Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Let me preface this by saying that yes, I know I'm an idiot and let this wait too long. In my defense, I only found out I was admitted a couple weeks ago.

That said, what should I be doing to get a Stafford loan for this fall (graduate level)? I have a FAFSA filed out and all that (a few months ago), but beyond that I'm completely bewildered as to what I need to be doing besides considering knocking over a bank.

Should I be going directly to a lender like Suntrust or something? Do I go through the school first or need to tell/get anything from them? This thing (PDF) kind of makes me think so? The school's financial aid website is supremely unhelpful in terms of telling me what on earth I need to do to actually get financial aid/loans. Help!

Also, even the maximum amount I can get for a Stafford loan would only barely cover tuition, in fact, I think it's like $35 short. How can I go about getting money to pay for highly important things like food, transportation, and shelter the internet whilst getting screwed as minimally as possible?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wiggy Marie posted:

You are correct. You have to know how much you're getting before you can start with a lender. However, you CAN start shopping around for your lender, and fill out a Master Promissory Note with them to expedite the processing for yourself.

So... where do I even start? How do I find out how much I'd be getting so I can start with a lender?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wiggy Marie posted:

IRQ, you would find out by calling your financial aid office and asking. Hopefully they can tell you over the phone. As for what lender you should choose, this website may help with that:

http://www.simpletuition.com

I guess the reason I was so confused was that they had yet to send me any information whatsoever. They finally got around to that Monday. And here I thought I was the one behind.

So now I'm in this boat:

Elotana posted:

I just got my financial aid offer for law school, and it's probably going to be more than I need, so I'm going to be adjusting some of the awards down. I can probably get away with eliminating or at least minimizing the portion that comes from unsubsidized Stafford loans, or the Grad Plus portion.

I do need at least part of the Grad Plus part, assuming that's a better option than a private loan? My credit is ok, as far as I know, but the potentially changing interest rates on private loans scares me a bit, plus you have to pay them off while you're still attending school and can't consolidate them. If all that's correct, then Grad Plus is the better way to go overall?