Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey, thanks for posting this thread. I'm moving to Michigan tomorrow morning to attend school for a masters degree. I have about $3500 in credit card debt, one previous graduate stafford loan (around $6000), a $7000 BoA loan coming due this month, around $5000 in tuition, plus my living expenses for this semester and part of next summer. I filled out the FAFSA and applied for a Stafford loan. I received an award letter from my school stating that I was being awarded a $4400 unsubsidized W.D. Ford Direct Loan. This isn't even close to what I'm going to need. I've tried to call school to talk to them about it, but the campus is closed until the 4th. I would like to take out maximum of $18,500 (I have received no other federal funds this school year). Am I entitled to do so? Can the school deny me the money? If I can't get the maximum, what else can I do, quickly, because a great deal is coming due very soon. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
I've got a couple of specific questions I was hoping I could get answered here. I'm not terribly good at understanding financial matters to begin with and I'm really foggy on consolodation. Here are my loans:

All of the direct loans are handled by well, Direct Loans, and the others, including a private loan not shown here, are handled by AES. I don't like AES and I want to have Direct take over the Stafford loans at the bottom so that I can make all of my payments in one place (well, excepting the private loan). Once I do that, I want to get set up with IBR. Since those Stafford loans are federal, they should qualify, even though they aren't Direct, right?

Help me, I'm lost.