Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
How common is it for people to try to get out of repaying their student loans? I mean, I don't think I'll end up in that situation, because I have only a $5500 unsubsidized Stafford, but I've heard that the default rates are high and I wonder what your experience is with this.

Also, Juneau, I'm sorry that you had the experience that you did; I got a letter informing me that my grace period was about to end and that I could call some number (Sallie Mae) to ask for a deferment/forbearance request form, and then I called it, and when I went off to grad school I filled it out, and after checking my credit report yesterday on an unrelated matter I found out that the deferment was approved.

Oh yeah, I should mention that you should definitely check out http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ to check up on all of your credit-related matters (like auto loans, student loans, credit cards, and medical debts); you can get a free credit report from each of the three major consumer credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) once per year, and you can space them out however you like (e.g., all at once to compare them, or cycling through them 4 months at a time to keep closer tabs on your credit). It's also kinda nice, if you can afford the :10bux:, to buy something like your FICO score from one of the agencies (by the way, the inquiry itself is a very small negative factor toward your score), or one of those alert systems that tells you right away when something major gets added to your credit file.
Also, don't try to get your free annual credit report from any other site, like that God-awful FreeCreditReport.com site that you hear about on television advertisements; the free annual credit report thing was brought to you by a recent Federal law, and http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ is the only site that the three agencies use to offer your free annual credit report.
Finally, if you see something fishy, don't be afraid to dispute it: It's up to them to verify it, and disputing everything is actually a good tactic to use in a plan to emerge from bad credit, or so I've heard in another thread.

Okay, that's enough derailing. I've also heard a couple of people claim that they'll try to take out student loans for obviously non-educational purposes; is this common? Is it legal? Would someone who tried to do that probably get called on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Artie Ar Ar posted:

This is my third year and my first receiving a loan. Luckily, the loan is subsidized and only 5,500 for the year. I guess I am a lot more fortunate than others.

However, it looks like I will also have to take summer classes this year that will cost around $2000 in total. I have no way of affording this and would like to know how easy it is to obtain a loan for summer classes. Surely, I can not receive a subsidized loan, but are there any decent options?
As far as I remember, $5,500 is the annual limit for Stafford loans (subsidized and unsubsidized combined) for juniors and seniors; you'll probably need to use a private lender. I hope that this tides you over until Wiggy Marie responds to this thread again.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Wiggy Marie posted:

Lewisje, I love your “avatar.” It makes me chuckle with glee. And seriously, thanks for helping!!!

As for people trying to not pay, you’d be, quite frankly, amazed at the methods people use to try not to pay their loans. The sad part is that most of the people I get who’ve defaulted had every single deferment and forbearance available - if they’d called 270 or so days earlier, we could’ve helped them and prevented credit massacre.
I used to have a cool ambulance-dragging-Christmas-tree avatar, and you can still see it on my awfulyearbook profile.

Anyway, I think that a discussion of how people try to weasel out of paying their student loans would make a good GBS thread, if it hasn't been done already; I've heard about people "paying them off" with a bunch of credit cards and then filing for bankruptcy, but it's both stupid and really hard to do now, and I don't really know any other :wtc:-inducing things that people have tried to do.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Syncopator fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2006

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Wiggy Marie posted:

I've seriously considered it, Lewis, but I've hesitated due to privacy. I mean we jabber about it at work non-stop, and it's not like I'd give names, but still...
Do what Clockwork Sputnik did and post it under an alias account so that Internet detectives would have a harder time figuring out whom you're talking about; of course, there's still the issue that a thread like that could give some unscrupulous persons some bad ideas:ninja:

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Merou posted:

For some reason I've gone 3 college years never having heard about this "aggregate limit" business. I tried searching my schools website for the limit but it doesn't seem to have an exact figure, it just says that there is one. If we consider that my FAFSA is in general always having an EFC of roughly 0 (it was 0 this year) and that grants pay my tuition and books, what is my aggregate limit likely to be?
The "aggregate limit" deal has to do with borrowing, not getting grants; for example, the aggregate limit on Stafford loans for an undergraduate is $23K if dependent and $46K is independent (no more than $23K of which can be subsidized), according to the IU OSFA.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

blackjack posted:

Where can I find out how much I owe to each loan office?
You might want to start by going to http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ and looking at your credit report; it will give you a summary of your personal debt.

You should also set up your account on http://nslds.ed.gov (National Student Loan Data System), but for your private loans you will need to go to your lender's website.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

blackjack posted:

Also, my private school loans don't appear on my credit report. They were done through the institution I attended, so is this typical?
Whoa, that's strange.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

[photon posted:

]
I'll be entering law school soon, with no undergraduate debt and a fairly good credit score for a student (around 710) with no late/missed payments or any other negative marks. Will I be able to finance my law school education solely through loans, hopefully with a bit more available cash than the school's stated expense sheet? Law students are generally prohibited from obtaining part-time jobs, at least during their first year.

What's the maximum I will be able to get, and what's the most optimum type of loan for my situation?
You can borrow up to $18,500 per year in Stafford loans (no more than $8,500 subsidized), and up to $138,500 total in Stafford loans (no more than $65,500 subsidized): http://www.indiana.edu/~sfa/types/loans_stafford.html
The remainder of your "standard budget" can be borrowed through the Graduate PLUS Loan program (subject to a credit check); all of those loans are unsubsidized, and unlike Stafford loans, there is no grace period after graduating or going below half-time: http://www.indiana.edu/~sfa/types/loans_plus_grad.html
For all other expenses, you'll probably need to take out a private loan, and I don't know much about them:(

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
This thread should be goldmined when it's done.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

me in reverse posted:

I'm currently getting more in Federal aid (scholarships, grants, and loans combined) than my tuition (and 'cost of education' figure). That would completely disqualify me from any further federal loans, right? I'm interested in getting an approx $10k loan for the final three years of my schooling for living expenses, etc, but it seems that I can't get any more loan money from most places.

The only thing I've found so far is from Wells Fargo, an educational loan that doesn't seem to check my total aid amount with my university, so I'd be able to get funds.

Would you recommend something like that, or can you recommend anything else?
Quick answer: Get a job.
Long answer: Get a job, and if you're also getting work-study, get an off-campus job too. Seriously, private education loans are dangerous and should only be handled when necessary, like when you don't get enough in Federal, state, and institutional aid to cover your cost of education.

Oh yeah, in case you are asking about whether your total aid amount this year precludes you from Federal loan eligibility next year, basically there are annual limits and aggregate limits, and you probably won't be able to reach the undergrad aggregate limit for Stafford loans until your fourth year.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
How much does it cost overall?:raise:

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
^For all I know, you might be eligible for a Pell grant with your income and EFC (you could even get a SEOG), but regardless, as an independent student you are eligible for twice the amount of Stafford loan money as when you were considered a dependent.

The United States Department of Education posted:

The lower the EFC, the greater the student’s financial need. Thus, the neediest students will have an EFC of 0 and may be eligible for the maximum Pell award of $4050 if their cost of attendance is high enough and if they will be attending full time for a full academic year.
As the EFC increases, the student’s need is less and so the amountof the award decreases; after the maximum EFC of 3850, eligibility for Pell funds becomes $0.
PDF alert!
As for SEOG, the government gives block grants to schools, and they decide who gets the grants, giving priority to Pell Grant recipients; funds are very limited, however, and the figures quoted above are last year's figures and probably outdated now.

Holbien posted:

At what EFC do people stop being eligible for federal loans?

Also, why does my school not qualify me for unsubsidized loans? I get the maximum subsidized loan possible then the rest of the loans my school qualifies me for is private. I might just be mistaken and the later is federal as well but on my account history for previous semesters it lists the loan distribution to my account as "AK Sup Ed Loan"(I live in Alaska). It can't be income, my EFC last year was 0.
First, there is no EFC limit for unsubsidized Stafford loans, PLUS loans, or GradPLUS; however, federal student aid may not exceed the "total cost of attendance" minus any external grants or scholarships, and the Stafford loan cap is for subsidized and unsubsidized combined.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
The Stafford loan caps are set by Federal law.

As for GradPLUS:

The U.S. Department of Education posted:

Graduate and professional degree students are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance in both the FFEL and Direct Loan Program. The terms and conditions applicable to Parent PLUS Loans also apply to Graduate/Professional PLUS loans. These requirements include a determination that the applicant does not have an adverse credit history, repayment beginning on the date of the last disbursement of the loan, and a fixed interest rate of 8.5 percent in the FFEL program and 7.9 percent in the Direct Loan program. Applicants for these loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They also must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS loan.

If your living expenses exceed these loans (that is, exceed the "total cost of attendance"), you will need to seek out private lenders:(

Also, if you're a really good law student with an established conservative track record (like in the law reviews and other publications), there are plenty of organizations waiting to give you lots of money (fellowships), like the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation, so that you will join the forces of evil...uhh, "judicial restraint"; in general, if you're near the top of your 1L class and your views mesh well with some Washington think tank, there's probably a fellowship waiting for you (maybe even a paid internship to boot!), and it helps to also be at a second-tier school or better, but anyway that's your best hope for minimizing law-school debt:)

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Wiggy Marie posted:

Where do you get this, specifically? It states that you must have applied for your maximum annual limit before going to the PLUS/GradPlus. It doesn't say anything about limiting you to the agg limit? In fact, it states that you must have maxed these out (per the school's eligibility standards - you have to have been told by the school that you cannot receive any more funding, regardless of whether you hit the actual aggregate limit) before even applying for a PLUS/GradPlus.

We certify these loans ALL the time for students in Cathis' situation. What I don't get is why this school is stating they can't. Did you read a sentence that I missed that says these loans are limited to the Stafford aggregate limit? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's say a grad student maxes out on their Stafford funding, but school is much higher, and their cost of living jacks up their additional costs to 20000.00. Can they apply for this amount? Yes, absolutely, they do it ALL the time. That's what the GradPlus is FOR. Even beyond to total aggregate limit for one student to take out.

I'm saying this from personal experience. We can and we do certify GradPlus loans above the aggregate limit. The whole point of the loan is to eliminate the need for a private lender. The PLUS loan regulations are considered the same as the GradPlus, and therefore the Dept. of Ed. hasn't even bothered to make a separate Master Promissory Note for the two types.
I thought that schools tended to make an allowance for living expenses in determining the "total cost of attendance" for purposes of Federal financial aid, and if your actual living expenses exceeded that estimate, you would then check out private lenders for the difference.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Stryfe posted:

i have a question regarding grants/scholarships. I know normally you get them during HS/ for your freshmen year and all the following years, but will i be able to reapply for new grants/scholarships for my following years in undergrad? I'm guessing no, but in my situation i will be applying to pharmacy school after two years, will i be able to do so then?
There definitely are scholarships that you can apply for while you're still in college; for example, I had the opportunity to apply for the Goldwater scholarship my first year (but I had too many credits by then to qualify:argh:).

Also, if you end up doing research as an undergrad, you might get a grant for that.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
It's not unheard of for grad students to get food stamps:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

forrest posted:

What are the residency requirements for that?
Find out here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/