Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Sandwich Maker posted:

The neck is just fantastic and the smaller size is way easier for me to play than the 3"-deep body of my Artcore. And if they put that headstock and those tuners on a moldy piece of driftwood strung up with rubber bands, I think I'd still buy it.
Those reissue Hagstroms are a real dark horse - you never really see or hear about them, but they're well made and have absolutely fantastic necks.

Not to mention a better case than most US brands. :monocle:

And dang it does feel nice to be able to post in this thread once again:

Peavey Classic 30; I wanted a 1x12 Vox AC30 but could never find one. This one came with JJ tubes, a Celestion V30 and the better-looking old cab style. I'm running it in stereo with the Ampeg - the C30's top-boost sounds great with the SJ-12T's wooden-boxy plunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

mono posted:

Those drums are jawesome. More pics please :v:
Thanks. It's a Gretsch Catalina Club set I've had for a few years. Shells are 18x16 kick, 14x5 snare, 14x16 floor tom, 12x8 tom; hardware is Pearl Eliminator; Cymbals are a 20" Sabian Raw Ride & 13" XS hats. I could use a crash, eventually, and some better hats I suppose. There's also some rusty African cowbell thing in the center.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Dr.Mosh posted:

It's so nice and clean (well, aside from the ride). my kit is a dirty mess
Of the two years I've had them, they'd (until recently) been in storage for one.

Also I don't play enough. :(

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Not really a 'purchase' but it's in my studio so I get to play plink plonk on it anytime I want:

My friend's Wurlitzer, not sure of the model (200? 200A? It's the one with the internal speakers) - he's letting me use it while he's off at college, since I loaned him a guitar for a few years....

...which coincidentally has recently returned home:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bisticles posted:

EHX Stereo Pulsar. A real interesting tremolo pedal that lets you choose between square and sawtooth waveforms, and then which side of the wave to weight. Anything past about 11' on the rate knob is too fast to be useful, but so far I'm really digging the effect.
The Pulsar is the most interesting Trem out there - like most EHX stuff, you can get some ridiculous sounds with the knobs set to the extreme. It's almost like a ring mod.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Good choice, the SD Jazz is one of the nicest Gibson-style neck pickups I've heard.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

ForbiddenWonder posted:

As someone who has terrible pickups, how do neck pickups sound under distortion? When I use mine it doesn't even sound like a guitar anymore.
It varies by the guitar and the pickup itself - for instance, the neck mysterybuckers in most Epiphones do tend to get muddy & useless when pushed hard. My favorite dirty-neck sounds are a P-90, a Gretsch Filtertron (a kind of mini-humbucker,it stays bright & clear), a Fender Jazzmaster (big fat flat coil with magnet polepieces, has a really strong vowel sound) and a Danelectro lipstick tube (might as well be a bridge pickup, clangy as all hell).

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Schatten posted:

1985 Made In Japan, 62 Reissue - Fender Telecaster. An awesome craigslist find today.

Will take better pictures in the future, but this should work for now. The bridge pickup needs a bit of work - rewiring, or replacement. Bought a set of flatwounds for it today, so in the next week, I'll get to work on setting it up.
Yes, that is beautiful - bound Tele bodies just look great.

Not sure how things were in the '80s, but generally the only real weak point with MIJ/CIJ Fenders is the pickups. My Jazzmaster had a kind of narrow Strat coil under a bigger cover, and the few Strats I bought had bar magnets under slug polepieces. No big deal, really, there's an infinite number of better aftermarket choices.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

That is loving gorgeous but dot inlays on an SG :barf:

See that look on Pete's face? He's wondering what is wrong with you.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Sinten posted:

Cordoba 40r.
Cordoba makes some fantastic classicals that are for some reason much less expensive than they have a right to be. Where is yours made? I've had a Spanish-made model 20 for a few years that just sounds amazing.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Houston Rockets posted:

I'm just worried it's going to be too similar to my Strat,
It'll be similar in that they're both guitars and they both say "Fender," but that's about it. If you like the price I say go for it - that looks like a nice variation on the usual Tele, don't see too many 69 Thinlines.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Volume & tone knobs only roll off the signal; without them the pickup is always sending full signal to the amp.

Looks great, Valve. I love the neck lamination!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

Hot drat, I had no idea these were under $300 - the first run of current Dano RIs a few years ago were $400+. Gotta pick up a baritone 63!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

I doubt it would even make it faster at all considering how I tend to do my strings. I just pull it taut through, wrap around and crimp it over with pliers. The only string that ends up going around the peghead more than once is usually the high e.
Ever wonder why your guitar always goes out of tune and you break a lot of strings?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Sure, if it works for you. But by "correct," we're talking "efficient."

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

Efficient how so? The technique I use has none of the problems you claimed it does and it's most certainly faster than any technique that requires a string winder. Unless you don't know how to use needle nose pliers or something.
Your method is certainly faster - but by drastically shortening the length of string wrapped around the tuner post, you are drastically increasing the tension on the string, reducing the ability to fine-tune the pitch, and decreasing the string's ability to stay in tune.

Take a rope and wrap it around a pole - if you wrap it one time, it'll slip if tension is applied. Now, wrap it several times - the more wraps, the more the rope will withstand tension and stay in place (picture how Indiana Jones manages to swing across the chasm with his whip).

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

Huh, just looked it up and you're right. I could have sworn that it was shorter than that.
There were some short scale Melody Makers produced in the '50s & '60s, something like 18".

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

The reason this pisses me off is that extra wraps are more dangerous tuning wise on guitars with tremolo bridges. When you hit the whammy the strings coils can overlap causing you to go sharp. Of course if you have lovely tuners when you pull back down it will go flat.

Ideally, if you have locking tuners you have keep the string wrapping to a minimum.
This old chestnut again?

Too many wraps will cause what you describe, the string binding on itself and going flat/sharp. Too few wraps will increase tension on the bend point where the string goes through the tuner hole, increasing the chance of a break.

2-3 wraps for wound strings, 4-5 for unwound. That's all you need.

And no,locking tuners don't need wraps, that's their whole point. ;)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Handen posted:

Awesome, great to see it's coming together.

Rashomon posted:

I too will add, for the record, that I have Dean Exotica acoustic guitar and think it is great.
Dean very occasionally had some unique models. A 32" scale, 17" wide, 3" deep fully hollow archtop bass? :coal:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Costello Jello posted:

And where are your pickup selector/tone knobs?
I am really hoping this will turn out to be a hotrodded hotrod - naked pickups, straight to the amp. :toot:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

SteelWav posted:

Too much guitars in this thread.
Yeah

I really should stop spending money on one-trick cheesytoy synths and just get something decent. :unsmith:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Ha, I wasn't lumping the Wurly in that "one-trick pony comment. The Quartet isn't really a "synth" in the usual sense, basically an ARP-branded copy of the Siel Orchestra. It just has Nintendo-ey Organ, Piano, Brass & Strings patches, though it is a lot of fun with effects pedals.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 13, 2008

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

3toes posted:

When I want a REALLY muted sound I kind of weave humps up through the strings so it kind of covers them on all sides.
A pair of velcro cable ties sandwiched around the strings works really well. Slide it back to the bridge for a little muting, slide it forward and it sounds almost like an acoustic bass. :science:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

edit: Although I really want a Jumbo Cumberland but I think they're discontinued.
Looks like they're still around, for the time being. They're worth grabbing, I had a Cumberland 12-string and it was a fantastic jumbo. A great poorman's J200.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

It's one of 4 'collector' guitars that Gretsch brought out, and they started off selling them at $150 a pop. I guess they sold like poo poo, because they ended up on Overstock.com @ $50 each, then $30 when it was down to only 2 of the designs left.
'Sup Overstock Americana buddy :clint::respek::911:

They actually sold really well, but I guess were just a one-off production run. By all accounts, the usual cheap-guitar fixes (better nut, bridge, tuners & strings) make these into great little players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Wang Broom posted:

...or someone went to great lengths to make it look like it has.

The general wear & tear may be honest, but I'd wager the coffee & cigarette marks were deliberately added for the "relic" effect.

Otherwise, that cab does look great, and 1x15 guitar amps are sadly under-appreciated. Nice score.