Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm currently getting more in Federal aid (scholarships, grants, and loans combined) than my tuition (and 'cost of education' figure). That would completely disqualify me from any further federal loans, right? I'm interested in getting an approx $10k loan for the final three years of my schooling for living expenses, etc, but it seems that I can't get any more loan money from most places.

The only thing I've found so far is from Wells Fargo, an educational loan that doesn't seem to check my total aid amount with my university, so I'd be able to get funds.

Would you recommend something like that, or can you recommend anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I remember reading somewhere that there is a four-year limit for some Federal/State Student Aid loans/grants. If you know, can you tell me what ones of mine might possibly face this limit? I'm currently about to start my fourth year, but am going for a fifth as I'm double-majoring, so I'd like to know which of these might not be awarded for my fifth year.

Federal Pell Grant
Smart Grant
Pheaa Grant
Fed Suppl Educ Opport Grant
Federal Work-study
Federal Perkins Loan
Federal Sub Stafford Loan

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 12, 2007

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My girlfriend is exiting medical school and we are trying to figure out her loan situation.

She applied for the Special Direct Consolidation, and the webapp outlined four of her loans which were deemed eligible for Special Consolidation.

She also has loans which are (assumably) eligible for traditional Direct Consolidation, but the Special DC application said that you should not begin a Direct Consolidation app before the Special DC app.

Is the Special DC also going to consolidate traditionally, or do we need to also apply for traditional Direct Consolidation?

Edit:
http://www.tgslc.org/pdf/specialconsolqanda01062012.pdf

this doc posted:

Traditional Consolidation
Q#18: Once the borrower consolidates his or her commercially-held FFEL loan(s) under the Special
Direct Consolidation Loan Program, will the loan(s) then be eligible for consolidation into a
"traditional” Direct Consolidation Loan for a longer term?
A#18: Yes.

So I need to wait for the Special DC to complete, then do traditional consolidation and roll them all into one, it seems.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 9, 2012