Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
(TE)PSLF Help:

I graduated in 09, I have been working at a qualifying institution since I graduated, and I'm pretty sure I've made 120 monthly payments on my consolidated loans. I have been on a graduated repayment plan as I didn't know about the public service loan forgiveness till about three or four years ago. Currently on COVID forbearance.

My employer submitted employment verification per my PSLF application. I guess part of the process is FedLoan takes over the loans? They're servicing the loans now. It's taken a little while but I believe they're the servicer now.

I don't think I've received a denial letter. I'm also uncertain as to the total number of payments, as when I asked my previous servicer (Mohela), their records only went back to 2015. I thought I had a servicer prior to Mohela but when contacting Aspire (servicer before Mohela) they said they no longer had records of it.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how many payments I've made and nobody seems to have the complete picture. I've been paying since I consolidated (and in recent years paying extra monthly), so surely I've gotta be close to 120 by now as the Student Aid website says the loan date on the consolidation loans is 4/16/10.

My biggest question right now is: if FedLoan is who approves/denies based on number of qualifying payments, shouldn't they know how many payments I've made, and how many are/are not qualifying?

Side question:
I know it seems silly, but are there lawyers that could help do this? A few $K to a lawyer would still net save me a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
They're the right kind of loans, yeah:
DIRECT SUB CONSOLIDATION LOAN
DIRECT UNSUB CONSOLIDATION LOAN

I was paying extra because I had a little extra monthly. I'm worried the extra wasn't going to the balance but to push the due date out further. It does show I was paying the principle and interest. My payment amounts were $330/mo. After my previous post I called FedLoan, my new servicer, and they talked me into an IDR. REPAYE seems to be what's been selected, and REPAYE is just under $300mo.

It's too late for me to keep payment confirmations since I'm already 10 years in but I'd definitely second that advice. But yeah, that's my number one concern since Mohela only sent me payment information from when they took over my loans, not the previous servicer. Shouldn't they be able to see I didn't have any late payments on the loans, and that they were disbursed 10yrs+ ago? This is kind of why I want to get a lawyer to help do things by the book and I'd be saving money in the end if they helped me get my forgiveness.

Last week I applied for PSLF. I know it's going to get denied because I know I wasn't on the right repayment plan. I just hope they'll tell me how many payments I've made. Calling so many people trying to tell them I know they're not qualified, I just want the raw number has gotten so tiring.

So I've heard the COVID forbearance counts as "qualified payments" and I've seen one of the ideas floated to help folks is to extend the COVID forbearance... Man I hope that happens.

Honestly, if only 1% of applicants have been approved, that gives me a lot of hope that there will still be funds available to pay for mine. Here's hoping Mohela had Aspire's payment info in a separate container, otherwise I feel like I'm gonna be boned.

edit: Holy crap, I just re-read the PSLF confirmation email saying they're gonna take 30-90 Days.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 7, 2020

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I got denied PSLF as expected... I had zero qualifying payments since I was on the wrong plan type. But they didn't say how many payments I've made, only how many qualifying payments I've made (zero). How am I supposed to know that they know I've made 120 *payments* that count towards the TEPSLF?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Update:
I called and spoke to someone who I believe completely understood what I was asking when I wanted to know how many payments (not just qualifying payments) I had made. They said they saw 116 unqualified payments and 4 qualifying payments. The 4 being while on this current COVID forbearance. So I totaled 120. He said I should apply for TEPSLF and his tone was that of "yeah dude this is a no-brainer, you're in, just do the work"

My next worry was that although I was overpaying my minimum due, doing so pushed my due date out farther. Pushing the due date out farther made me think the account would only make the minimum payment out and then hold the remaining money for a future due date. A good example of this was I had a financial situation a few years back and I stopped paying the school loans for a few months because I had almost a year of buffer space at that time. But when I look at the payment history I got from my servicer and I add the subsidized and unsubsidized payment amounts in the past year it totals more than the current REPAYE amount that I'll be expected to pay after the COVID forbearance finishes.

TL;DR: I'm super confident I qualify for the TEPSLF and I fired off an email to kick that process off.

Edit: just looking around the fedloan website I see they have a PSLF tracker area and it shows how many unqualified payments I've made. It only shows the payments from my last servicer, not my first servicer. So now I'm worried the people who will review my TEPSLF request won't look wherever the person I last spoke to was looking and they'll only see the 89 payments I made to the last servicer and none of the payments I made to the first one. Ugh, what a roller coaster. It's out of my hands for now, I just need to wait for their decision.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 29, 2020

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I should be qualifying for TEPSLF, I was on a tiered repayment plan, I have the right kind of loans, I should have the minimum number of payments...

But I guess paying more than the minimum messed things up so it was like my payments going in the top of a bucket and the servicer taking money from the bottom. So in the servicer's records, I was pre-paying 99% of my payments. And since my loans transferred servicers a few times, the payment records somehow got lost along the way. And since the original servicer no longer services these kinds of loans, they no longer have my records.

So online, Chase only has statements that go back like 7 years. I need records from 2009 through present. So I go to a branch and there's like one banker working, and they're four people deep so they come out and ask what everyone needs, I tell em my deal, they say they don't have records beyond 7 years and shoo me away. I call the customer service number and they say the bankers should have access to "statements as far back as from when the account was created" so I got to a different branch today and explain my thing to them and they give me the same answer.. only 7 years. This can't be real. You're telling me if the government asked Chase to provide bank statements more than 7 years old Chase would tell em, "sorry, we purge all records after 7 years!" I don't think so.

TL;DR:
Not sure if this warrants its own thread but I need someone to tell me how to get Chase to dig up my old statements to show I made student loan payments on time.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I've been told:
Banker: I can only see what's on the website (~7years)
Toll-free Customer service number: I can only do two years but a banker should be able to do anything since the account was opened
Banker at a different branch: I can only see 7 years, after that Chase purges records, but submitted a form to request data (didn't say what form) Said give it two business days to hear back (I'll call on Tuesday if I don't hear anything from them)
Twitter ChaseSupport account, direct quote: "Please know that we only have statements available in the last 7 years"

Aexo
May 16, 2007
So currently 69 of my payments are flagged as qualifying.

Of the 55 flagged as ineligible I could only get 41 bank statements proving I paid for those months, since Chase doesn't keep records more than 7 years old.

That should put me at 110.

6 are flagged as needing employment certification, and if the extension to October is true then I'll get the 4 remaining that I need for 120. Then hopefully all I need to do is recertify my employment.

PSLF tech said it could take up to 6mo to review my bank statements so I guess the best I could hope for is they'll get around to it after I recertify.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I have not yet. That site seems pretty keen on making sure to say all attempts to resolve disputes should be made first. I'll keep that in my pocket if the bank statements aren't enough. I think at this point it's just getting someone to actually look at my stuff. Thanks :)

Aexo
May 16, 2007
They denied my PSLF pretty fast back in March of last year, but I was not on a qualifying repayment plan so I knew I was gonna get denied, but you gotta get denied for TEPSLF which is where I've always intended on heading.

Last I spoke to someone about it, they said it would take 6mo. I can't remember when that was, but I'm supposedly still in the system for a TESPLF review. After get my ECF submitted this year I'm 100% sure I'm past the 120 payments.

2nd'ing the PSLF reddit for info and a pulse on timelines. I think I have a few posts in this thread about my headaches around it so I'll post a success should it ever happen.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I was denied TEPSLF, it doesn't feel like they looked at my bank statements so I guess I'll have to call to explain to someone and hope they understand the situation.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Grats!

I'm still waiting for someone to review my bank statements to show I made on time payments

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Ever since I started trying to get TEPSLF about a year ago I've been told it'll be "at least six months" for stuff to get processed/reviewed. PSLF got denied pretty fast, but I was on the wrong payment plan for it, so I feel like it was a quick fail-out. TEPSLF was denied in like 3months because of a problem with paying extra. I've been waiting since April for someone to review my bank statements to coorelate them to the "paying within 15 days of your due date" requirement.

I did an e-signature thing last year no problem. I'm waiting for my HR to give me their copy to try again this year... I hope that's not going to be trouble now.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Got denied pretty fast, seems like it turned around in 10 days.

Still seems like nobody's reviewed my bank statements. Thanks to the latest application it now says I need 39 more eligible payments. I've uploaded 41 months of statements showing I made the payment within 15 days of the due date. I'm so close -_-

On the phone right now to make sure yet again that someone's going to look at these files I uploaded.

e: Now they're saying when I swapped servicers I didn't make a full payment so I was technically behind, and that I should ask for forbearance on two specific months (one in 2015, the other 2017) to catch me up/make me ahead, and that more eligible payments should start being counted once approved. Seems like they can't just look at my bank statements and see, "Yeah they made a full payment that month, check"

Aexo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 5, 2021

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I was also on the graduated payment plan for my consolidated loans for the longest time, all while working at a qualifying institution.

When the covid forbearance hit I applied for an income based repayment plan and it wound up being around what I was already paying. This transferred the loans to FedLoan, making them my third servicer. Those covid months have counted toward my number of valid payments.

My understanding is FedLoan is where you need to be to receive the PSLF/TEPSLF and submitting the certification form should kick off a transfer from your current servicer to them. Last week I spoke to someone about my ongoing woes and asked about the impending changing of hands because I feel like that could adversely affect my review and that's an unknown.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
After emailing Betsy at freestudentloanadvice about my woes getting my valid number of payments corrected, she emailed her "contact at the feds" as she put it. Within two days I had an updated count and the website invited me to apply for forgiveness. So I did.

I was denied in a few short days because "the employment start date was illegible"

When I called them they said any variation in the date can make them deny it. An initial next to the date should appease the application reviewers.

The thing that gets me is, it's not like my employment start date has changed across my many applications. Shouldn't that stuff be on record? Ugh, just more hoops to jump through. I'm really worried it's going to get *just* to the point it would be forgiven but then the servicer will change yet again and I'll have to do all this all over again. This is my only remaining debt, I just want it gone!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Not trying to get political but ever since Devos and Trump left I've had a lot faster turn-around times on applications and shorter waits on hold to speak to a human, the application was denied in like two days. If they can deny in two days that means someone's looking at it at least fairly quickly. Used to be months between communications now it's like the same/next week.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
That's amazing news. I hope it becomes easier for folks to get forgiveness, and for more folks to get it!

My father is an avid 60 Minutes viewer. I guess they recently did a piece on PSLF too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/student-loan-debt-forgiveness-public-service-60-minutes-2021-10-03/

Eagerly/patiently waiting on my re-application to get approved.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

Sirotan posted:

oh poo poo oh gently caress

:woop:

Heck yeah! Congrats!

There has been some updates to that OP that's worth a re-read for those that might be wanting clarification or more details.

Man, I'm still really happy this is happening. It's long overdue. Reading about what works and doesn't under the new/upcoming plan is making my eyes cross so I think I might stop reading about it till mine are forgiven since that should be imminent.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Are you certain TEPSLF expires in October 2022? I know this new initiative to re-review everyone that's been denied before does but haven't heard anything about TEPSLF expiring on a certain date. I thought TEPSLF will run till it no longer has money.

I don't think any payment plan change will help you get your valid payment count faster. I paid more than the minimum on my graduated repayment plan and that really screwed up my payment counts for the longest time. Now I'm sitting at like 129 valid TEPSLF payments waiting for final approval.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I basically check every day if I have a zero balance and/or a letter saying the TEPSLF had been approved for me. I checked last night at like 2am and found a zero balance but no letter in the communications section. I check again this morning thinking it was probably just under maintenance last night at 2am but find it's the same.

This really gets me hopeful. But I'm not calling this through till I have a letter saying it's all gone.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
When I started submitting employment verification forms myfedloan(dot)org took over servicing my loans and updated my valid number of payments count (months of calls to get an accurate count, in my case).

I've finally had an accurate count since like September I think it was like 128 payments at that point. I've just been waiting for a final check and approval for forgiveness. Still a zero balance but still no letter saying my remaining balance was forgiven as of right now.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Finally got an official communication. $42k forgiven. One more month of credit card payments and I'll be completely debt free.

Maybe if I made a private sector IT salary or married I would have pursued buying a home sooner but here I am almost 40 and only just about to start house hunting for my first home. I've been unmarried since I was 27 though, so I would have been / am looking to buy solo.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 22, 2021

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Holy crap that's a lot forgiven! Congrats!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Navient agrees to forgive $1.7B in student loans for about 66,000 students loan borrowers.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics/navient-student-loan-settlement/index.html

:toot:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I think I fell under the Biden expanded thing, but I should have qualified under the TEPSLF if they didn't screw up my counts for paying extra every month.

It's definitely great to see folks finally getting approval. It's life changing for me, I can only imagine it will be for many people too.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

bowmore posted:

How would you know if you are one of those students?

I believe your state would have had to sue them, if I read that correctly. My memory is crap but I thought it said 38 states took suit.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
You can wait.. I did, and I eventually got forgiven. But I also wouldn't recommend it.

My loans transferred a few times and payment data got lost along the way. I could have prevented that but also seen that paying more than the minimum was loving up my "on time" payment status for PSLF. I think I was 6yrs in to a public service job when I finally heard about PSLF and on the wrong payment plan so I figured it wouldn't ever matter at that point. Then TEPSLF came along for folks like me and I was scrambling to get accurate counts of payments then accurate status of on time payments.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
No idea how factual this is
https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1562499371152785409

Aexo
May 16, 2007
More info. I was surprised to see PLUS loans were covered.
https://twitter.com/Tech4Abolition/status/1562481256528769025

Aexo
May 16, 2007
If you were on a qualifying plan and had a qualifying employment status during the COVID forbearance, each month counted as a qualifying payment.

At least they *did* count when I got forgiven at the end of 2021...

I wasn't on a qualifying plan because I was dumb when I consolidated, but I fell under the temporary expansion to PSLF (along with other headaches, but I finally got them forgiven)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Hell yeah, congrats!