Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
This PSLF process is making me feel very dumb. Help please!

In June I completed 10 full years working as a public school teacher, so I started my PSLF paperwork shortly afterward. It took a couple of tries to get my current employer to fill out their form, so I didn't get an answer from MOHELA until about a month ago.

Their first message, from 10/09/2023 just confirming payment counts:

Not sure why the payments are out of sync by 3... my teaching career started 08/2013 and I changed employers last summer so I was not employed for 07/2022 and 08/2022. But that's only 2 months. Not sure if this is a huge deal anyway.

Second message, from 10/10/2023 saying I'm not yet eligible:

Question on this one: Loan sequence 2 and 3 have 121 eligible payments, but the message says I'm not yet eligible... does that mean they won't forgive those two until the third one is eligible in a couple months?

And current payment tracker on the MOHELA website:

So, my gut feeling is that I make my two payments on loan sequence 1 and then recertify my employment in January or so, and then hopefully get my forgiveness processed soon after? Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW

Ol' Limber Legs posted:

This PSLF process is making me feel very dumb. Help please!

In June I completed 10 full years working as a public school teacher, so I started my PSLF paperwork shortly afterward. It took a couple of tries to get my current employer to fill out their form, so I didn't get an answer from MOHELA until about a month ago.

Their first message, from 10/09/2023 just confirming payment counts:

Not sure why the payments are out of sync by 3... my teaching career started 08/2013 and I changed employers last summer so I was not employed for 07/2022 and 08/2022. But that's only 2 months. Not sure if this is a huge deal anyway.

Second message, from 10/10/2023 saying I'm not yet eligible:

Question on this one: Loan sequence 2 and 3 have 121 eligible payments, but the message says I'm not yet eligible... does that mean they won't forgive those two until the third one is eligible in a couple months?

And current payment tracker on the MOHELA website:

So, my gut feeling is that I make my two payments on loan sequence 1 and then recertify my employment in January or so, and then hopefully get my forgiveness processed soon after? Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Update: 2 of my 3 loans were seem to have been forgiven in the last couple of days, but I haven't received any correspondence saying so. I just see that they have a negative balance adding up to the ~$25 payment I made in October before my forbearance kicked in. So...yay? Studentaid.gov still shows my full balance, but it's as of 12/31.

Turns out my 3rd loan was still in forbearance for a couple months after I started my first job, but it's hit 120 qualifying payments now too. Hopefully it doesn't take another 4 months to finally zero out.