Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have nothing to post :colbert:

But I will make a thread when I get it (NEXT WEEK YESSS OH GOD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not long now (ships friday; should get it mon or tues)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Walter posted:

Nice!

I don't remember - did you mention who you had building this for you?

It'd being made by Keith Newell

I'm going to take really good pictures when it gets here and I'll make a thread.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sixfools posted:

You should also make a thread up at Mandolincafe. It looks great! My Eastman arrived the other day (Dennis at the mandolin store is amazing with customer service, he did a complete setup and everything for me free of charge) and I am essentially in love. I think my MAS has been placated for now.

I intend to. Do you post there? My nick there is the same as it is here. Cool forum although it's so weird when the average age seems to be 45 and over. Definitely a different demographic than I'm used to.

When I started thinking about upgrading I thought about Eastman for a little while but my teacher convinced me to look at some indie builders as well and that led to working with Keith.

The halfmoon is indeed pretty awesome but I dig the simplicity of the point and it was less expensive.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sixfools posted:

That's probably the reason I lurk there more then I post (under Rayburn). I've found it be a great resource for information about various topics even if things get really heated there because of everyone is very passionate of their views there. I find they tend to crack down on pretty tame things as well which makes me afraid to post sometimes.

The builders forum is especially good to search through when looking for a builder. Keith posts there under the name mandolinkgn and I read through a fair bit of his posts to get an idea of what sort of builder he was before I even contacted him. I really think it's the best kind of "marketing" you can do for that kind of thing...it was also very educational. Building instruments is such a cool process.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

This took me far far far too long I guess.

Are these too big? I hope they are not too big.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

82Daion posted:

Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

Holy poo poo :supaburn:

On an excitement scale of 1-10 are you at 27?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

1976 Fender Champ off of Craigslist. My first electric guitar amp...now I just need a guitar! :sweatdrop:

No excuses now!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

juan chaos posted:

Holy crap. You have an awesome vintage amp before you own a guitar? Congrats, that's a great amp and it's perfect for practicing. How much did you get it for?

$275. I do play guitar, just not electric. Getting one soon...not sure what kind.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

unixbeard posted:

i got a johnson

best guitar ever :3:

That's fukken sweet :hellyeah:

Here are some pictures of my new flat top mandolin

And since my other mandolin is the one that started the thread...

:whatup:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Question: Why are the treble strings on the archtop criss-crossed between the tailpiece and the bridge?

I wasn't paying attention when stringing it! :pseudo:

Doesn't help or hinder anything

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Well my 314 is pretty comprable to a 314. :mmmhmm:

I'm not sure why people would scoff at Taylor's, I like the way mine sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

2006 Martin HD-28, from a guy off of Craigslist. Had it set up yesterday by my luthier and man, this guitar loving kicks rear end.

(not the actual guitar but looks just like it):