Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headlight fluid
Apr 2, 2007
It is necessary to learn how to learn to know knowledge.
In the fall of 2004, I entered college as a freshman after having been out of high school for over a year. Since I had been living with my brother and not my mom, and due to her credit being lovely, I had to apply for a dependency override to become an independent student. I was able to get the maximum amount for a Pell Grant, and enough money through both Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans to pay for the entire year, all of which I was told I could easily renew for the following 3 years.

I ended up not finishing the first semester, and thinking that I was going to get my financial aid revoked, I willfully left the school (dumb move on my part, turns out all they were going to do was put me on academic probation, but that's an e/n thread on its own). I pretty much entered a downward spiral for the next 2 years. I only now, a few weeks ago, was able to pay off the smaller of the two loans ($700 or so, the school was pretty cheap), but I still owe about $3500 or so from the bigger loan. As you can imagine, both these loans were in default.

My question is this: Now that I'm back on track, I fully intend to have this loan paid off by possibly the end of this year. I'd like to try going back to school fall of '09, after saving a bit of money up. What are the chances that I'll be able to ever get any kind of financial aid around this time? The school I'm looking to attend costs around $12,400 a year, and it would be a 4 year program, so I'm looking to borrow about $40k over 4 years. Any chance this will be possible?

Edit: Also, I had a few other things on my credit report that I'm working on getting taken care of. By the time I'm ready to reapply for loans (if possible), I'll also have a car that has had every payment paid on time, and will becompletely paid off, that will give me some equity.

headlight fluid fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU