Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
How badly might I have messed up if I accidently stated my personal income level as almost 100000 dollars when I meant to put 9481 on my FASFA? Im correcting it but I kinda just caught it after almost a month. I'm a retard and never noticed I added another 4 into my income level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

I require some assistance. I applied for financial aid last semester and it was granted. I have some unsubsidized federal loans and my parents signed for a PLUS loan. I just received some paperwork stating that the PLUS loan needs to start being paid back; however, I thought that PLUS loans are to be deferred as long as I'm a full time student.

Am I missing something here?

Parents had the same problem. From what they found out you need to call the lender and have it set to deferment.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
How would going from full-time to part time status affect financial aid? Besides making my loans come due in 6 months once classes start again.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ok then can you tell me the distinction? I've searched for it but I think i'm just retarded at this point. My main problem is that I can take 8 credits but I have an internship that runs from May to November that is 30 hours over the weekdays. I can't do that on top of 3 classes each day on top of my current job which is 30 hours a week and liable to be full time employment over the summer. If anything I'm gonna try to force my internship to count in the fall but thats all chance at this point. Or take 12 credits which is full time status and withdraw at the earliest possible point after the add drop period closes.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Making the interest capitalize like they do is the worst thing for students. You can have a whole loans repayment history basically wiped from interest adding to the principal which happened to my wife.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Great lakes has been good to me since I got my loans in 09, but never had to use them for any emergancie stuff so grain of salt and all. Don't touch navient or wellsfargo for anything loan related EVER

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
We used citizens and it was pretty decent and simple. Refinanced horrid Wells Fargo loans and got a 6.5 interest rate (from a 9.6 and an 11.4!!!!) Which puts it under the Federal loans. Sofi is more stringent on requirements to be approved I've seen is all. They wouldn't accept us even with a solid work history, pay and entry into the medical field this year for my wife.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
naw its fraud, and the DOL would love to look into it, and if he had a second job I think it wont count then under forgiveness

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh doing it in spring last year would have been the best option. We managed to get my wife a 3.5 interest rate on a 15 year (I wanted to lower the interest and we already pay double. Doing this gave us breathing room if something comes up but also meant that if I keep paying extra I lowered the total interest paid by 3xs). You won't find any private loan that does interest based repayment, they aren't the feds and absolutely know they have you by the balls and can squeeze endlessly. And if you delay or miss a payment they just instantly capitalize the interest and you end up paying even more per month. It's absolutely a massive stress and fracture point on anyone that ends up stuck with them. My wife had 3 from Wells Fargo that went from 9 to 13% interest and the only way I managed to start paying them off after 6 years was by refinancing to a much better rate. The high interests that she was saddled with made it so the one year defferrement we had wiped everything we put in the prior 5. poo poo fuckers

Right now I think your honestly screwed trying to lower it to 5%. A coworker was trying to refinance and she barely was able to get below 8% and that's with a steady job and good record. Private loans are basically just a weight on you. There's a website I used to aggregate interest rates on refinancing, I'll look and see what it was. I used that to find out which place would give us the best options.

I will say sofi is useless and don't use them if it's an option. We ended up using a credit union that does private refinance that gave us good discounts on everything.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 13, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Everytime we looked at sofi they always were higher interest rates then others. But they could be more aggressive and better now? Lately for sure they have been slamming us about refinancing with them.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I used a website that just let me choose based on the current rates that were reported by the agencies, then went to each one with favorable terms to see what the rates were. Ended up with a credit union that gave me a 3.45 interest rate two years ago. Sofi seems way more iffy anymore, and was a big pusher trying to restart student loans because they wanted to force people to refinance. We did have citizens for awhile when we first refinanced, then moved to first tech with the better rate 3 years later.

A big thing is based on how high interest rates are, and your loan amount. More then a few coworkers are fu ked with 9 or 12 interest rates because they know they have to pay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Goal this year is to pay off at least 10k of my wife's 30k loan, mine are almost done and will be paid off in April. Hope is by the end of next year the loans are paid off and all we have left is 10k @3.25 interest that I had refinanced right before rates went insane.