Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I just picked up quite a number of toys myself. Not sure why except when it rains it pours I guess.

Korg Electribe SX. Friend of mine had this and fried it in a lightning storm. Even though it was under warranty, he didn't feel like dealing with it, so he sold it to me for $250. I just need to wait til Korg sends it back to me! I never would have bought one normally, but I think this will be loads of fun, and maybe just what I need so I can start actually performing my MIDI drums instead of programming them.

Boss Mt-2. Cheap distortion pedal, but with this guy's mods installed. I'm not really a guitarist, but I have a little Fender Squier I bought last year and I've been meaning to learn some basic rhythm stuff, but the onboard distortion on my crappy little amp really blows. I've heard that this pedal with these mods is actually extremely versatile. Even if it doesn't get me to start messing with guitar, I can at least use it for outboard stuff (like my favorite trick - programming MIDI guitar and then outsourcing it to a pedalboard and amp w/mic).

Furman PB40. Just picked up two of these. My home studio's turned into a monster, and I had to do something to tame it! Yeah, I spent another couple hundred on snake cables too. It'll make life so much easier though!

E-mu e6400. I actually got this a couple of months ago, but I'm still loving it, and finding new tricks it can do every time I sit down with it! I love hardware units. I just find them so much more intuitive and conducive to creativity than software samplers! I had to order tons of extra stuff to get it to do what I wanted though.

Alesis Studio24. My old cheap mixer died, so I had to buy a new cheap mixer to replace it. The old one was a 10 channel Edirol travesty of a mixer that was never really dependable from day one. From the reviews I've read, this one has some pretty lovely pre-amps, but should hold up. Good thing I don't want a board for pre-amps anyways! It's basically something to mix all my synths in, and playback from my computer, as well as an easy volume control and talkback system. This one's bound to be better than the old one, not to mention that it's got much better routing options AND is an inline board (definate plus for computer recording). Hell, it might even have a useful EQ since it has sweepable mids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Niiiiice! You've looked into this, too?

I've had (still have, but stowed away on the attic somewhere) an ESI-4000 but it doesn't touch the higher-level ones (no Z-plane, no beat munging, no .wav files).

I've noticed it, but hadn't REALLY looked at it before. I'm kind of curious now. Do you know if it'll actually let me read and manipulate EOS-formatted discs from Windows? Because that would be the sexiest thing EVER! EOS itself won't even let you copy folders! You have to either backup entire discs at a time (which is impossible if you're trying to get something off a 9GB hard drive) or load all the presets you can into memory and save custom banks. ugh!

If I get this, I suppose it means I'd need to finally find a SCSI card for my PC that works. I have an Adaptec 2940AU around here, but last time I had it in, it wouldn't actually recognize any new devices. It would just act as if nothing was attached to it, regardless of ID or termination settings.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

A pair of recent Ebay purchases so I don't have them in hand quite yet, but this thread has lots of guitar stuff and needs more synth luv!

Korg MS-2000r. I may yet trade this up for a Radias, but hopefully this'll scratch my itch for a time. May yet talk myself into trading up for a Radias though, but considering I can't find a Radias for under retail ($1000), and this beastie only set me back $230, I'll really try to love it!

FMR's RNC (Really Nice Compressor). Only $140! This little box has a ton of hype. It's supposed to be competitive with the sounds on far more expensive outboard compressors. I think it'll get here just in time for some premastering, so we'll see if it lives up to the hype! Even if it doesn't, I figure it's gotta sound better than my Alesis 3630 at least!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

OK Yoozer, you were right. 4 voices of polyphony is kind of lame for me.

So it is therefore with a little excitement that I introduce the newest addition to my rack!

It's quite pretty sitting in it too. I'll post a pic of my own setup now as soon as I find the stupid cable for my camera.

EDIT: There it is. Yeah, it looks nice on my equipment rack. In fact, I've got two Korgs there now, and they add some contrast to my otherwise mostly black/gray rack between the the platinum looking Radias and the shiny red Electribe SX.

My home studio's starting to look legit!

Now if I could just clean up some of the mess.

Justus fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 4, 2007

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

fusionpit posted:

I also got one of these

on the recommendation of a coworker. $10, off ebay.

$10...nice! I have one my boss gave me that was left over from the previous owner of the studio. It's a pretty cool sounding hardware reverb. Mine's display is out though, and would cost way too much to fix. I mainly use it for vocal reverbs at the church I run sound at, and it sounds excellent! I really wish I could see what I was doing so I could really explore. I suppose that one of these days, I'll get around to looking up a MIDI implementation list, so that I can just use MIDI to control all the params.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Avant Gardening posted:

Korg R3

My first synth, I've had it for two weeks and I'm having tons of fun making sounds on it, yet I don't know exactly what each parameter and setting does, so I haven't made any sound I can call my own.

I've heard that these are extremely similar to the Radias, since they are both based on the multiple modeling technology started with the Oasys. I got a Radias myself not terribly long ago. I've had it for a few months and can't say I've really "explored" it yet either. The whole hybrid synth thing is pretty new to me. I'm OK at coming up with decent patches based purely on subtractive principals, but mixing digital waveforms in there is a bit of a throw-off. I'm sure there is some truly magical stuff we could accomplish on our respective toys. They don't have nearly the community (that I've found) yet that the MS-2000/Microkorg engine has, so I'm not really sure what other people are doing with it yet.

Just out of curiosity, did your R3 come with editing software? My Radias did. I wonder if patches from the one would work on the other, kind of like how the Microkorg patches worked on the MS-2000.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

So I just got my Yamaha DD-65 and the PA-150, and I must say it is actually pretty sweet. Does everything I really need it to do when I'm on campus and access to a drum set is sorta difficult. However I hate the kick pads. Since I don't know the first thing about electronic drums, I have a question for you guys.

Could I buy something like this http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-KD8-Kick-Trigger-Pad?sku=449921 and hook it up to the pedal 1 or pedal 2 ports in the back then just use my twin Iron Cobras? If anyone can answer this I'll love them forever (no promises).

I own a DD-55 and successfully use a KD-8 with it. You're golden.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I made a purchase

EQ is super-smooth. Sounds like mastering quality EQ, but doesn't have near enough flexibility to really master with, but it's bad rear end for EQing something on the way to track. The compressor is FET-based, which is love-it-or-leave-it for most people. If you run a stereo mix through the compressor, it's incredibly simple to make every track sound like Daft Punk, even without using a sidechain. So I guess it's a really good character compressor. The pre-amp is nothing particularly special, just a decent solid-state pre roughly on par with anything else you could buy for the same money (which is to say it's definitely higher quality than say...an M-audio DMP3, but falls short of something like a Great River ME-1NV, or even cheaper "garage boutique" pres like an FMR "really nice pre". Which hey, I'm not pissed about that. I really bought it for the EQ, so getting a pre that's fairly usable out of it is just gravy and super convenient for portable recording, even if it's not gonna be my go-to pre.

Justus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

..did you leave the pipe and dope in there for scale..?

:catdrugs:

"These are a few of my favorite things"

They go so well together too. Like spaghetti with meatballs