Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm entering my junior year, and I'll be receiving about $10k in grants, $10.5k in Stafford loans, but I'm still about $4.4k short. What can I do to make up for the shortfall? Should I look into getting a PLUS loan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally graduated! Now the reality of repayment hits soon. :/

I've got a number of loans (sub and unsub Stafford) serviced by Sallie Mae (from 2006-2008), one unsub Stafford serviced by Direct (which I got waaaaay back in 2002). The total balance for them all comes to around 30k and their interest rates range between 4~6.8%. I also have a private loan with about $300 left on the principal (and a nasty interest rate) that I'm just gonna pay off ASAP.

So, how best should I consolidate my federal loans and how do I get the lowest interest rate possible? Should I wait until my grace period ends on my Sallie Mae loans before doing this or get the ball rolling ASAP?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
If I were to go into an officer training school for the Air Force or Navy and get commissioned as an officer, what, if anything happens to my undergraduate loans? Do you know how the GI Bill factors into it?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I logged into my bank account today and was shocked to see $1500 went poof to Fedloan Servicing.

I thought I was on an income-based repayment plan and should only be paying $50 a month. I probably missed out on re-certifying that due to my own stupidity. Considering that said $1500 pretty much is my rent for next month and I'm in very real danger of not even being able to cover that now, do I have any recourse here to get any of that $1500 back and get back on the IBR plan so that I'm not going to get utterly hosed over here?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

E-Money posted:

You can try calling and begging but I'm doubtful there's anything they can do. Sorry that's not what you want to hear right now.

I figured that much. Thanks for letting me know at least that I'm not the first person this has happened to. I'm already resigned to that money being gone gone gone and I'm putting plans into action. Thank loving god this happened at the beginning of the month. I'll make a phone call on Monday just to see, but I'm not expecting much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

paperwind posted:

I logged into my bank account today and was shocked to see $1500 went poof to Fedloan Servicing.

I thought I was on an income-based repayment plan and should only be paying $50 a month. I probably missed out on re-certifying that due to my own stupidity. Considering that said $1500 pretty much is my rent for next month and I'm in very real danger of not even being able to cover that now, do I have any recourse here to get any of that $1500 back and get back on the IBR plan so that I'm not going to get utterly hosed over here?

This is deserving of a follow-up. I made a phone call to Fedloan Servicing about this and was advised by their rep that I should call my bank and request to have the payment reversed. I called my bank and filed a payment dispute. After about a week I got a letter from my bank requesting some supporting documentation be mailed to them. I did that. After about another week and a half I got a letter today saying the matter had been resolved and that the charge was reversed. I logged into my account to confirm, and there it was, a $1500 credit. I'm extremely stoked that this ended in my favor. I think this came down to a letter I received from Fedloan stating that my first huge monthly payment would be debited on May 4, which I made sure to include in my dispute. Why the payment was processed a month earlier, I won't know for sure, but that was probably enough to get my bank to go to bat for me.

I learned a hard lesson. Get your IBR recertification done ASAP and make phone calls if necessary to make sure your loan servicer received all the required documentation.