Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My new Dean 79' V in limited BlueBurst. I also put in Duncan Alnico Pro II's. Sounds and plays great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

anarmyofnone posted:

Bought the Hello Kitty a few months ago; laugh all you want, after redoing the hardware, wiring, and pickup, this thing is gonna be sweet (and cheap).

Ordered the Ibanez this morning, I've wanted one of these for a while, and the price just dropped.

I used to have an Ibanez SZ520 (in blue). It was a nice guitar, you'll be happy. The only thing that I didn't care for was the lack of inlay dots. To some people it's not a big deal, but it f'ed me up sometimes. Other than that (which is a preference thing) great guitar.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm active on the Dean Forums (one of the coolest online guitar communities if you enjoy Dean guitars, even Dean Zelinsky posts on there from time to time), and several Dean dealers on there do limited runs of special guitars if enough people are willing to buy them. Well last year the design for a special Dean Cadillac was brought up, and we all wanted a different style of color than the norm, and we wanted it with Deans trademark V neck. What everyone came up with was this Cadzilla photoshop, a green quilted Cadillac. 40 are being built, and I have number 9. Dean just got them done, and I should have mine soon (with a jb/jazz combo)

The original photoshop

Here is what the real guitar looks like, I can't wait! I know this is very love it or hate it thing, but I just love it!

V-neck's freaking rock. They feel like butter in your hands.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Archr5 posted:

The Cadillac is my favorite Dean body style, that thing looks sweet.

Thanks, I can't wait to get it in my hands. I don't know why I've always loved the Cadillac shape since I saw it, but it looks crazy yet classy in a way if that makes sense.

Best Friend posted:

Reminds me of those FDP Strats, which were also green (I think a goon here has one). I'd be stoked for that pickup combo.

Hmm I need to find a picture of one of these strats. Off to google I go.

edit - ahh ok FDP means Fender Discussion Page. Looks like a big message board community, is there a certain place to look for the pics of that type of strat ?

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 11, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

D.R. posted:

My Fender 2000 American Series Fender Discussion Page Limtted Edition #3 or 68 Super Awesome Thing

Custom shop 2 piece body, custom color (surf green). Possibly the only non custom shop limited run guitars Fender has made.

Thanks for the link, that's cool that Fender does this too, I had only thought Dean did this.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Colonel J posted:

Gibson LP Studio Mahogany, for 800$ I'm ridiculously happy.

I got mine as a gift in 05' and it plays and sounds just as good as my LP Standard, which is worth alot more money.

Here is a pic of me playing mine at a Halloween party last year w/ my cover band. You can see my red standard in the backround.

Ok well it looks like another limited Dean has got me roped in. Every year Dean makes 50 DoA Guitars (Dean Owners of America), where you just basically have to be a forum member to join. This year it's a loving Goldtop V! And it has a V-neck, Ebony board, and new Dean USA pickups!!

I'm gonna sell my Blueburst Dean V for this fucker. It's hot.

Dean Zelinsky holding one of these badboys.

There are only 9 left for sale, and I must have one!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Agreed posted:

Your best bet if you want to get a Marshall is to park it on Ebay and pick up an older one. A JCM800 can be had for as little as half the price of some of their current gen heads, and if you want that well-reputed Marshall hard rock sound, that's what it is.

Ok for the last 2 years I used a Hot Rod Deville 212, with mainly Les Pauls. I never could get the distortion I wanted with my pedals and the hot rod. Great clean though.

I traded it off (with my agile 3000) and now I have a Marshall JCM 2000, TSL 60w head, with a 4x12 Marshall cab.

I still have to use my distortion pedal with it, because it just sounds too metally and gainy for my tastes. I really want a head that can get that real raw G'n'R' type distortion. What head would be good for this ? I was actually thinking about trying out an Orange AD-30HTC head (although I have never heard one). Would a JCM 800 sound alot different than the 2000 ? Once again my main guitars are some gibson les pauls. I'm a marshall newbie.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Agreed posted:

The JCM800 is pretty much perfect for what you're after. It has less gain and, in my opinion, a better tone than the 2000. CERTAINLY a very different one. It's the quintessential hard rock head, and can be heard on some of your favorite albums from the 1980s. It's been in everything from rock n' roll to alternative to death metal and it does it all, though for the latter two you often see a pedal used with it.

If you don't like the JCM800's crunch, you probably just don't like the characteristic Marshall sound.

gently caress yeah that is what i wanted to hear. The 2000 just has a super-saturated distortion that would be more suited for metal, not the classic hard rock distortion that I was after. Thanks for the help.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

there is a guy on my local craigslist selling a JCM 800 50w combo amp for 650 dollars. Would I be better off trying to just find a head ? Would the combo kick rear end ?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Just bought this badboy. My first real tubescreamer. I tried it with this exact head though.....

Oh man....My tax return won't cover the full purchase of this. I was at the local guitar store jamming on it for about an hour today. I need to sell my jcm2000 tsl 60w head to afford this. The guy said he would do 1350.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My limited run Cadillac came into and it's loving amazing. It's snowing here so I had to take some quick snaps of my new Dean, but when I get good pics, you'll see how amazing the quilt top is. It's got a set of JB/Jazz pups in it. I threw my gibson in the last shot for the hell of it. The green is a very vibrant emerald, too bad it doesn't show in these.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

so I brought my Cadzilla to practice tonight, and man the looks I got. The JB/Jazz combo rocked the poo poo outta my Marshall. The V-neck feels like butter.

I can't wait to gig with it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm trying to sell my Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, and my Dean Blueburst V, and I'm going to buy this bad boy

Gibson ES-137

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

One more picture of this amazing guitar. It looks like my Les Paul could be sold, so I think I'm just gonna but this badboy on layaway with the cash. This blueburst is discontinued, and only a couple dealers have them in blue.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Just put cash down on the ES-137. And if I don't like it, he (The Guitar Hangar, based out of CT) said he can get me a Gold Top Les Paul no problem. Happy Birthday to me!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My new Gibson ES-137 arrived the other day and holy gently caress it is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. It looks smoking too. There were a couple small issues though like part of the binding being a bit off, and excess glue at the joints. A local luthier pretty much took care of the problems, but gently caress the guy at Guitar Hangar (where I bought the guitar). He is a prick. Anyways here are some pics (sorry the quality isn't great, the camera I have is poo poo)

[IMGhttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/thisdougsforu/ES137.jpg[/IMG]

Here is my new Dean Cadillac

And because it was a nice day outside, here are a couple shots of my Standard.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

lechunnel posted:

That is a beautiful Standard. Outrageously so. I'm envious!

What model is that to have gold bridge/knobs/pickups/etc?

Thanks. It's just a Les Paul Standard in a limited edition black cherry/gold hardware. I traded somebody my usa telecaster for it straight up, he lost a few hundred in the deal because the LP hurt his back and he wanted to get rid of it for a high end tele. Steal of the loving century for me. It's perfect.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My new Fender Powerhouse Strat in Metallic Caramel. This is one of the hottest looking strats I've ever seen. It's a MiM, but comes with noiseless active pickups, and a 12db boost. With that boost it's got the most balls I've ever heard in a strat with singles.

Here's a more closeup shot to see the metallic flakes. Looks awesome in person.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Guys, I'm in need of a good booster pedal. I don't really want an EQ pedal because I'm happy with my sound, I just needed it boosted for certain lead work. I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer as my booster, on top of my Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. It's not too effective as a booster though (and I generally leave them both on as I LOVE what the OD9 adds.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan pickup booster ?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

3toes posted:

Also we have an effects megathread for this :c00l:

yeah I'm an idiot, I guess I always post in this thread some that's why I did it. Thanks nonetheless for the advice everyone, I'm checking out all those you guys have talked about.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Your new G&L is loving hot man...but is that Gretsch a White Falcon ?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

No, this is a white falcon:

thanks for clearing that up. I'm not very knowledgable at all about Gretschs...but drat that white falcon looks great

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Altered State posted:

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

I can tell you they are the cats rear end. A dealer here in St. Louis has an AD-30 head (30 watts) and it loving smokes with a tubescreamer. It's 1300 new though I can't afford it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

AE posted:

STLOUISGOON

Do you post on GTP?

What is GTP ?

Back to the Orange discussion.....drat do I want one so bad.

This is the head I want

The cleans are very clean, and when you put it on the dirty channel, you have a kickass crunchy sound. Turn on a tubescreamer while you are on the dirty channel, and you have the crunch that I dream about in my sleep. I'm going to own this thing soon enough.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've got to try out one of those Tiny Terrors come Monday. I always thought they were a practice amp or something until I actually looked them up. The only thing that worries me a bit is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an EQ, but I guess they gotta sound good or they wouldn't be so popular, right fellas ?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've got a Marshall TSL 60w head running through a 412 1960cab A. I only use the clean channel on my Marshall and run the distortion through my pedals anyways. Can the Tiny Terror push my big cab ? Probably a stupid question. I'd like to replace my big marshall cab with a smaller orange cab anyways though. The TT combo sounds loving awesome though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. WTF posted:

God why do you use pedal distortion when you have a marshall tube head? I've got a TSL also...2x12 combo, but I just figured people used pedals because they couldn't afford a good head (ie Mesa Boogie / Marshall / etc)...why why?

I use pedal distortion because both distortion channels on the Marshall sound like poo poo to me. I've tweaked and tweaked on both the Crunch and Lead Channels, even used a Sonic Maximizer, and they both sound way too muddy/heavy metal. I've tried alot of higher end dirt pedals, and I currently run a Jekyll & Hyde's overdrive w/ a maxon OD-9 tubescreamer on top of it, and it makes a nice creamy overdrive/distortion sound.

That is why I'm looking to get an amp with an overdrive setting to my liking, so I don't have to use pedal distortion. Just because an amp is a high quality tube head doesn't mean it sounds great to everyone. I've talked to several ex JCM2000 owners, and they all had the same problem.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Wow thank you goons. On a recommendation from some guys in the amp suggestion thread, I got one of these. They are discontinued, but the guitar center in st. louis found one in iowa and had it sent there. Picked it up today.

Holy poo poo finally I've found the amp I was looking for. Great cleans and nasty JCM 800 style old school overdrive/distortion

Here she is. Crate 30 watt V-32 Palomino. This is a USA model too, not made in Vietnam. Sounds like a freight train. And because they are discontinued I got it new for 400 dollars!!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

screammachine posted:

Ha. I just picked up the head version of that from the Bridgeton store. Great amp, lovely stock tubes. Put some JJs in there and it will scream.

yeah I picked it up at the bridgeton store. I saw they had a palomino cab sitting there without the head, so I'm guessing you would be the reason why! I plan on throwing some JJs in there pretty soon.

Does your amp get insanely hot ? I mean this thing was "touch the knobs for more than a second and fry your hand" hot, after a couple hour band practice. I wonder if I should mod a fan into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Just got my new Les Paul Faded in Honeyburst. I've wanted one since I first saw one a few years ago. This guitar loving smokes! The satin finish is slick as gently caress, and the burstbuckers howl. Not to mention it looks amazing. I got a KILLER deal on this guitar from EM guitars in Wichita. I was nervous about ordering over the phone as I've been burned before, but they assured me if I wasn't happy they would take it back. Needless to say she ain't goin' back.

Here is a picture of my girls. I love my blonde & redhead :)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2008