Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wiggy -

What do you do in the private loan industry? I have some questions on that actually if you don't mind. I'm happy with my current job, but I have a lot of past financial aid experience and wouldn't mind getting back in the field at some point. Most FA counselors move into the private loan industry if they want to make more money, I'd like to explore my options some before I talk myself into law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LetTheSunShineIn posted:

What do I need to do exactly in order to continue the deferral period? Would it be better to contact you through PM?

Contact your lender. Private loans aren't like fed loans in that in-school deferment is a given. You'll need to talk to them to find out what you need to do to stay in deferral status. Generally it's not much more then getting an "in school deferment" form verifying you are enrolled, but it's going to vary lender to lender.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Alternative loans or fed loans? If it's Stafford, don't worry about it, they can be deferred for grad school, even if consolidated.

Alt loans? up to the lender, but they're usually pretty understanding (its in their best...interest for repayment to take a long time. Did you catch the pun?)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

paperwind posted:

I'm entering my junior year, and I'll be receiving about $10k in grants, $10.5k in Stafford loans, but I'm still about $4.4k short. What can I do to make up for the shortfall? Should I look into getting a PLUS loan?

Check for state loans first before you deal with PLUS. Also, you might be able to get a Perkins loan if your EFC is fairly low, check with your financial aid office

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggy Marie posted:

Most schools will list their alternative loan preferences online, so hopefully you won't need to travel. What's the school's name?

Schools can't recommend lenders, alt loan or otherwise. Lots of hoohah about that in the news lately.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggy Marie posted:

Actually they can, they just have to justify it now. Which is perfectly understandable. Preferred lender lists are still very much so in existence, they're just supposed to be based more off of benefits to the student rather than the incentives the school itself gets. Which is nothing but a good thing.

There's a rather big difference between preferred lender lists and recommending lenders.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
If you re-read what I said, "There's a rather big difference between preferred lender lists and recommending lenders."

Nowhere did I say preferred lender lists were no longer allowed.

In the original reply I took issue with, you made it sound like schools would recommend lenders. Since I got *really* sick of those accusations floating around from members of the media/upset students, I just decided to clarify.

It's still a really sensitive area, even though I thankfully no longer work for the finaid office

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well fortunately I don't work for UT, though I did about a year ago.

Since switched to St.Ed's Financial Aid. Then I moved to admissions about a month ago, much less stress :)

That said, I knew a lot of the people over there, especially the director, so couple that with every other parent I talked to acting like I was some sort of crook everytime I mentioned "loans" and I get overly sensitive about it.

But I've only worked financial aid at a few schools, so if it's really that widespread I'm sure it's best that ED is coming down on everyone.

**Edit - that said, your job aside, which do you think is better, DIRECT of FFELP?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggy Marie posted:

Public service workers, such as firefighters, will receive loan forgiveness after 10 years of service and loan payments. People will be able to take advantage of this beginning Oct.1.

Have you read the legislation on this? It's such bullshit. It's supposed to be a milksop thrown to calls for a LRAP for public interest lawyers, but the legislation calls for *10* years repayment ONLY under the DIRECT consolidation program. That means if you've been repaying for 10 years FFELP, too bad, so sad, you would have to re-consolidate under DIRECT (how I'm not sure, take out new loans?) and make payments for 10 years.

How this is supposed to encourage people to go into public service work, I'm not sure. Yeah the loan forgiveness will be nice, but how will they afford to eat repaying for those 10 years on public employee wages?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 22, 2007

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

cLin posted:

I signed up to that national database that shows all my loans and I noticed a Federal Perkins loan for 1,700$ that doesn't seem to be paid off (still has 1,700 outstanding principal). The thing is, I logged into my school's billing account and its paid off there since I remember my dad gave me some money for it since it was unsubsidized and I didn't know back then that I had to start paying it off then or interest would accrue.

My question is, why is the loan on there, shouldn't I have paid it off? My bill for that summer was zero

Perkins is very subsidized man, it's pretty much the cadillac of subsidized loans. Maybe you didn't pay off what you think you paid off? NSLDS is usually the authority on this matter.

You should contact your school's Perkins office. They should be able to let you know if you're square or not. Could be they never reported your debt as paid w/NSLDS

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fatty Patty posted:

Well, public university, so about $4000 a year for classes and meals. I plan on living off campus and working part time. My EFC is a little under $1000, I don't have a job or any money at the moment. Of course I could get $1000 over summer, but what about other things I'll need to buy? I'd like to live a moderately lush college life. :(

Your cost for tuition room and board is $4000 a year? Where do you go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
If you're old like me and your consolidation loan is privately held FFELP, you are eligible for reconsolidation into the Direct loan program to get those goodies.