Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

RSPsych0 posted:

Wouldn't you?

Can you remove all the pointy metal bits, first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

A Keeley Fuzz Head... my new baby. Here's a clip of it in action: http://www.flossman.org/FuzzHead.mp3. It's a little bassy, but I didn't really feel like adjusting it.

The guitar is my strat with a lace alumitone in the neck and a jb jr. in the bridge. It's tuned to drop-D.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Handen posted:

a Lace Alumitone pickup because those look sweet and I'm curious to see how they sound.

They sound like really clear vintage pickups. You won't regret getting a set of those. Although mine plays a bit odd with my fuzz, because the pickup itself is low impedance.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Handen posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that, it says the impedance is something like 2.5k, which is ridiculously low. Out of curiousity, what kind did you get? The humbucker model or the single coil, and what type of guitar are they in?

I used them in the Fuzz Head clip a few posts up, just so you can get a little taste of the sound. But, I got the single-coil and put it in the neck position of a '95 mexi strat, along with a lace hot gold in the middle and a coil-tapped jb jr. in the bridge. If you get the single-coil one, you're going to have to modify the hole in the pickguard, though. The alumintone needs a rectangular hole. Nothing a dremel or exacto knife can't fix, though.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Uncle Caveman posted:

drat, those Alumitone pickups look scientifically rad. Though you say "really clean," do they sound sterile at all? That was the only thing I didn't like about the Strat Lace Sensors. :(

They don't sound sterile at all. Not to my ears, at least. If you want, I can record a couple quick clips.

Also... Agreed, how do you have your sensors adjusted?

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

RSPsych0 posted:

Yes, this is why I bought the firewire box. He was saying I could do it with USB.

What I always did with my pod was set it as the input interface in GarageBand (which is what I use. yes, yes, laugh away), and monitor the guitar through the headphone out of the pod itself. It'd record through the pod, and I could listen to what I was playing at any time.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

canoshiz posted:

Oh, if only...

I've decided my next guitar will be one of these (or at least a PGM of some sort) no matter how much cash it takes to buy it. :swoon: Ibanez's 100th anniversary or whatever is coming up too, maybe they'll release another sexy PGM.

I have to say... I appreciate Paul Gilbert as a guitarist, and that guitar is drat sexy, but the position of the volume control would drive me up the loving wall.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Snappy Zings posted:

Very excited, just ordered an SX SJT guitar from RondoMusic. I love the body style on this one, and the P-90's are going to rock me.

Like a Gibson Moderne had sex with a Jazzmaster... I love it.

FlossMan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 18, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

glenlochrock posted:

Marshall 1959hw 100w head.

just bought on tuesday. im a proud papa. going into a Dr.Z "z" best 2x12 cab

Unjumper that this instant, young man!

Other than that, you are a lucky bastard and I hope you die in a fire.

(Post clips)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

smeg posted:

I just picked up a 1974 Marshall Super lead Mark 2 100w

Purchased from a local charity shop who had no idea what it was so as a result it was stupidly cheap, I mean ridiculously cheap, under $100 AU cheap.

:D

I hope the power amp blows a tube and ignites your drat house, you fucker.

Okay, not really. I'm content with my Bassman. :)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

qball posted:

At what point in the process of upgrading a Strat does it cease to be the same guitar? Swapping out the neck would be a major change almost akin to a new guitar.

It is and it isn't. My Number 2 guitar has had the pickups, pickguard, pots, switch, and neck changed... she plays different, but still has that sound and basic feel that drew me to her. However, I would never change the neck on my Number 1... it's been broken in too drat well for that.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

hamaien posted:

If there is any single positive aspect of Rock Band, it's that there will be more drummers in a couple years.

(awesome setup, btw)

I'm almost ashamed to say that, after beating most songs on "Hard," I'm looking at electronic drum kits, too.

:( I'm betraying my guitar kind.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Awwww yeah baby, nothing like modeled tape echoes.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Zakalwe posted:

Devin's also a very cool guitar geek. Be sure to check out his "Ziltoid the Omniscient" Heavy Metal Musical Comedy Concept album. Funny, extremely well produced with some very good songs. (Hyperdrive and The Greys are in my regular playlist)

Hey now, "Solar Winds" is an awesome song, too! :mad:

If you're interested in Devin, check out Ziltoid, but also grab copies of Accelerated Evolution and Terria. You won't be disappointed.

Edit:

To add a bit more content, I picked up a set of '57/'62 Fender strat pickups for my Number 1, and they are amazing. I always hesitated on pulling the trigger on them because I've played hum-canceling pickups for so long, but the noise isn't as bad as I remember it, and the tone more than makes up for it.

FlossMan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2008

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No pictures yet, but I scored a Mighty Mite ash telecaster body with quilted maple top and a sunburst finish for $60... and spent an hour and a half with a friend of mine from the local guitar shop brainstorming parts to build the ultimate Tele. In the end, I had a set of Lace tele pickups for it along with a neck from one of my favorite Strats...

The only problem is that the 3-saddle bridge is apparently too long for the pickup cavity/string holes... so... it won't be complete until I can get a bridge that fits. Everything else is in place, though, and it looks fantastic.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

All right... here's some pictures of the almost-finished Tele:

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Well, the telecaster is finished. I took it in to see what the issue with the bridge was, and I ended up having to route pickup cavity a bit further towards the neck, and modifying the pickguard a bit. It went well, and I'll have pictures soon!

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Agreed posted:

Got one of these today!

Description here. Oh my it's nice. Very nice. Fuzz Faces are cool, modified FF's using good components are cooler, and trading something that cost me less than $40 is the coolest of all.

Fucker. I just traded in my Lovepedal 200 lbs of Tone... I've been searching for that elusive Fuzz Face clone that can match my White Dragon. That, however, sounds like a million bucks.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Ben and Stew posted:

Also, picked this up last month for about $150

You rear end! I just picked up Logic Express for $200. :(

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Well, I got my stimulus check, and after squirreling away some into savings, I went and bought my pretty ol' self a Line 6 Pod X3. Let me tell you, this thing is wonderful. I've spent the past hour or so messing with the random sample+hold effect and getting my Ship Ahoy on. I know that it was available in a model pack before, though.

Honestly, the dual tone feature is pretty neat, but I'm still tweaking to make it sound right for me, and the Gear Box app, while useful, makes my eyes bleed and has the shittiest interface I've seen in a while. Too drat hard to use.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

mono posted:

From what I understand a wah usually works best before any other pedals. Correct me if I'm wrong, ML.

I've usually put the wah last in my chain, but I put my delay in the effects loop of my amp, so I guess the wah isn't "last." However, I've found OD -> Wah has a better sound (to my ears) than Wah -> OD.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

The finished kind-of Esquire. I know Esquires had a three-way switch, but I've got a no-load pot so I can take it out of the circuit, and a mid-50's Sprague .015 capacitor on that, so I didn't really need an esquire switch.

And now... the most recent "mod" to it...

That's right. A signature from Greg Koch, the Gristle Man himself. I think it completes the guitar nicely.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Concatenation posted:

I was thinking I'd miss it, but I'm going to use this guitar mostly for heavy stuff which doesn't really need a neck pickup anyway. I actually quite like the resultant clean look (apart from the knob, of course. Anyone know where to get a nicer replacement in Australia?)

You owe it to yourself to get these and be a true playa.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

I'm a fairly heavy-handed picker, so I've used these bad boys for as long as I can remember... usually I go with the purple 1.14 mm ones. My other guitarist uses brass picks, and I think he's drat psychotic for it.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

hamaien posted:

I use the orange ones... Can't remember what size they are because I chew on my picks and all the writing is worn off every single one.

Is it sad that I dig through my picks to find one that hasn't had the thickness worn off by my thumbs? Either my sweat is loving corrosive, or I grip the picks with the force of an alligator's jaws. I can't decide which it is.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

krisis posted:

In a minute this thread will turn into PYF strings

Catgut. :whatup:

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Not mine, but my buddy's...

That's right, a Cort Curbow fretless bass. Paired with the Ampeg BA112 he got, it sounds divine.

Edit:

He sends this pic of it our way...

FlossMan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 20, 2008

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

mono posted:

Jesus christ, what is the scale length on that thing?

Canuck is right, it's 34", just like you'd expect. The body is so goddamned tiny, though.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

3toes posted:

And speaking of Ibanez, has anyone tried the JetKing Bass yet?

Probably sounds like a t-bird but I'd like to hear from anyone that has any experience with it. I've yet to see one at a physical location.

They've got one at the Guitar Center near my house... I can't quite remember how it sounded, but it felt like a dream. I still prefer the p-bass, though. Fender 4 lyfe.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

qball posted:

This is from a few weeks ago but I finally got around to taking a picture.

MI Audio Neo Fuzz. For ages I've been all about boosts and overdrives but I have to say a good Germanium fuzz pedal just makes me feel good. The load knob makes it play nicer with humbuckers and I can get some cool spluttery fuzz with the bias know turned down.

It can be a little dark with my Les Paul but adding a little treble boost after it fixes that.

I have an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe... they make drat good pedals. I think I may pick up a Crunch Box next.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

qball posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a Tubezone as well. Have you seen their amp? http://www.miamplification.com/

Yeah, I'd been following the development of the Revolution for a couple years, and the finished product makes me drool. I'd kill for one, but I just got another amp and couldn't justify/afford one more.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Zakalwe posted:

Agreed send me some guitar gear. Whatever you find underneath the sofa cushions will be fine.

I'll take whatever you find under your car seats and in the cup holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

I know I've posted pics of my pedalboard here a long time ago, but now it's down to a Fulltone FB-3 (loving awesome boost/drive) and a Digitech Obscura (a delay I highly recommend) into a custom-wired A/B/Y going into a Fuchs Lucky 7 and a Marshall Studio 15. Sounds crazy, but I think I've found my sound. The only regret I have is that I had to sell my Pickle Vibe. :(

Edit: I play a strat, a tele, and an SG through the setup and it's all gravy.