Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Wiggy Marie posted:

Once you've graduated, find and become employed by one of the many hospitals in the states that will make payments on your loans for you. Also, during your inevitable internship, there's a forbearance available just for you. Freakin' use it, and make payments toward your interest if you can.

nevermind, missed it

Medikit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I have a question regarding public service forgiveness. I had been planning on applying for this around 2019 when I will have made 120 consecutive payments on my Stafford Loans. Today I noticed that this may actually only apply to Federal DIRECT loans, and not to all Stafford loans. My federal stafford loans came from a private company so am I safe to assume that I do not have a "federal direct" stafford loan? In that case, is there any other public service forgiveness for my loans? I will be working for a non-profit company for the foreseeable future and was hoping to benefit from this.

Regarding public service forgiveness:
http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/siteresources/LoanForgivenessMarch18.pdf

Medikit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 24, 2011

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

blar posted:

Even if those Staffords don't qualify right now, you can consolidate them with the Department of Education which will allow you to use public service forgiveness after 10 years of payments. This is assuming they really are federal student loans and not private loans you mistakenly believe are Stafford loans.

Okay, I'll have to give them a call. They are stafford loans, I got them through CFNC. My first year's loan was actually consolidated that year via a popular loop hole that existed at that time so I'm not sure if they will consolidate those again.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Effexxor posted:

Also, they have to be either direct loans (Direct Stafford Subsidized) or be consolidated through Direct Loans' consolidation department (Their number is 1-800-557-7392 and eerily enough I now know that number by heart) so that your loans are Direct.

One more thing, you have to choose income based repayment.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I was thinking about applying for a consolidated loan for the 10 year service benefit (loans are forgiven after 10 years of working for a non-profit). Previously I rejected it because after adding my spouses income my monthly payments did not change significantly. However, I just realized that this would change if I file separately.

1. My first question is that if my wife and I file separately could I base my payments on having 3 in our household? (we have a daughter).

2. Also, would I lose all of my interest rate reductions currently offered by my current loan servicer? (This would only be an issue if I end up not qualifying for the 10 year service loan forgiveness).

3. Final question: If I filed taxes jointly last year but I'm filing separately this year how long would it take for this to effect my IBR monthly payment.

Medikit fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Never mind, I went ahead and cancelled the loan deferment.

Medikit fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 3, 2013