Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am looking into trying to help the significant other refinance her private student loans.

IIRC, she has about $50k left, and it takes up a significant amount of her money per month. She only makes about $22 an hour and usually does not work full time, and such doesn't have benefits, we'll say take home is somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 a month. (I could be calculating wrong, it might be closer to $2000, but not much more than that)

Somehow, we need to get her to pay less in student loans. Thankfully the forebearance has helped us both for federal, but not for private. She already got a $2 raise a few days ago but it's not enough, she really needs her own health insurance and whatnot.

Basically, my question is what can she do to reduce her private student loan payments? They really shouldn't be higher than 30% of her income, is it because she has a cosigner with her mom, who makes close to both of our incomes, combined? (she can't pay off the loan, either, though, she's a cosigner in name only, I think)

It would be great if we could get her payments into the like, $250 a month range, but just fiddling around with a calculator it doesn't seem like it's doable. $500 a month is just stupid to me. Do private loans nowhere offer income based repayment? Realistically speaking unless something drastic changes I don't think she's ever paying off the loan and it'll just be a persistent thing, or she'll be like so many others who will probably be in their 80s before they can finish paying it off.

https://www.studentloanplanner.com/student-loan-refinance-calculator/

If we could refinance it to a 5% 20 year loan, that would be much better for her

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Tbh doing it in spring last year would have been the best option. We managed to get my wife a 3.5 interest rate on a 15 year (I wanted to lower the interest and we already pay double. Doing this gave us breathing room if something comes up but also meant that if I keep paying extra I lowered the total interest paid by 3xs). You won't find any private loan that does interest based repayment, they aren't the feds and absolutely know they have you by the balls and can squeeze endlessly. And if you delay or miss a payment they just instantly capitalize the interest and you end up paying even more per month. It's absolutely a massive stress and fracture point on anyone that ends up stuck with them. My wife had 3 from Wells Fargo that went from 9 to 13% interest and the only way I managed to start paying them off after 6 years was by refinancing to a much better rate. The high interests that she was saddled with made it so the one year defferrement we had wiped everything we put in the prior 5. poo poo fuckers

Right now I think your honestly screwed trying to lower it to 5%. A coworker was trying to refinance and she barely was able to get below 8% and that's with a steady job and good record. Private loans are basically just a weight on you. There's a website I used to aggregate interest rates on refinancing, I'll look and see what it was. I used that to find out which place would give us the best options.

I will say sofi is useless and don't use them if it's an option. We ended up using a credit union that does private refinance that gave us good discounts on everything.

I actually was looking at sofi, so that's good to know. I think she may have said she's already at 7%? or something. Maybe instead she just needs to get a different job, but she likes her current one, regardless.