Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
EDIT: Nevermind I didn't read your original post thoroughly enough.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 31, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Wiggy Marie posted:

Lewisje, I love your “avatar.” It makes me chuckle with glee. And seriously, thanks for helping!!!

As for people trying to not pay, you’d be, quite frankly, amazed at the methods people use to try not to pay their loans. The sad part is that most of the people I get who’ve defaulted had every single deferment and forbearance available - if they’d called 270 or so days earlier, we could’ve helped them and prevented credit massacre.
I used to have a cool ambulance-dragging-Christmas-tree avatar, and you can still see it on my awfulyearbook profile.

Anyway, I think that a discussion of how people try to weasel out of paying their student loans would make a good GBS thread, if it hasn't been done already; I've heard about people "paying them off" with a bunch of credit cards and then filing for bankruptcy, but it's both stupid and really hard to do now, and I don't really know any other :wtc:-inducing things that people have tried to do.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Syncopator fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2006

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Going into my third year, currently like 2600 in substanford loans with WF.

I had a lovely fall '05 semester, finished 3 credits. On that my loans for fall '06 were denied. Full time is 12 credits. I did 15 in spring, 3 in summer, and another 15 in fall '06. I should be eligable for spring loans if I go down and talk to my financial aid office, right?

(This is a drop 2k on a gaming laptop or spring for school type thing. I really want the laptop :( )

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Wiggy Marie posted:

Groda, what school are you attending?

The schools in question are Mälardalens högskola (http://www.mdh.se/) and Kungliga tekniska högskola (http://www.kth.se/). They don't have any financial aid offices, as there is no tuition.

The student loan agency, CSN, has offices at both, I believe. However, until I can find a Swedish girl to whore myself out to for permanent residence, CSN can't help me.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

10-8 posted:

From http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/student_guide/2004_2005/english/types-stafford.htm:

I'm confused. How does this reconcile with what you're saying? (I have Direct Loans, not FFEL.)

The Income Contingent plan is an entirely different plan from the Income Sensitive plan, and is *only* offered by Direct Loans. From what I've heard, it's a nifty plan, but no other lender does it, 'cause Direct is basically Uncle Sam and can do whatever they want. Direct loans are considered different from other federal loans (I don't know why, the amounts and interest rates are the same), and you'll even see them separated on applications (anywhere an application says Federal Direct loans, it's Direct they're talking about).

Hope that clarifies...

I've seriously considered it, Lewis, but I've hesitated due to privacy. I mean we jabber about it at work non-stop, and it's not like I'd give names, but still...

I might just start one, though. Give the GBSers something to mock.

I'll try and check into it, Groda, but no guarantees...I'm totally in the dark when it comes to foreign schools, so don't take anything I say to heart. I hate to give unsure info...

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Wiggy Marie posted:

I've seriously considered it, Lewis, but I've hesitated due to privacy. I mean we jabber about it at work non-stop, and it's not like I'd give names, but still...
Do what Clockwork Sputnik did and post it under an alias account so that Internet detectives would have a harder time figuring out whom you're talking about; of course, there's still the issue that a thread like that could give some unscrupulous persons some bad ideas:ninja:

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

For some reason I've gone 3 college years never having heard about this "aggregate limit" business. I tried searching my schools website for the limit but it doesn't seem to have an exact figure, it just says that there is one. If we consider that my FAFSA is in general always having an EFC of roughly 0 (it was 0 this year) and that grants pay my tuition and books, what is my aggregate limit likely to be?

I'm a junior at the university of north texas in good standing. I worry that I'll reach the limit and have to take out more in private loans which are pretty drat rough on the interest. The $5500 I've taken out in private loans since my freshman and sophomore year have already gained about $1300 in interest. I have roughly $9,000 thats just stafford loans. My main concern is that for my final year as a medical technology major, I have to go to clinical school and a number of them are private and don't allow for students to have outside jobs. They usually have free tuition though. This means I'll have to get by on that year with loans as I can't rely on the folks (what with the EFC of 0 and all) to foot the bill.

Thoughts?

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Merou posted:

For some reason I've gone 3 college years never having heard about this "aggregate limit" business. I tried searching my schools website for the limit but it doesn't seem to have an exact figure, it just says that there is one. If we consider that my FAFSA is in general always having an EFC of roughly 0 (it was 0 this year) and that grants pay my tuition and books, what is my aggregate limit likely to be?
The "aggregate limit" deal has to do with borrowing, not getting grants; for example, the aggregate limit on Stafford loans for an undergraduate is $23K if dependent and $46K is independent (no more than $23K of which can be subsidized), according to the IU OSFA.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
I just graduated this December and have a loan total a bit under $30,000. I tried consolidating with All Student Loan, only to receive a letter stating my in-school loans at the time could not be included.

Should I try consolidating with the North Texas Higher Education company you mentioned? I don't know what my loan status is as of now, and I haven't received any paperwork requesting payments so I don't know when or how much I need to start forking over. Is it possible they won't come calling until May?

To add to this, I have a mix of Stafford unsubsidized and private loans through my school. Where can I find out how much I owe to each loan office?

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

blackjack posted:

Where can I find out how much I owe to each loan office?
You might want to start by going to http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ and looking at your credit report; it will give you a summary of your personal debt.

You should also set up your account on http://nslds.ed.gov (National Student Loan Data System), but for your private loans you will need to go to your lender's website.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Merou posted:

I'm a junior at the university of north texas in good standing. I worry that I'll reach the limit and have to take out more in private loans which are pretty drat rough on the interest. The $5500 I've taken out in private loans since my freshman and sophomore year have already gained about $1300 in interest. I have roughly $9,000 thats just stafford loans. My main concern is that for my final year as a medical technology major, I have to go to clinical school and a number of them are private and don't allow for students to have outside jobs. They usually have free tuition though. This means I'll have to get by on that year with loans as I can't rely on the folks (what with the EFC of 0 and all) to foot the bill.

Thoughts?

There are 2 reasons you might not've heard of the agg limit:

1. You've never reached it.
2. As a medical student, you might have a higher agg limit, and therefore have still never reached it.

Agg limits are federally set, and vary by school year and level. They're about to change in 2007 (thank God), but you can find the current info on any lender site, or at the Dept of Ed's site. It's one of those painfully easy websites:

http://www.ed.gov

Whew! Too much to type!

I hate that you've had to take out so much in alt loans. When you file your fafsa, if you get very little in federal loans, ask the school if you can appeal their decision.

The only way, during your clinical, that you could take out staffords is if they will stay show you as enrolled at least half time or more.

GOOD LUCK! (*not* sarcastic)

Blackjack: Yes, consolidate with NTHEA if at all possible. That's a blanket recommendation, and it definitely applies to you, too.

If you're in grace, they could start the process for you. If your loans still show on the in-school deferment, you might need to get the school to send updated notification to have them placed in grace - and then you can consolidate.

The NSLDS which Lewis mentioned is a wonderful, magical website which will tell you every single federal and perkins loan you've ever had. The drawback is that it's updated (in terms of amounts and status) about every 2-3 months. So it won't be the most up-to-date when it comes to your loan status. The best way to find out is to contact your lender and ask.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

lewisje posted:

You should also set up your account on http://nslds.ed.gov (National Student Loan Data System), but for your private loans you will need to go to your lender's website.
This is the most useful website ever. Thanks so much for this.

I just looked at my account through the NSLDS website and in addition to my Direct Loans, which I think I will leave as-is so that I can take advantage of their unique Income Contingent plan, I also have about $30,000 in federal loans that aren't direct, from the school I attended prior to my current school. I will graduate law school in May 2008 and all loans for next year will be Direct Loans so they won't need to be consolidated; at this point, I've accumulated all the non-direct loans I'll ever get. Since I won't take out anymore non-direct loans, should I consolidate my $30,000 of non-direct federal loans through NTHEA now? All of these loans were made before the 6.8% fixed rate.

I saw that the new Congress intends to cut the interest rate in half from 6.8% to 3.4%. If this law passed this year, would this interest rate cut apply to new consolidation loans as well? In that case, I should wait to consolidate my $30,000, right?

10-8 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 31, 2006

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

Wiggy Marie posted:

Blackjack: Yes, consolidate with NTHEA if at all possible. That's a blanket recommendation, and it definitely applies to you, too.

If you're in grace, they could start the process for you. If your loans still show on the in-school deferment, you might need to get the school to send updated notification to have them placed in grace - and then you can consolidate.

It has them listed as deferred. I probably won't have a job until the end of the month, so would it be better for me to wait until I can begin payments, then ask the school to send notification, then consolidate?

Also, my private school loans don't appear on my credit report. They were done through the institution I attended, so is this typical?

Thank you both, lewisje and Wiggy. I'm a bit :downs: when it comes to my loans.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

blackjack posted:

It has them listed as deferred. I probably won't have a job until the end of the month, so would it be better for me to wait until I can begin payments, then ask the school to send notification, then consolidate?

Also, my private school loans don't appear on my credit report. They were done through the institution I attended, so is this typical?
I have two tiny loans from my school and they don't show up on my credit report. I think only federal loans and big alternative loans (e.g., Sallie Mae Signature) are reported to the credit reporting agencies. It probably isn't financially practical for schools to bother reporting their institutional loans as long as they're current. Most are for small amounts.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

blackjack posted:

Whoa, that's strange.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Once you've consolidated, the interest rate is fixed, regardless. Right now it's a gamble to either consolidate now with the current rates, or wait and see how they will change July 1st this year. There's no way to tell for sure what the government will do, and if they decide to cut the current rate, it'll only affect future loans, not previous or current loans. It's up to you whether you find the risk of waiting to see worth it. I think either way is fine. It's still gonna be a lower fixed rate than any credit card could offer, after all.

Blackjack, the same goes for you. If you think it's worth the wait to see, then wait away. It all depends on what your rate is now, and what it might become July 1st.

It's pretty darn strange for any loans NOT to appear on your report. You might wanna call a bureau to check and see why those loans aren't there. They really should be.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'll try and check into it, Groda, but no guarantees...I'm totally in the dark when it comes to foreign schools, so don't take anything I say to heart. I hate to give unsure info...

Thanks!

[photon]
Aug 16, 2003
Vir
I'll be entering law school soon, with no undergraduate debt and a fairly good credit score for a student (around 710) with no late/missed payments or any other negative marks. Will I be able to finance my law school education solely through loans, hopefully with a bit more available cash than the school's stated expense sheet? Law students are generally prohibited from obtaining part-time jobs, at least during their first year.

What's the maximum I will be able to get, and what's the most optimum type of loan for my situation?

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

[photon posted:

]
I'll be entering law school soon, with no undergraduate debt and a fairly good credit score for a student (around 710) with no late/missed payments or any other negative marks. Will I be able to finance my law school education solely through loans, hopefully with a bit more available cash than the school's stated expense sheet? Law students are generally prohibited from obtaining part-time jobs, at least during their first year.

What's the maximum I will be able to get, and what's the most optimum type of loan for my situation?
You can borrow up to $18,500 per year in Stafford loans (no more than $8,500 subsidized), and up to $138,500 total in Stafford loans (no more than $65,500 subsidized): http://www.indiana.edu/~sfa/types/loans_stafford.html
The remainder of your "standard budget" can be borrowed through the Graduate PLUS Loan program (subject to a credit check); all of those loans are unsubsidized, and unlike Stafford loans, there is no grace period after graduating or going below half-time: http://www.indiana.edu/~sfa/types/loans_plus_grad.html
For all other expenses, you'll probably need to take out a private loan, and I don't know much about them:(

splok
Dec 26, 2006
!
I've been wondering how good your credit score needs to be to qualify for the GradPlus loans as my credit may not be exactly squeaky clean. Also, I found it a bit confusing that on the lender pages listed under the GradPlus section of some university sites some lenders mention that a credit check is required, while others do not. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm currently enrolled at Berklee College of Music and the money I was spending on school has run out, so I'm going to take out my first ever loan. The problem is that I'm an idiot and didnt get the process started months ago, and I need to pay my tuition for the spring semester which starts at the end of January. Generally speaking, am I way too late?

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Relayer posted:

I'm currently enrolled at Berklee College of Music and the money I was spending on school has run out, so I'm going to take out my first ever loan. The problem is that I'm an idiot and didnt get the process started months ago, and I need to pay my tuition for the spring semester which starts at the end of January. Generally speaking, am I way too late?

You shouldn't be too late. Schools generally want the loan money ready to be dispersed prior to the start of the semester. However, you should immediately find the place you want to pull out a loan through, fill out an application, and have it processed asap. It generally takes 5-7 days for a loan app to be processed, and then you need to allow another week for your financial advisor to tell the company how much money they need.

You still have time, you're just cutting it close and need to get the process started asap. You should probably call your financial advisor to double check on deadlines, and they'll also probably be able to give you a list of places that offer student loans in case you're not sure where to look.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but if you haven't filled out a fafsa, then you might be too late to apply for a student loan. Usually places want you to have filled out a fafsa if you're applying for a student loan.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 2, 2007

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

I am looking for a type of loan that would follow Shari'ah (Islamic Law), I've heard some stuff about loans that could fall under this, but a lot of it has been conflicting. So in a nutshell:

Where can I find a loan that gives me the best chance of paying absolutely no interest (Whether it be by delaying my payments for an extended period of time, or through any other means).

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000
Hopefully I'll be jumping out of the workforce and going back to school fulltime in the fall of 2007 to work towards a doctorate. I know that my department and institution should essentially be paying for my education and living expenses (graduate teaching, research assistant, assistance applying for grants, etc.) but I assume that it would be a good idea to go ahead and fill out the FAFSA in case I need to take out some loans. I imagine there isn't much or anything that will be available that is unsubsidized for a graduate student but I won't know or have access to anything if I don't apply, right? Should I also be looking at some private financing options (i.e. my credit union or other similar options) to find a lower interest rate? I hope I won't have to borrow a dime but I want to make sure I keep my options open.

Am I on the right track? Do you have any other advice for someone in my situation?

Mr Creosote
Apr 30, 2004

rawr
I was considering taking some Further Education stuff, like Paralegal Certification and/or MCSE classes. Do I qualify for education loans and financial aid on that basis alone? I already have a degree, but I'm making a change I think.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
[photon], to further Lewis's advice, you can only take out a Gradplus if you're a grad student. If you're entering law school as a non-graduate student, sorry bebe. I'll add the agg limits to my OP tonight or tomorrow, as there seem to be enough questions about them to justify that. In the meantime, you can find them at any lender site, of the Dept of Ed's site.

Splok, the GradPlus loan is recent enough that a lot of the policies and information is still being hashed out. It is based on credit, though not as much credit as the Plus loan. We haven't been given much more specific info than that; what I can tell you is that if you don't qualify by yourself, you can have a co-borrower. This can be anyone. If you consolidate the GradPlus loan in the future, the loan is considered paid in full through the consolidation, and the co-borrower is no longer tied to it. It's a pretty sweet deal; nothing like an alternative loan.

Relayer, as IdeoPhanthus said, generally speaking, yes, if you haven't filled out a FAFSA. But it's worth it to contact your financial aid office and see if maybe they can help you. Chances are no, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask. If the school will certify a loan, a lender can send it. Remember, the lender doesn't determine eligibility, amount, or dates - the school does.

Keep in mind that there are also schools who have an absolute deadline. Hopefully yours isn't one of those.

Drawkcab, what you're talking about is a grant or scholarship. There's no such thing as a federal loan without interest. Go to http://www.fastweb.com and apply for anything you can. Also, go to a local mosque and see if maybe they can help you find additional funding. Who knows, maybe they have access to a loan that nobody else does. Most likely, though, you're gonna have to go the scholarship/grant routes.

Captain Kevbo, you're doing just what you should be. To give you some hope, assuming you'll be a grad student, you can file as an independant, which will make you eligible for more funds. There's also the GradPlus loan; I know the interest rate is kinda high, but look for some good incentives, and keep in mind that as a federal loan, it's gonna be much nicer in repayment than any other loan could be.

Mr Creosote, if a Title 4 school can certify that you're enrolled at least half time or more, you can take out federal loans. Otherwise, you can't qualify, but you might be able to get some private loans.

splok
Dec 26, 2006
!
Ah thanks, knowing that consolidation eliminates the co-borrower connection is really helpful. One more question (well, two maybe), if I may. I understand that there is no technical yearly cap on the GradPlus and that it funds whatever portion of the "cost of attending" isn't covered by Stafford loans. Am I correct in thinking that this "cost of attending" includes such things as room and board? If so, is this a standard number that the university comes up with based on the cost of living in its area, or is it somewhat individualized to take your expenses into account (such as, things like previous student loan payments)?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

splok posted:

Ah thanks, knowing that consolidation eliminates the co-borrower connection is really helpful. One more question (well, two maybe), if I may. I understand that there is no technical yearly cap on the GradPlus and that it funds whatever portion of the "cost of attending" isn't covered by Stafford loans. Am I correct in thinking that this "cost of attending" includes such things as room and board? If so, is this a standard number that the university comes up with based on the cost of living in its area, or is it somewhat individualized to take your expenses into account (such as, things like previous student loan payments)?
Yes, GradPLUS includes room and board. If you call your financial aid office, they'll tell you the estimated student budget for the year and that's the maximum you can take. There is a theoretical annual limit for GradPLUS, but it's something like $45,000, so they advertise the loan as having no real limit since only a very few grad students would need that much.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, but I know that all loans have interest.

I was looking for loans that would give me the best chance of NOT having to pay interest. For example, a loan that wouldn't start requiring payments with interest until 6 months after I graduate, or one that wouldn't require payments with interest until I am done with medical school.

Thus, the loan that gives me the best chance to pay back in full without any interest.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

I have a question of my own now.

It was my understanding that the stafford loan interest rate was fixed at whatever the interest rate was at the time the loan was disbursed. I have 6 unsubsidized stafford loans spanning from early 2003 to early 2005. I graduated in June '06, at which point my loans entered grace for 6mo. Anyway, all 6 of the loans state an interest rate of 7.14%, even though my first couple loans were taken out when the interest rate was 3.25%, then the third & fourth were after july 1st '03, when interest rates jumped to something like 4.5%. Then loans 5 & 6 were taken out after July 1st '04. So shouldn't my loans be at seperate interest rates? Obviously it really wouldn't have mattered once I consolidated, but I just found it odd.

My mom took out PLUS loans and the interest rates on her loans never changed from their original rates (whatever the fixed rate was during each disbursement). The only time they changed was when they were all consolidated at the end (couple months prior to July 1st '06), at which point they took on the interest rate of 6.25% and haven't budged from that rate.

I have another question...is there a way to get a better interest rate once I've consolidated, or am I stuck with 7.14% regardless of where I go? I'm talking by switching to a different lender for repayment. I already filed my consolidation paperwork with my current lender since my first payment is due this month, and I don't have the money. So I'm consolidating (which drops my monthly payments from $250 to $130), and then filing for forbearance or something to hold off on making payments until I'm employed again. Once I'm back on my feet it would just be nice if I'm able to somehow get a better interest rate. I also plan to pay at least double the monthly payment (at least whenever possible) just get the loan paid off quicker.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, but I know that all loans have interest.

I was looking for loans that would give me the best chance of NOT having to pay interest. For example, a loan that wouldn't start requiring payments with interest until 6 months after I graduate, or one that wouldn't require payments with interest until I am done with medical school.

Thus, the loan that gives me the best chance to pay back in full without any interest.
Your only option is the Subsidized Stafford Loan. While you are in school or in deferment, the government pays the interest on the loan. Therefore, if you were to completely pay the loan back in full prior to interest beginning to accrue, you would pay no interest.

Sensitive Scam Artist
Oct 21, 2005
'ello 'ello!

Groda posted:

The schools in question are Mälardalens högskola (http://www.mdh.se/) and Kungliga tekniska högskola (http://www.kth.se/). They don't have any financial aid offices, as there is no tuition.

The student loan agency, CSN, has offices at both, I believe. However, until I can find a Swedish girl to whore myself out to for permanent residence, CSN can't help me.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I am applying to a school overseas as well and have run across a little bit of information.
When filling out the information on the FAFSA, you will come to a section for finding your school code. If you select "foreign schools" under the state listings, you will get a list of all the foreign schools supported by the FAFSA. Kungliga is listed, however Malardalens is not as far as I can tell. It does mention at the top of the page that you may need to send your SAR information to the school itself, as not all schools are able to receive this information electronically.
I also read somewhere in all my research, (and I wish I remember where), that it might be possible to get the qualification for your school, if it has not previously been qualified. It was a long process, but if you need the loans, it might be something to look into.
Hopefully this will help and sorry if I'm stepping on Wiggy Marie's toes.

carbon sixty
Jan 23, 2006

This isn't rocks for jocks.
This is fantastic. I am in the process of applying to graduate school and am considering all my financial options. I'm 25, currently a full-time professional, but once I'm in school, I will be going full-time, so working is not possible. I'm applying to a state school, so I'll be tuition-free, but will need money to cover my full rent, all living expenses (including car maint. and insurance) and school fees (apx $1,800 per semester). I may have partial assistance from my parents, but their sitution is uncertain. I guess it's kind of similar to EpicProportion's situation.

I know you mentioned you might be able to research alternative loans through a school, I was wondering if at all possible, if you could see what turns up for San Francisco State University (SFSU)? I'm applying to the Applied Geosciences program, if that makes any difference.

I'm gonna get myself over to the internet sites you mentioned, and see what I can do from there. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Sensitive Scam Artist posted:

I don't know if this will help or not, but I am applying to a school overseas as well and have run across a little bit of information.
When filling out the information on the FAFSA, you will come to a section for finding your school code. If you select "foreign schools" under the state listings, you will get a list of all the foreign schools supported by the FAFSA. Kungliga is listed, however Malardalens is not as far as I can tell. It does mention at the top of the page that you may need to send your SAR information to the school itself, as not all schools are able to receive this information electronically.
I also read somewhere in all my research, (and I wish I remember where), that it might be possible to get the qualification for your school, if it has not previously been qualified. It was a long process, but if you need the loans, it might be something to look into.

I am a poor college student, so I can only offer you sexual favors for that information. I hope you're secure enough in your heterosexuality to accept this humble blow job for what it is.

quote:

Hopefully this will help and sorry if I'm stepping on Wiggy Marie's toes.

Maybe Wiggy Marie could help me with the whole accreditation thing. The Swedish langugage program here would love to have some more Americans.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey, thanks for posting this thread. I'm moving to Michigan tomorrow morning to attend school for a masters degree. I have about $3500 in credit card debt, one previous graduate stafford loan (around $6000), a $7000 BoA loan coming due this month, around $5000 in tuition, plus my living expenses for this semester and part of next summer. I filled out the FAFSA and applied for a Stafford loan. I received an award letter from my school stating that I was being awarded a $4400 unsubsidized W.D. Ford Direct Loan. This isn't even close to what I'm going to need. I've tried to call school to talk to them about it, but the campus is closed until the 4th. I would like to take out maximum of $18,500 (I have received no other federal funds this school year). Am I entitled to do so? Can the school deny me the money? If I can't get the maximum, what else can I do, quickly, because a great deal is coming due very soon. TIA.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
To the people offering advice in my absence: Oh my God how I hate you! Offering timely advice while I'm away for hours at a time, so that people who check back will have an answer? How could you poo poo up my thread?!

Seriously, thanks for the assistance. Because of my hours, I can't check the thread during the daytime, which leaves a lot of unanswered questions in the meantime. Anyone who has researched or knows what they're talking about is more than welcome to contribute advice. Personal experience a plus!!!

The only reason I'd be annoyed is if someone gave incorrect info, which hasn't happened so far. Keep it up, keep it up!

Splok: As 10-8 said, yes, you are correct in assuming so. Yes, the school does still have the ability to lower the amount requested to the amount they think you need. It is always best to contact the school and ask exactly how much you can take out. To cheer you up, though, I’ve seen schools lower the amount exactly twice, and I’ve been working with this agent for a year now. It’s rare, but it CAN happen. Better safe than short on funds.

Drawcab, as 10-8 said, your only option remains subsidized loans. I still stand by my earlier advice though; a mosque might have some info for you, and fastweb.com is a great resource.

Ideophanthus, the rate only just became fixed after July 1st this year. Previously, it varied every year on July 1st. Some older loans have insane interest rates, if it makes you feel any better (12% ahoy!). This policy can change every year, if the government so chooses. Your MPN has the variable info on it; in fact, it still has that info. Yey for the Dept of Ed being on the ball! We’re kinda hoping this means they didn’t really mean that it’s fixed, but the Dept can do whatever it wants with some things.

If your mom took out those Plus loans in the past 4 years or so, the rate changed. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but they have changed every year. It was 6.1% '05='06, and it’s 7.94% this year (only for loans taken out before 07/01/06).

The interest rate is federally regulated, so what you can do is consolidate with someone who offers incentives on top of the rate. You know who I’m gonna recommend, so don’t make me repeat myself :).

It’s better to wait for closer to July 1st and see how the rates will change; if they’re rising, you can consolidate to keep the lower rate you have, or wait and see if the rates go down in the future. If they’re falling, wait until after the 1st.

Sensitive Scam Artist, you rock my socks. I haven’t had a chance to do any research, and I take full blame for the delay. Sorry Groda!!!

Groda, maybe this site will help ya while I get my act together: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/international/edlite-index.html

Carbon sixty, check this out: http://www.sfsu.edu/~finaid/Alternative.html

Also, go to fastweb.com and enter your major. You might be surprised by what turns up.

Just lemme know if you want me to break them down for you like I did for the Plus loan offers earlier. All I have to say right now is: compare the Sallie Mae loan to the Educaid loan, then laugh until you cry and don’t even bother with the Sallie Mae loan.

Spiderjelly, your situation is one of the ones that makes me mad about the entire system. Yes, you may be able to file an appeal with the school for additional aid. Yes, they can deny this additional aid. If you can’t take it out through staffords, your next bet is the GradPlus. Barring this, you’re in alt loan territory.

KIBBLES, if you’re still around, I got some additional info for ya:

The HPSL is a federal loan program through the Dept. of Health & Human
Services. Parent income DOES have to be included, regardless of the
student's age. The loan is administered through the University, so the
borrower will actually pay back the university once the loan goes into
repayment. It is a need-based loan, so the borrower needs to fill out
the FAFSA as soon as possible.

The interest rate on the HPSL loan is fixed at 5% (just like Perkins).
It is similar to a Perkins, but it is a separate loan program. There is
no guar/origination fee, and the other federal regulations still apply.

I hope this helps you!!!

I am adding aggregate limit general info to my OP tonight, and might go through and perk up some other info. Keep an eye on the OP! And as always, if anyone would like to contribute, feel free!

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 3, 2007

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Wiggy Marie posted:

Once you've graduated, find and become employed by one of the many hospitals in the states that will make payments on your loans for you. Also, during your inevitable internship, there's a forbearance available just for you. Freakin' use it, and make payments toward your interest if you can.

nevermind, missed it

Medikit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 4, 2007

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm pretty sure I answered that in the OP. If the writing is unclear, I'll be glad to clarify, but read the OP first and see.

Also, just so people know and I know it's gonna be coming up in the next few months, I'm more than happy to answer consolidation questions. My knowledge of alternative loans is pretty weak - I can tell you the general info, but it's always gonna be best to contact the company the loan is through and ask them your questions.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 5, 2007

Kibbles
Jan 16, 2004
Go sell stupid someplace else.

Wiggy Marie posted:

KIBBLES, if you’re still around, I got some additional info for ya:

The HPSL is a federal loan program through the Dept. of Health & Human
Services. Parent income DOES have to be included, regardless of the
student's age. The loan is administered through the University, so the
borrower will actually pay back the university once the loan goes into
repayment. It is a need-based loan, so the borrower needs to fill out
the FAFSA as soon as possible.

The interest rate on the HPSL loan is fixed at 5% (just like Perkins).
It is similar to a Perkins, but it is a separate loan program. There is
no guar/origination fee, and the other federal regulations still apply.

I hope this helps you!!!

I am adding aggregate limit general info to my OP tonight, and might go through and perk up some other info. Keep an eye on the OP! And as always, if anyone would like to contribute, feel free!

Thanks, knowing these numbers and how it works will make it easier to make the decision, when the time comes, about taking the loan out or not. My parents are REALLY unhappy about the whole thing. I've got time but now I can run the numbers and see what happens, especially now that school has been put off until September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Ok, my Pell/Stafford (subsidized)/FAFSA business will not be enough to makes ends meet this year (senior rush to get all my classes and get the gently caress out), and I've been applying to private/alt loans. So far, I've been turned down for each I've applied to (two total, I don't want to impact my credit too much). My mom has also applied for a PLUS, and has been denied also. Other than fastweb, what are my options? I heard something about a $5000 loan I can get if my parent is denied the PLUS, but I have no idea what it's called or who does it. Help?

Edit to add that the grand total of loans etc that I owe is less than 4500 over my school career.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 5, 2007