Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

A bunch of stuff about refinancing to be private

Any updates on this, are you still feeling like it’s the right decision? I’m in exactly the same bit and it’s looking like the student loan forebearance is not going to get extended so I’m thinking about refinancing at the low rate, it should save us about 10 grand over the life of the loan it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
What effect do you all think that the end of the student loan pause will have on the economy at large? I’m guessing housing demand will go down and general spending and saving too. Maybe it will trigger a recession?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

No effect. People with student loan debt are generally higher earners and student loan payments are generally a very small portion of their monthly expenditures.

But isn’t it widely accepted that student plan burden is causing this generation to buy houses less and start families later?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

spwrozek posted:

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/704609 Here is an article on home ownership. I didn't read the whole thing but I would also point out that a lot of people didn't buy houses young so they could move around and change jobs easier.

I am not sure student loans have as much to do with delaying having kids. Everyone seems to want to delay the kids these days for a variety of reasons. I am guessing there are papers out there that point to an impact though.

quote:

We instrument for the amount of individual student debt using changes to the in-state tuition rate at public 4-year colleges in the student’s home state. A $1,000 increase in student loan debt lowers the homeownership rate by about 1.8 percentage points for public 4-year college-goers during their mid-20s, equivalent to an average delay of about 4 months in attaining homeownership. Validity tests suggest the results are not confounded by local economic conditions or changes in educational outcomes.

drat. Cancel student debt!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Another question, if someone has debt being paid under income-driven repayment, and they get married, their cost will go up right? Because it will consider both incomes together.

I think that was always the case, but the new changes in IDR (that I guess go into effect in 2024) now let you calculate your payment just on the one party’s salary if you file your taxes separately. I don’t know how that gonna work, I.e. if you need to file separately in 2023 to have it work that way in 2024, but it’s something to keep your eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I think if you log in on studentaid.gov it will tell you who your servicer is link