Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, my partner is trying to get her loan forgiven via public service loan forgiveness (she has been working as a therapist for 10 years, and has made payments for every month in that period, meeting the 120 month requirement). Her "employers" would be various insurance companies like Aetna, Blue Cross, etc. What would be her next steps? It's difficult because she has to have these health insurance companies verify her employment as an independent contractor in the state, and there's quite a few. Presumably they are non-profit but they would need to be to qualify.

the other thing is that some places aren't listed as eligible (like Blue Cross of MN) even though they are a non-profit. Well, they are for profit now, but they were non-profit up until 2020. She might need a resource at the state level to help with this.

I did find an attorney that specializes in this area, so that might be the way to go.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OK thank you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Another question, if someone has debt being paid under income-driven repayment, and they get married, their cost will go up right? Because it will consider both incomes together.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JackBandit posted:

I think that was always the case, but the new changes in IDR (that I guess go into effect in 2024) now let you calculate your payment just on the one party’s salary if you file your taxes separately. I don’t know how that gonna work, I.e. if you need to file separately in 2023 to have it work that way in 2024, but it’s something to keep your eye on.

thanks!

I'm guessing you could be married but file taxes separately? who knows

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what is MFS?

I've also read that if you get married, you don't take on part of your spouse's student loan debt if you get divorced, unless you're in one of a few states. But that if that debt is refinanced during marriage, the spouse may be partially responsible for it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks. she's on the 25 year repayment plan - did the three "covid years" count for that, even if they weren't required to make payments? i know the interest during that period is forgiven at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

unfortunately most of the debt my partner has is from graduate school which isn't really affected? it stays at 10% while undergraduate was cut to 5%