Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is a fantastic thread and I appreciate the hell out of it. This information is going to help me quite a bit. That's all I wanted to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I manage my student loan through myfedloan.org. I've recently joined the fortunate - I paid off my loan a week ago. Zero balance. Celebrations are in order.

However, last night I received my monthly "your bill is due" notice. I'm told I have until 7/13 to make my next payment. I don't even have a "make payment" button on the website anymore. I could not be less worried about missing this phantom payment, but I'm curious, is there anything I should be doing to formally wrap up the loan?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Wiggy Marie posted:

First off, congratulations!

As for your question, how recently did you pay off the loan? It's possible the notice was sent before the payment was processed. Assuming the loan is paid in full and any accrued interest was also paid (the only thing you would want to double check on), they loan servicer will send you a "paid in full" letter soon. It wouldn't hurt to call to double check your balance, but it sounds like it was probably a timing issue.
I'll bet it's a timing issue - the payoff and the bill notice were only a few days apart. It's good to hear I can expect a paid in full letter. This is the first loan I've had/paid where there's not a Title on the other side of it. I didn't know if for a debt like this, if they'd sorta acknowledge our business is finished. Good to hear that they will, I want everything nice and official. I think if I receive a bill next month I'll contact them.