Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm going into my 6th (and final) year of my PhD next year. My program only offers support for 5 years, so I'll be without a stipend or tuition waiver. I'm a US citizen, so I can just register for 3 credit hours in the summer/fall and 1 credit hour in the spring to minimize my costs.

What are my options for basically paying for living expenses next year? (Tuition/fees will run about $4k in summer/fall and $2k in the spring) I have $25k in subsidized direct and non-direct Stafford loans that will presumably go into repayment once I'm no longer a full time student, but I might be able to ask for deferrment (the servicer is Great Lakes?). I'm already taking on a short summer session course for $5,000 (typically taught by an adjunct), but given that PhD students are required to teach, there won't be any demand for me to teach in the fall/spring with the younger PhD students' obligations. I just filled out my FAFSA and I'll be applying for "financial aid" from my school once it's processed, but it will probably be in the form of unsubsidized federal loans. I have about $10k in savings, but some of that is earmarked for interview expenses and I'd generally like to avoid using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have $12,750 in direct Stafford subsidized and $12,039 in Stafford subsidized loans originated between July 2007 and June 2010 during grad school. I'm now in repayment because I'm taking less than half-time load, but I'm actually still finishing my PhD - I'm not longer getting a stipend so there's no point to taking more credits than necessary to maintain student status. My loans are serviced in part by Sallie Mae (2 loans) and in part by Great Lakes (2 loans).

My questions are:

1) Can I get some kind of deferment because I currently don't have income/am a student, even if not full-time?
2) The interest rates for all 4 loans is 6.8%. Surely there's something I can do about this.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 6, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ancillary Character posted:

You'd have to find a private lender who could consolidate your loans at a lower rate, but then you run into all of the problems of private loans.
What kinds of problems? :ohdear:

Wiggy Marie posted:

As Ancillary Character said, the 6.8% is fixed. You can try to consolidate with a private lender, but due to the repayment schedule differences I would highly, highly recommend against it.

As for your schooling - are you certain you don't count as at least half-time while working on your PhD? I've seen programs go either way, so it's something to double check. If you don't, there's an in-school forbearance you can use instead, so long as you're considered enrolled at the university and can get documentation saying that.
Discover is currently offering private student loans as low as prime + 0% (currently 3.25%) or 5.49%. Is it possible to take out a new loan with them at the lower rate to pay off the old loans?

edit: On second thought, there's not much interest reduction on a $25,000 principal.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 14, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I have $12,750 in direct Stafford subsidized and $12,039 in Stafford subsidized loans originated between July 2007 and June 2010 during grad school. I'm now in repayment because I'm taking less than half-time load, but I'm actually still finishing my PhD - I'm not longer getting a stipend so there's no point to taking more credits than necessary to maintain student status. My loans are serviced in part by Sallie Mae (2 loans) and in part by Great Lakes (2 loans).

My questions are:

1) Can I get some kind of deferment because I currently don't have income/am a student, even if not full-time?
2) The interest rates for all 4 loans is 6.8%. Surely there's something I can do about this.
Update: I called Sallie Mae and they had no problem giving me a 12 month forebearance on my loan in repayment, presumably because interest is still being capitalized. Does it make sense to make interest payments during this period?

My other loan is currently in a grace period and goes into repayment in February, so they said to call back when that happens to put that one in forebearance as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have 2 subsidized Stafford loans serviced by Great Lakes and owned by DOE. I also have 2 subsidized Stafford loans serviced by Navient that somehow became owned by Navient so they weren't eligible for coronavirus deferral. It seems like I don't get any benefit even though they're still federal loans.

Were those Navient loans formerly owned by DOE? If they were sold to Navient without my consent, does that mean my Great Lakes loans can also be sold and become ineligible for future relief?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Okay, so Trump's EO pausing student loans... I can only imagine how this is going to gently caress with PSLF eligibility and calculations.
The PSLF requires 10 years of non-consecutive payments right? Didn't the current deferral count as payments as well?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wiggy Marie posted:

It might be that the Navient loans are FFELP loans instead of Direct, since it looks like CARES only impacts the federal loans owned by the DOE (which would be Direct loans). When are they from? Also, can anyone confirm this?
The Great Lakes loans are FFEL and Direct while the Navient ones are FFELP. Sounds like the Great Lakes FFEL loans shouldn't have been eligible for deferral but they did it anyway?

Great Lakes will also no longer be able to service student loans starting in November so that worries me. Thanks Betsy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is interesting:
https://twitter.com/WinterForMT/status/1325171295017861124

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My federal loans serviced through Great Lakes are eligible.

My federal loans somehow owned and serviced through Navient are not. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wiggy Marie posted:

That's awesome!

That sucks. Are they FFELP? Maybe that's the difference (Direct versus FFELP).
Indeed they are. When I got them, they were just Subsidized Stafford Loans to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From the WaPo article about this: “Although tens of thousands of people have applied for forgiveness to date, just over 16,000 have been successful.”

What a joke.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aexo posted:

Navient agrees to forgive $1.7B in student loans for about 66,000 students loan borrowers.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics/navient-student-loan-settlement/index.html

:toot:
I had federal loans with Navient for a long time (which they then bought) but I paid them off in late 2020, leaving a balance with Great Lakes because they’re a much better servicer, in part because they didn’t screw me in ways that it seemed Navient clearly did. Hopefully I get some restitution.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 5, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A question about PSLF. I’ve been working for the federal government for the past 4 years but never bothered to apply for the program because I didn’t think I would be in public service for 10 years. My question is, do I need to apply to the program now or can I wait until I’m approaching 120 payments? In either case, would my 4 years of payments count? My 2 remaining loans are Stafford loans owned by the Department of Education.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 22, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Annath posted:

How do I go about figuring out who actually services my loans now?

My loans were paused during Covid, like many other people's were.

I work for the Department of Health, so I was incredibly busy during Covid, often working 12 hour days 6 days per week, so I honestly wasn't paying much attention to the loan stuff. I do remember that it was originally serviced by Great Lakes Borrower Services, but I seem to recall getting a notice of it being changed to someone else?

I've gotten no letters or emails from a servicer asking where my payment is, and they haven't billed the card I had on file last time I made a payment.

I'm not sure how to proceed... any advice would be appreciated.
I had Great Lakes and my account was transferred to Nelnet. You definitely would’ve gotten emails but maybe they went to spam or got lost in the shuffle.

It’s possible your previous credit card has expired. My payments are drawn from my checking account, presumably because charging a card would’ve incurred a fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sometimes I feel bad I didn’t sign up for the PSLF bonus stuff during Covid, but my loans will be paid off (mostly by work) this calendar year and I’ll only hit 6 years in government. Unless they were going to count my 5 years as a PhD student when I was technically an employee of a public university (though probably not considered full time) plus a bunch of years working on-campus jobs during my undergrad and masters, also at a public university.