought my Highway One Tele when I did.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

In the mail now! Suck my dick, forces of nature!!!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Bart Reiter Standard:

Woop!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I bought an EUB:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

From this guy:

http://www.mandobassman.com/2x4.html

If you've been considering getting an EUB I would highly recommend this one. This guy does an awesome job putting these together and they sound fantastic. I'm a little worried about the stability of the fir but for $130 I think I can deal with some slight warping. I honestly can't believe he's selling these for this cheap because he is obviously putting a lot of work into them. This will be the perfect stepping stone for when I one day upgrade to the real thing.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

h_double posted:

Any chance you could post some sound clips of that thing?

Here's a quick and dirty recording of a C scale:

I've never played an upright before so I'm still getting used to the whole thing. Please excuse the shoddy playing. I have the bass hooked up to a Roland Bass Cube 100. The EQ is flat and I've added just a touch of reverb and compression.

EDIT: Woah, did not realize how out of tune it was. These weedwacker strings take forever to stretch. This should be slightly better:

Also included a lame little 1-5 thing. The clicking is the strings hitting the fretboard. I don't know if that's technique or just these strings. They do seem much noisier than the strings on my P-Bass, although I don't hear them clicking when the amp volume is up.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 7, 2009

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I had the same problem in an acoustic. The slot wasn't consistent across the length of the string so it moved slightly as it vibrated. Fretting the string applied enough pressure to hold the string in place. I ran a fine file through it and the problem was solved.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I bought some crap at Radioshack today and ended up with this:

Hillbilly Stompbox! I took a 4" speaker from a busted boombox and wired it to a $2 input jack. The cigar box came from a local tobacconist, he gave me 4 of them for free. I drilled a hole in the side for the input, hot glued everything together, and I was ready to go. Here's what it sounds like:

I'm running the box through a Bass Cube 100 and recording it with a lovely pencil mic. The box sounds different based on where you're tapping. Right on top sounds a lot like a woodblock, I've found the best bassy tone by flipping it over so the speaker cone faces the ground.

Next I'll make a cigar box guitar to go with it!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

butros posted:

What you got there son, is a Mississippi Drum Machine.

Original can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoPNC3ebYQ&feature=related

(I loved your clip, that is awesome).

Thanks! Seasick Steve is awesome!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I went and bought me a Dobro:

Hopefully what I've learned from banjo will transfer over to some extent. It's a squareneck that I'll be playing bluegrass style. Check out the awesome headstock inlay:

Black Lightning!

I also picked up this mexi-strat in a trade. I replaced the pickguard with tortoise shell and threw in some GFS Boston Blues pickups. It's surfy as hell:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

40's Orpheum Dreadnought

You probably can't see it but that crazy tort from the pickguard is in the binding everywhere on this guitar.