Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Thanks for the thread.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread, I've got some student loans I've basically been ignoring for a couple of years that I'd like to stop ignoring now that I'm not insanely poor.

I have about 25k in loans w/ Navient that are currently in IBR because I was once an irresponsible and unemployed youth. I just got an email today letting me know that the payment amount would be increasing by about $30 (to about $280/mo total on the 25k) and that this will be the most I ever pay under this plan. None of the loans has more than $1.50 in unpaid interest, if that matters.

I've been tossing a couple of hundred additional dollars a month at the highest interest rate loans for the past few months, and am just wondering if I should be switching over to standard plan and continuing to do this or if it doesn't make much of a difference.

There's all sorts of scary words on the Navient website about how switching away from IBR will set my house on fire and drown my first born child and poo poo but I assume that switching out of IBR just results in me paying less money to them and so they're just trying to scare me out of making a reasonable decision (because they are evil).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Ancillary Character posted:

They put that scary language there for the people with a lot of unpaid interest that would capitalize once they get off IBR.

Which plan has the lower minimum payment? You'd want to go with the plan with the lower minimum payments (most likely IBR) if you're committed to paying extra on your highest interest rate loans. For example, if you can only pay $480 towards your student loans, a $280 minimum payment allows you to pay $200 towards the higher rate loan vs. a $330 minimum payment that would only let you pay $150 towards the higher rate loan. However, if you can still pay $200 on top of a higher minimum payment, then you'd pay off your loans quicker by virtue of the fact you're paying more money each month than before and less overall on the life of the loan. Though if you could pay that higher amount anyway, you'd probably still spend less with the lower minimum payment because fewer of your dollars are being spent less optimally on lower rate loans.

That makes sense, when I started writing the post I actually didn't know how my interest looked. My concern, which I guess I lost in the midst of posting, was that maybe some of my payments under the IBR weren't paying off interest and so, in moving away from IBR, I might have auto-shifted my minimum payments such that I was always at least paying interest on all loans, thereby enabling me to more easily keep interest down while paying off my highest rate loan with the extra cash. I guess I'm in an OK spot though, so that is good.

I'm not sure which plan would be lower, because I can't figure out how to get those kinds of numbers from the Navient website. I'll figure that out and switch based on that, while trying to keep my total payments around $600/mo which should have me on a pretty happy track for repayment.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread. I got a call from a collection company claiming they have one of my student loans a couple of weeks ago. Evidently it was given to me by the school as part of my financial aid for one semester in 2010 and was only $1,500. I had no idea about it because, like most kids, I just signed on whatever to keep going to college and assumed that I had been doing the right thing paying all the loans that MEFA had for me over the years. The school never once contacted me about it and it isn't on any of my credit reports as far as I can tell (neither in collections nor in my account history).

I'm cool with paying it, obviously, but the provider has tacked on "creditor fees" that exceed the original amount of the loan which seems insane to me.

Is there anything I should/could do about any of this? The loan was given out in MA in case state laws have anything to do with it.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 3, 2019

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Good info, thanks everyone! I checked nslds and I don't see it there either. I sent an email to the school asking them for more info about the loans at any rate.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Does anyone who understands how the world works know if PLUS loan forgiveness will be based on the parent or the student's income? Also, do we know how they are determining if you make over $125? Is it just AGI from 2021 taxes or what?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare posted:

Does anyone who understands how the world works know if PLUS loan forgiveness will be based on the parent or the student's income? Also, do we know how they are determining if you make over $125? Is it just AGI from 2021 taxes or what?

NYT updated their FAQ to specify you can qualify using either your 2020 or 2021 AGI for this, which is excellent news for people who otherwise wouldn't qualify but spent much of 2020 unemployed thanks to pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
So I've got the following stuff floating around:

code:
Servicer #1:
Stafford - Subsidized: $2,746.72 @ 5.350%
Stafford - Unsubsidized: $2,224.75 @ 6.550%
Direct Loan - Subsidized: $2,938.99 @ 6.550%
Direct Loan - Subsidized: $3,672.85 @ 5.750%
Direct Loan - Subsidized: $3,365.70 @ 4.250%
Direct Loan - Unsubsidized: $2,112.26 @ 6.550%
Direct Loan - Subsidized: $1,944.29 @ 3.150%

Servicer #2:
MEFACR: $4,302.51 @ 8.500%
I believe the loans under Servicer #1 are all fixed rate, while #2 is variable.

I just sort of want these things gone. I understand I may be better off paying my minimums and investing the money elsewhere, but my brain is fundamentally broken and I would sleep better at night knowing I don't have this stupid debt looming over my head.

If I punch all my info into the studentaid.gov repayment calculator thing it tells me I should sign up for REPAYE and pay ~$1,102/mo. Whatever plan I'm currently on has me paying ~$300/mo I think across both servicers. Am I better off staying on my current plan and overpaying toward my highest interest loans first, rather than moving to REPAYE and spreading the payments out across all of the loans?

Also, I assume there's no reason to consolidate these loans right? None of them have any uncapitalized interest on them (other than whatever from this month).

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 31, 2023