Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Okay, so Trump's EO pausing student loans... I can only imagine how this is going to gently caress with PSLF eligibility and calculations.

I'm hoping it just extends what's already going on for another 3 months. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

It is apparently official now that this is an extension of everything from the CARES Act and it should be another 3 months of non-payments that are eligible towards PSLF: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus?sf127024218=1

https://twitter.com/fafsa/status/1296088247878266881?s=21
https://twitter.com/FAFSA/status/1296107201002700807

hahaha thank you, Papa Trump.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's also kind of an interesting time. I don't see Trump signing another EO to extend student loan forbearance past December, so presumably we go back to paying starting January 1st, however Biden has made some noise about wanting to change things. Guess we'll see.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Today is finally the day I am able to submit my final PSLF form! Knowing the Dept of Ed wants a wet signature on things, I ask our HR director to please print, sign, and then scan the document back in to me.

She is working from home and her scanner is broken. :negative:

So jealous.

I'm switching jobs to a non-PSLF eligible job, approximately 1.3 years before my 10 year PSLF period.

:negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

On the upside the clock stops but your progress isn't eliminated so you could always change jobs again and resume the process down the road......? :unsmith:

True, but the way my PSLF is staggered, I have 120k or so in loans forgiven in May 2023, with the final 40-50k forgiven in 2026. With my current IBR payments of $2k/month, I'd be banking on making an additional 20 payments/40k or so, getting the 120k forgiven, and then having to pay off the final 40-50k without forgiveness because the payments are large enough that the remaining amount is done by 2026 anyways, so I'm "only" missing out on...80k or so of actual forgiveness if I give up PSLF.

My plan is to see if there's some last minute forgiveness thrown to borrowers before the October 2021 deadline. If not, I'll likely refinance from 6.8% down to the 2-3% rates I've been seeing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

remigious posted:

From your avatar I assume you are a doctor?

Yes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JackBandit posted:

Any updates on this, are you still feeling like it’s the right decision? I’m in exactly the same bit and it’s looking like the student loan forebearance is not going to get extended so I’m thinking about refinancing at the low rate, it should save us about 10 grand over the life of the loan it looks like.

February now! :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Hell yeah that rules.

Also as of today FedLoan has certified all my loans as having 120(+) eligible payments under PSLF! :toot:

Congrats!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I fall in to this camp, since I lost 2 years of PSLF payments back when I consolidated loans that were only technically eligible for PSLF after consolidation.

It's gonna make it that much more painful when I'm ineligible for PSLF by <1 year of payments. :v:

Maybe partial PSLF will be on the table, or potentially reclassifying more medical jobs as public service.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I fall in to this camp, since I lost 2 years of PSLF payments back when I consolidated loans that were only technically eligible for PSLF after consolidation.

It's gonna make it that much more painful when I'm ineligible for PSLF by <1 year of payments. :v:

Maybe partial PSLF will be on the table, or potentially reclassifying more medical jobs as public service.

:sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My wife has nine years of payments into the PSLF progarm and while the I think the only effect of these changes for us is to get back one month of payments that was literally late by days, I have to say the whole DoE loans programs is unbelievably predatory. In fact, I'm pretty certain we're 4-6 months ahead of the official count and I have records of every payment submitted and paper bank statements showing each withdrawal for ten years, so I suppose it's soon time to count those all up and upload statements.

Here's the part I never understood: She has 13 DoE loans, they all go through the same servicer and we get a single monthly statement. Of these, only nine are eligible for PSLF, while the other four are "PLUSGB" (?), Stafford, and Stafford unsubsidized. Despite being not eligible for PSLF we've never been able to consolidate those loans or direct payments specifically towards them. With interest rates between 6.8% and 8.5% we basically still owe the entire principal of those loans, and so will still have a big chunk of debt even after forgiveness.

I assume these policy changes don't apply to those loan types, but what's the most sensible thing to do here? I assume continue to make payments (once they resume) and then once forgiveness comes through immediately consolidate and refinance them?

Part of what makes this predatory is that we didn't learn these four loans were ineligible for PSLF (or maybe more accurately, that we couldn't do anything with them while we had other PSLF-eligible loans) for the first four years we made payments. It was only when her servicer changed from Great Lakes to FedLoans did we actually get a count of eligible payments to date and learn those were included but ineligible. If we had known that in 2012 we might've opted to consolidate/refinance them immediately and abandon PSLF, but since we didn't the back-of-the-envelope math I did in 2016 suggested we might break even, even after forgiveness. Of course, COVID/the CARES act changes that balance a bit in our favor, which is perhaps the only good thing I can say about all this.

Are the Stafford loans federal loans? They should qualify for PSLF, or at least should be able to be consolidated into Direct Loans, which should make them eligible for PSLF.

I'll echo the predatoriness of the entire program though. It was only years later that I realized that through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program, private lenders gave out "Federal" Stafford loans, which although technically federal loans, weren't eligible for PSLF unless they were consolidated afterwards into direct loans. Only a few of my loans fell in to this category, but it meant that my years of making payments on these loans didn't count towards PSLF until I consolidated them.

If these changes go through, that'd be fantastic, even though I switched jobs this summer to a non 501c3 job. Part of that calculus was that PSLF wouldn't save me a ton of money because of those additional years of ineligible payments. :sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chu020 posted:

Signed into FedLoan because I got a message that they had reviewed my account again under the recent Dept of Ed waiver. Message says I've got 8 payments to go. But then I notice that my loan balance is 0 and so I'm like did they move my loans to another servicer or something and just not tell me.

Call them today, and they tell me to look in my message inbox on the site and there's another message that was sent today

Praise be, the system works!

Congrats!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nesbit37 posted:

Definitely make sure you take advantage of the waiver if you haven't already. Because of it I hit my 10 year limit for PSFL in January and my $70+K in debt was just gone. Its nice.

Just curious: if my loans that didn’t qualify got consolidated in 2016 and began qualifying then, is there anything for me to do?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Goodpancakes posted:

I refinanced my loans to the State bank of North Dakota. Now I'm 5 years into a public service job. Whoops

The COVID waivers recalculated my payment numbers and technically, all of my student loans are eligible for forgiveness at the end of the year.

1 year ago I switched to a non-PSLF eligible job.

Whoops.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Unfortunately she may have a tough time qualifying for PSLF. If she was an independent contractor (ie, got paid on a 1099) she likely won’t qualify. If she was a w2 employee, she needs to have worked for a non-profit, ie most likely a 501c3. Most of the insurance companies you listed are for profit. Aetna, for example, almost certainly doesn’t qualify.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

trip9 posted:

Quick dumb question: Student loan interest begins accruing again on Sept 1st, so if you were planning on paying off a big chunk of your loans, you'd want to do that before then, correct?

Yes.

I hope those assholes are happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Last fall when interest resumed I paid off my student loans. I still haven't gotten a paid in full letter or my interest overpayment of ~$600.

I finally called Mohela today. After being bounced around a few times and 1.5 hours on the phone, they told me they had to manually request an overpayment check for amounts greater than $100, which would take 60-90 days, and only then would I get the letter.

Surprisingly, the rep was confused when I asked him whether I'd be getting $600 + interest due since the fall.