Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrineShrimp
Aug 18, 2005
I just transferred universities and am going to have to take out loans, including private loans. I'm curious as to the best way to go about getting the loans. Would I just look around at various banks and such to see which has the best student loan options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Which loans, the alternative or the federal loans? And have you filed your FAFSA yet?

BrineShrimp
Aug 18, 2005
Both I guess. I really have no idea about student loans other then what the school says I can recieve on the financial aid form. I know they're allowing me to take out federal loans through the school. And yes I completed my FAFSA.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
So how much is the school offering vs. how much do you need? Also, you'll need to contact the school and ask for a list of alternative loans. They also might have this information online; gimme the name of the school (and state please!) and I'll see what I can find for ya.

BrineShrimp
Aug 18, 2005
The school is Cornell in New York. The federal loan offered directly through the school replaces the Stafford Loan program so I'm guessing I'm mainly going to be dealing with alternative loans. I'm probably going to have to take out 10k or so. So far I've mainly been trying to learn as much as I can about loans and just visiting different websites to see different lending options.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
So they gave you a Perkins instead of a Stafford? Hey, that's not bad. Lower interest rate!

You might want to nag them some more and see if there's anything to be done for additional federal loans. Also of course the scholarships/grants route. Yes I hate alt loans, and hate that you'll have to take them out. Anything is better! Anything!!!

Ehem...

Here's the alternative lenders they have listed:

Bank of America 1-800-344-8382
Key Bank 1-800-539-5363
Sallie Mae 1-800-272-5543
Citibank 1-800-967-2400
Nellie Mae 1-800-338-5626
TERI Loans 1-800-255-TERI

Sallie Mae and Nellie Mae are already on my personal black list. It has nothing to do with my personal extreme bias against them, really! More to do with the Mae family taking it hard up the rear lately.

Citibank and TERI are the two I've seen personally, and I prefer the TERI loan. As always, I highly suggest that you call them. There's also an alt loan that someone uncovered listed on my website that you might want to try. No I will not just tell you, dig through and find it!!! :)

BrineShrimp
Aug 18, 2005
haha, alright, well thanks for the help and advice

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Question answered.

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 22, 2018

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I have a question about dependency.

My girlfriend just finished her Bachelor's and is doing post-baccalaureate work before going to medical school. Is that regarded the same as graduate/professional in terms of qualifying for independent status? The post-bacc program we're in provides access to graduate courses at Mayo, if that makes any difference.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Reverend Cheddar, are you asking if in the event you receive this scholarship, it would be a good idea to:

1. accept a full-ride scholarship which you have applied for to a school which I assume you would like to attend in a country known for producing good education in addition to the benefit of being able to learn a second language (assuming you haven't already done so), or

2. stay here in the US where you would have to take out loans?

Are you really? I'm just trying to make sure I understand before I answer.

GeminiZer0, the federal policy as we understand it states that a student must be a graduate/professional student to file as an independent. That said, there are ways to get around that: appealing the financial aid decision (which is a possiblity, not a guarantee), or having a PLUS loan denied. Also, your girl is in the unique position of a medical student, which gives her higher aggregate limits than any other kind of student. Chances are pretty high that the financial aid office would be willing to work with her on this, and potentially give her federal loans without necessarily having to apply as an independent.

tanner4105
Jun 29, 2005

'cause i ain't no hollaback girl
I'm thinking about trying to go to Berklee College Of Music in the next year or so and I know it will be loving expensive.

I know nothing about student loans but I will be trying to get scholarships to at least help a little. My girlfriend goes to Baylor and gets a loan from Wells Fargo and she won't have to pay anything until 6 months after she gets out of school.

My question is, knowing nothing about student loans, is the Wells Fargo thing a good deal or are there better options to seek out?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I applied for a Stafford loan with Wells Fargo. I was told that I'd need a cosigner (even though I'm loving 29, since I've never had a loan before...just credit cards which have been paid off on time pretty much forever). My dad finally went and talked to them about cosigning, but it turns out he doesn't make enough for them to accept him. He's my only likely candidate for a cosigner. (My mom makes more money, but has been chronically in debt for ages due to her being out of her goddamn mind)

Am I likely to face the same situation with any lender worth dealing with?

I'm kind of concerned now.

edit: Update:

I've just gotten off the phone with Wells Fargo. Apparently, I applied for the wrong kind of loan, because the right one doesn't show up in one of the lists of loan types (even under their Stafford Loan application). They say this usually means that the school requires the master promissary note be created through their financial aid office.

If this is true...I'm getting kind of suspicious. Like, what would happen if I were to try an online application with one of Temple's preferred lenders? Would it just sail right through?

How illegal would that be?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 4, 2007

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
To both of you:

The Wells Fargo loan you applied/are considering applying for is an alternative loan.

Stafford loans do not require a co-signer. This is only true of alternative/private loans, PLUS, and Gradplus loans (with the latter two being a federal loan).

VideoTapir, at any point did Wells Fargo let you know this distinction? The answer to this question is the answer to yours, tanner4105. If they aren't informing their customers, I'd run away quickly.

In order to apply for a Stafford loan, you must fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA *is* the application for a Stafford loan. There is no other application (except for Grad students at times). Staffords for most undergraduates are not based on a student's credit or income; they are based off of the parent's income from the previous tax year. If you happen to be able to file as an independant, it could be based off of your personal income, but never your credit. NEVER.

Did you apply using the FAFSA yet, VideoTapir?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wiggy Marie posted:

To both of you:

The Wells Fargo loan you applied/are considering applying for is an alternative loan.

Stafford loans do not require a co-signer. This is only true of alternative/private loans, PLUS, and Gradplus loans (with the latter two being a federal loan).

VideoTapir, at any point did Wells Fargo let you know this distinction? The answer to this question is the answer to yours, tanner4105. If they aren't informing their customers, I'd run away quickly.

In order to apply for a Stafford loan, you must fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA *is* the application for a Stafford loan. There is no other application (except for Grad students at times). Staffords for most undergraduates are not based on a student's credit or income; they are based off of the parent's income from the previous tax year. If you happen to be able to file as an independant, it could be based off of your personal income, but never your credit. NEVER.

Did you apply using the FAFSA yet, VideoTapir?

Yes, I completed the FAFSA in February.

The problem turned out to be that the online application for the Stafford loan wasn't going through (with no indication why, but I later found out) and that it wouldn't let me progress any further without selecting a different loan.

This only happened when I put Temple as the school. I tried a different school in a different state, and it continued right on as it was supposed to.

I just now found out why. Apparently Wells Fargo only does loans in Pennsylvania through PHEAA...which is this AES you don't seem to like.

I'm worried now. What is it exactly that's wrong with AES? The reason I wanted to go with Wells Fargo is that they are known for holding on to their loans. (I do NOT want to get sold to any Sallie Maes or the like) That's the same reason my dad has his mortgage with them, in fact.

Is it a bad idea to go with AES? Are they known for selling off loans? If the loan is supposedly with Well Fargo through AES, does that mean that AES cannot sell the loan without the approval of Wells Fargo?

edit: I'm on the phone with AES now. Apparently there's already an account on their systems with my SSN on it even though I've never signed up for one. :wtc:

The stafford loan application from Temple went to AES, despite my specifying Wells Fargo (which I didn't have the code for at the time but dammit shouldn't the financial aid office be able to look that up) and Wells Fargo never got it, and never got any evidence of my eligibility. I THINK that's why they can't process my application.

Also I get the impression that AES is trying to get me to apply for a loan with them INSTEAD OF Wells Fargo. Or that Temple's Financial Aid office is trying to do so. I'm really distrustful right now.

edit2: Apparently the idea that there was already an account for me was an error on the part of the employee with whom I was speaking.

I went through most of the MPN application with AES and it DID list Wells Fargo Educational Financial Services (or whatever the exact name was) as the lender. I guess I'm just paranoid what with all the student loan shenanigans going on these days.

The AES guy I spoke to after clearing up that online account nonsense assured me that if Wells Fargo is the lender, the loan cannot be sold by anyone but Wells Fargo. I would like to confirm that with Wells Fargo before I actually borrow any money from them, but I think I may finally have this sorted out.

So, Wiggy, I guess all I need to know now is what exactly kind of headache can I expect from AES, as the servicer of this loan?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2007

teexas
Apr 13, 2007

Wiggy Marie, I was wondering if you could give me your opinion.

I take out full loans to cover cost of living and school tuition expenses. Usually one of the loans will be the Parent PLUS loan (around $6000 annually) but I recently found this one: http://www.hhloans.com/borrowers/calfactsheet.cfm

which is offering me to borrow the same amount but at a rate of 5.25% annually with a 3% origination fee.

Do you think this is better than the PLUS loan?

teexas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 6, 2007

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
VideoTapir, you have good reason to be paranoid in general. With all the crap being outed with these companies, it's better to cover your rear end now and not deal with the horrors later.

Wells Fargo, from what I understand, doesn't sell their loans. This is a really really good feature for you, the student, because you don't have to worry about capitalized interest with multiple sales.

AES is their servicing agent. Now I won't lie, I talk to AES pretty often and they just don't seem to be that nice. However, they do their jobs properly for the most part. They do have the awful feature of transferring you 80 times for one problem, or multiple reps giving multiple answers. This is why it's important that you know your stuff before you contact them. I can say that you'll learn to hate their phone system and that horrible woman's voice very quickly, and you might not always get the nicest person on the phone.

I think the supervisors have started cracking down on the attitude problems, though, because the last 3-4 times I spoke with them the rep was really nice. So yey for progress!

I don't have anything near the hatred that I have for Sallie Mae and Educational Direct (not Direct; this is a company that poses as Direct to trick people into consolidating with them, and it works, and they are truly awful and I hate them). And as far as I know, AES doesn't have the dirty dealings that so many lenders (SALLIE MAE/STUDENT LOAN XPRESS I'M LOOKING AT YOU) are being attacked for. They're kind of like our sister company in some ways, so we have a weird relationship with ol' AES.

Wells Fargo is a great lender, though. No problem with them! :)

Teexas, if there's one thing Texas can do, it's treat their college kids well - ironic, isn't it?

Obviously my first reflex when I see an alternative loan is to run, but reviewing this one, it looks like a REALLY good deal. Better interest rate (and fixed from the looks of it - I'd call and clarify that "annual" fixed rate nonsense), life of the loan servicing, 6 month grace available...sounds like a good deal to me. I'd call and clarify some points, in particular the fixed interest rate and no capitalizing interest. How can you never capitalize interest?! It's insanity!!!

marrone
Mar 13, 2006

by Ozma
As I was reading the original post, I noticed that you can't fill out a fafsa independently until 24. I'm 18 and am planning on putting myself through college. What options do I have for financing? Am I stuck with private loans, or is there some other option?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Wells Fargo, from what I understand, doesn't sell their loans. This is a really really good feature for you, the student, because you don't have to worry about capitalized interest with multiple sales.

Uh, what? Capitalized what?

Oh god, don't tell me they're turning interest to principal when they sell loans. (There's no way that can be legal, is there?)

quote:

I can say that you'll learn to hate their phone system and that horrible woman's voice very quickly, and you might not always get the nicest person on the phone.

Oh, I've already learned to hate it.

Sigh. Sounds like I'll be able to live with this. If I could handle the week-long runarounds in the military, a few hours on the phone every now and again ought to be a walk in the park.

quote:

I think the supervisors have started cracking down on the attitude problems, though, because the last 3-4 times I spoke with them the rep was really nice. So yey for progress!

Would these attitude problems include rattling off completely useless information even after I have repeatedly said "I know. I know. I know." for minutes on end? Christ, I think that CSR was worse than the damned computer.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Marrone, your first step is always the FAFSA to see what you're offered. Scholarships and grants should really come VERY first, but schools use the FAFSA to determine if a student is eligible for any of their particular scholarships/grants as well as federal loans.

The next step is to check out the PLUS loan. You can pay this back instead of your parents paying on it. If this is not an option, contact the financial aid office and see if you can appeal what you've been awarded. And then, as a last resort, move on to alternative/private loans.

VideoTapir posted:

Uh, what? Capitalized what?

Oh god, don't tell me they're turning interest to principal when they sell loans. (There's no way that can be legal, is there?)

Would these attitude problems include rattling off completely useless information even after I have repeatedly said "I know. I know. I know." for minutes on end? Christ, I think that CSR was worse than the damned computer.

Yes it happens rather often, and yes is it legal (currently). This is NOT one of the things being attacked, so chances are this is not going to change soon. This is why life of the loan servicing is such a big deal, and actually offered as an incentive for an account.

Sad, eh?

Also FYI, when a consolidation processes, interest capitalizes to your principal balance. There's a reason (some) lenders encourage you to pay the interest. We practically beg people to where I'm at; and of course, they scoff and say whatever I ain't required to! Sigh.

Ehem.

Yes, that is one of the problems I've encountered with AES. They sound a tad...condescending sometimes, to say the least. But to be fair, you would not believe the questions we get, so it's possible that the reps are just desperate to make sure you understand before moving on.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Hey Wiggly Marie

I just sent you 3 PMs because what I wrote is a little bit personal in regards to the numbers I put in to you. I'm sorry for the first two PMs, as they're discardable. If you think my question is good to have on this thread, I'd be more than happy to put it up here as well.

Thanks!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Yes it happens rather often, and yes is it legal (currently). This is NOT one of the things being attacked, so chances are this is not going to change soon. This is why life of the loan servicing is such a big deal, and actually offered as an incentive for an account.

Sad, eh?

Hurf durf, my brain must not have been working right that day. Interest that has accrued to that point but not been paid, which means people were paying less than they really ought to have been.

Still, that it gets capitalized when the loan is transferred, when it wouldn't otherwise seems kind of shady to me. (Like it would encourage loans being sold when they otherwise wouldn't be, because the sale would increase the value of the loan)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

VideoTapir posted:

Still, that it gets capitalized when the loan is transferred, when it wouldn't otherwise seems kind of shady to me. (Like it would encourage loans being sold when they otherwise wouldn't be, because the sale would increase the value of the loan)

Which is why many lenders DO sell their loans, hence the benefit of a lender which doesn't do so. Yep yep.

Interest capitalizes when your loans are sold, consolidated, or come off of a deferment/forbearance. Some companies may capitalize it more often (I believe the federal limit is quarterly), but none of the ones I've met do. That'd be one heck of a hated company.

Anyway, I'm off to vacation for the next three days, kids! If you post and I don't reply, it's because I haven't seen your question. I will try to catch up on Tuesday next week, but I'm working a TON of overtime next week, so please be patient with me.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I am mostly back kids! Hope you didn't miss me too much!

Anyway, this thread is ready for questions again. Have at it!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Let me preface this by saying that yes, I know I'm an idiot and let this wait too long. In my defense, I only found out I was admitted a couple weeks ago.

That said, what should I be doing to get a Stafford loan for this fall (graduate level)? I have a FAFSA filed out and all that (a few months ago), but beyond that I'm completely bewildered as to what I need to be doing besides considering knocking over a bank.

Should I be going directly to a lender like Suntrust or something? Do I go through the school first or need to tell/get anything from them? This thing (PDF) kind of makes me think so? The school's financial aid website is supremely unhelpful in terms of telling me what on earth I need to do to actually get financial aid/loans. Help!

Also, even the maximum amount I can get for a Stafford loan would only barely cover tuition, in fact, I think it's like $35 short. How can I go about getting money to pay for highly important things like food, transportation, and shelter the internet whilst getting screwed as minimally as possible?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 11, 2007

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
You are correct. You have to know how much you're getting before you can start with a lender. However, you CAN start shopping around for your lender, and fill out a Master Promissory Note with them to expedite the processing for yourself.

Beyond the federal loans, there's alternative/private loans, which are like the evil undead vampire of the loan industry. Avoid at all costs...but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I remember reading somewhere that there is a four-year limit for some Federal/State Student Aid loans/grants. If you know, can you tell me what ones of mine might possibly face this limit? I'm currently about to start my fourth year, but am going for a fifth as I'm double-majoring, so I'd like to know which of these might not be awarded for my fifth year.

Federal Pell Grant
Smart Grant
Pheaa Grant
Fed Suppl Educ Opport Grant
Federal Work-study
Federal Perkins Loan
Federal Sub Stafford Loan

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 12, 2007

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wiggy Marie posted:

You are correct. You have to know how much you're getting before you can start with a lender. However, you CAN start shopping around for your lender, and fill out a Master Promissory Note with them to expedite the processing for yourself.

So... where do I even start? How do I find out how much I'd be getting so I can start with a lender?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

me in reverse posted:

I remember reading somewhere that there is a four-year limit for some Federal/State Student Aid loans/grants.

Where did you read this, out of curiousity? There are limits to how much you can receive on an annual and overall basis, but it's not based off of the number of years you're studying. You should remain eligible for all of those things you've listed.

State-specific programs may have different criteria, though.

IRQ, you would find out by calling your financial aid office and asking. Hopefully they can tell you over the phone. As for what lender you should choose, this website may help with that:

http://www.simpletuition.com

I'm hoping to add this to my OP soon, as well as my personal site. This site is AWESOME for helping you with the process. The only problem is that it doesn't list ALL lenders, but ah well, it lists enough (the excluded ones include places like Edamerica, 1st Tennessee Bank, Sallie Mae isn't always there, some Texas lenders...)

Ask your office for a list of their PREFERRED lenders and start from there. Keep in mind that you are not required to select a preferred lenders, those are just the companies that your school prefers. This normally means that processing is a lot easier with those companies.

Imperialist Sugar
Jun 4, 2005
YUM.
I just got an email today saying that my Stafford loan that I had accepted for this coming year has been canceled because I didn't complete "Loan on the Web" procedure (my fault, as I had no idea I was supposed to). The last time I took out a loan was 3 years ago so the added step was new for me.

Do you think it's possible for the school to reinstate it at my request? Would it be a tough thing to ask for? Thanks.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Potentially yes. It sounds like you need to do the online Loan Entrance Counselling. The financial aid office will be the one who decides whether you'll get it again or not, though. Here's hoping it's not a problem.

You should be able to call/e-mail them and ask.

MyDogIsBeano
Jun 21, 2005

by Lowtax
Search is down, and this is an important and common subject this time of year.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Consolidation

So it doens't look like interest rates are going to move much at all come July 1st, however a lot of the consolidation offers I've been getting have been mentioning not only the standard possibility of increased rates on July 1, but also that they recent changes passed by congress could increase costs for lenders and might make them drop various incentives they offer.

What are the chances this is true and not just bullshit to get me to consolidate?

I'm looking at Educational Loan Company to do my federal consolidation, however it doesn't look like they offer any sort of graduated payment plan. I'm pretty sure making payments on my loans is going to be pretty difficult for a while, so anything I can do to decrease my earlier payments would be great.

Are there particular reccomendations for consolidators that offer graduated payments or other front-loaded benefits while still maintaining a decent deal over the life of the loan?

Also, what's the deal with forbearance? Can I just say "can't pay, not enough income" and basically get another grace period?

Finally, do any private loan companies offer graduated payment plans? It doesn't seem like private loan consolidation offers a whole lot other than simplifying payments, but maybe there's something out there.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I just got my financial aid offer for law school, and it's probably going to be more than I need, so I'm going to be adjusting some of the awards down. I can probably get away with eliminating or at least minimizing the portion that comes from unsubsidized Stafford loans, or the Grad Plus portion. In the long run, which one is better for me to keep and which one should I ditch?

CropGuru
Apr 6, 2007
No You Din't
Is it illegal to take out loans, toss them in a CD or MM account, pocket the interest, and pay back the principal on finishing a Ph.D.?

potatoe_chip
Nov 26, 2005
rawr?
This is different from the usual questions but I need to ask it.

I have a private loan from Sallie Mae (yuck), what happens if I stop paying it? Of course when they call or I call them I will say "look, sorry but I cannot afford to pay, its not that I don't want to, its that I cannot afford to right now, I will pay when I can"
Would they just put me on forbearance?
What if I flat out don't want to pay them back unless by some miracle I win the lottery in the future and have money to spare? What does this do to my credit history and anything else that might be affected?
Would they come after me hardcore?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

potatoe_chip posted:

Would they come after me hardcore?

Half their business is coming after non-payers hardcore. They do collections on behalf of the federal government for their own subsidized loans.

Coming after you hardcore is their reason to be.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

MyDogIsBeano posted:

Search is down, and this is an important and common subject this time of year.

Are you implying I should create an ad? 'Cause I could, except that I have no skill. NONE. And if I did, I'd rather advertize my own site.

You know the one, guys! The one I can check at work! This one, I can't check at work! Hint hint! :)

But seriously, if someone wants to make me an ad, I wouldn't mind using it. As long as it doesn't suck.

Kase Im Licht, you are not wrong about the rates. The variable rates are going up to a whopping 7.22% in repayment (that's currently 7.14%). The horror!

It's going up so little that the consolidation average isn't really changing, either.

Most likely, Education Loan Corporation has something similar to the graduated repayment schedule, or maybe something that's interest-only for the first two years or what have you. Call them and ask what their repayment plans available are; I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't have something comparable - but then, the interest rate reductions they offer are pretty impressive.

My favorite consolidation company, NTHEA, does indeed have a graduated repayment plan available.

And finally, yes, some private lenders do. But you'd need to call the servicing agent to ask what is available, as every alt loan is its own country.

Elotana, I'd scrap the GradPlus due to the higher interest rate and lack of grace period. If you consolidate in the future, this will help you have a lower weighted average.

CropGuru, of the amount of loan that is forwarded to you, you can do whatever you want with it, quite honestly. Some schools will place these amounts onto a specialized debit card to prevent this sort of thing, but I don't know of many which do that. However, the ENTIRE loan amount will not be sent to you. Also, you absolutely must be enrolled and attending to receive the funds. The school will keep a portion of what you borrow.

potatoe_chip, yes, they would come after you. As VideoTapir stated, they would delight in nothing more than for you to do just that, because I assure you, a delinquent borrower actually makes them more money in the long run (more interest to pay).

But they would come after you in stages: first they'd send you a letter. Then they'd start calling AND sending letters. Each letter would sound meaner and meaner until you got a final demand letter. Then they'd turn you over to a collections agency, and the collections agency would harrass you until they got the money out of you. And trust you me, they will get that money.

All the while they would be destroying your credit rating, and no, this would not be removed under any circumstances.

So yeah, have at it! Let me know how it goes! :)

potatoe_chip
Nov 26, 2005
rawr?

Wiggy Marie posted:

potatoe_chip, yes, they would come after you. As VideoTapir stated, they would delight in nothing more than for you to do just that, because I assure you, a delinquent borrower actually makes them more money in the long run (more interest to pay).

So yeah, have at it! Let me know how it goes! :)

But besides writing me angry letters and annoying me on the phone and ruining my credit, theyre not going to come beat me up or get me arrested or repo my things or take my bank accounts will they?

And they wont try and settle like credit card companies do, for much less money?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wiggy Marie posted:

IRQ, you would find out by calling your financial aid office and asking. Hopefully they can tell you over the phone. As for what lender you should choose, this website may help with that:

http://www.simpletuition.com

I guess the reason I was so confused was that they had yet to send me any information whatsoever. They finally got around to that Monday. And here I thought I was the one behind.

So now I'm in this boat:

Elotana posted:

I just got my financial aid offer for law school, and it's probably going to be more than I need, so I'm going to be adjusting some of the awards down. I can probably get away with eliminating or at least minimizing the portion that comes from unsubsidized Stafford loans, or the Grad Plus portion.

I do need at least part of the Grad Plus part, assuming that's a better option than a private loan? My credit is ok, as far as I know, but the potentially changing interest rates on private loans scares me a bit, plus you have to pay them off while you're still attending school and can't consolidate them. If all that's correct, then Grad Plus is the better way to go overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

potatoe_chip posted:

But besides writing me angry letters and annoying me on the phone and ruining my credit, theyre not going to come beat me up or get me arrested or repo my things or take my bank accounts will they?

And they wont try and settle like credit card companies do, for much less money?

Unless (or more like WHEN, given the student loan shenanigans lately) this push to have student loans become dischargable in bankruptcy goes through, they will have absolutely zero reason to do so.

They can keep coming after you for that money for 25 years, and you have no way to get out of that obligation but to die, or go to some country where they can't hurt you.

What I find hilarious about this is that if they just hadn't gotten greedy (trying to get people to default or pay late so they can jack up interest rates, bribing financial aid offices, denying people the ability to consolidate their loans, plus whatever other bullshit they're doing), they could have kept regulations away and made more money than they will now. I have no sympathy. I hope the offenders wither and die.