Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I'm in a similar situation, except I'm an undergraduate. My parents make too much money for me to qualify for all kinds of financial aid even though they don't give me any help whatsoever on my tuition. Is there any way to prove this and get them to take of the "$21,000/year" of expected family contribution that I'm not getting one red cent of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
The thread is enormous. What can you tell me about looking for loan consolidation, especially if some of my loans are serviced by different institutions?

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

After spending five years in college borrowing money willy-nilly like it grew on trees and I'd never have to deal with this poo poo, I'm now in the predicament to which such behavior inevitably leads.

Namely, my loans are going into repayment and I'm finding out one at a time to whom I owe money and how much as they go past due and they contact me. Apparently I have loans serviced by Sallie Mae, AES, and now Direct Loans (whoever that is). I'm employed and able to make loan payments (barely), but I'm bothered by the fact that I don't know to whom I owe money and how much until they come out of the woodwork to ask me to pay up.

Since my financial situation is pretty much a big question mark and I did absolutely nothing to keep track of my loans or how much money I was borrowing that whole time, and I now want to be more responsible and try to undo the damage: Is there anything else I can do to piece together who, exactly, I owe money to and how much, so that I can budget my money? Or am I destined to find out only after they send me to collections and these people track me down?

Like a dumbass, I never saved any of the correspondence they sent me so I don't have a paper trail to go on. Does anyone have advice on where I could start to piece this history together and figure out the sum of my debts?

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Skycks posted:

Your credit report? I mean, if you are paying on any of them or are getting notices that they are past due, there is a 99.9999% chance they are reporting that to the credit agencies, so a quick look at your credit report will show you all of them.
Right, I know about the ones that I'm getting notices on. My question is about how I can go about discovering any other loans that haven't gone into repayment yet, and hence I wouldn't have received any communication about.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

I just sent this novel of an email to customerservice@salliemae.com and advocate@salliemae.com. It took me this long to document their stupidity. The purpose of my posting it in entirety is half bitching and seeking commiseration, and half asking for advice.

quote:

Hello,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXX. My account number is XXXXXXX and I am currently repaying loans serviced by Sallie Mae. This writing is in response to the electronic correspondence you sent to me on 8/29, attached as "ecorrespondenceXXXXXX.pdf". For your records, the purpose of this correspondence to you is to inform you that that letter does not address the concerns I raised in my call to your customer service line, and to state in writing the details of my situation and the repeated mishandling of my automatic debits by Sallie Mae over the past several months.

For much of the past few years, I have made payments on my loans via online banking. Checks were automatically sent to Sallie Mae and deposited on the first of each month in the amount of $416.64. (See attached spreadsheet salliemae.csv for a transaction history dating back to September 2011.)

In spite of the consistency and convenience of this system, I was eventually attracted by the promise on your website of the possibility of an interest rate reduction if I signed up for your automatic debit program. I applied in early May.

On 5/23/12, you wrote informing me that my application for automatic debit had been approved. Your letter explained that the monthly payment amount would be $414.48, and the first withdrawal would be 6/22/12. (attached ecorresposdenceXXXXXXX.pdf)

On 6/1/12, my bank sent you an automatic payment in the amount of $416.64. Because of my own error, I had forgotten to cancel the payments from my bank. I canceled the automatic bank payments after this check was deposited, knowing that I would be paying ahead when you charged my account on 6/22.

On 6/22/12, you debited my account in the amount of $306.51. Since the account was now paid ahead due to the extra check described above, this did not trigger any delinquency on the account nor any notices to me that an insufficient amount had been charged.

On 7/22/12, I received correspondence from you notifying me that my automatic payment scheduled for 8/22 would be in the amount of $413.81 (ecorrespondence289334884.pdf).

On 7/23/12, you debited my account in the amount of $306.51. This would be the first charge that triggered a delinquency.

On 7/24/12, the next calendar day, you sent me electronic correspondence notifying me that my automatic payment scheduled for 8/22 would be in the amount of $413.70. (ecorrespondenceXXXXXXXX.pdf)

On 7/27/12 at 8:04 AM, I received an automated call from Sallie Mae to notify me that my account was past due. The call went to voicemail, and I returned it at 12:23 PM. Your customer service representative noted the discrepancy between your correspondence and the actual charge and assured me of the following facts: that the error was with Sallie Mae, that I could disregard the collection call, that the delinquency would not be sent to credit reporting, and that the problem would be corrected. I disconnected from the call satisfied that the matter was settled.

On 8/22/12, you debited my account in the amount of $305.73.

On 8/27/12 at 9:03 AM, I received an automated call from Sallie Mae to notify me that my account was past due. The call went to voicemail, and I returned it at 4:08 PM. Again, your customer service representative acknowledged the fault was with Sallie Mae and made the same assurances to me as had been made in my previous call on 7/27.

On 8/28/12, I logged on to the Sallie Mae website to check the status of my account and to confirm that the problem had indeed been corrected. I noted that your website warned that my account was now delinquent by 6 days, so I placed a call to your customer service line at 1:25 PM to address the issue. The customer service representative volunteered to involve her supervisor in investigating the problem. With both of them on the line, I was informed, for the third time, that the problem would be corrected. I asked to have sent to me, in writing, a letter acknowledging that the delinquency was caused by a billing error on the part of Sallie Mae and detailing the steps that had been taken to resolve the recurring problems. They agreed.

On 8/29/12, I received electronic correspondence from Sallie Mae titled "These options may help make your payments more manageable" (attached ecorrespondenceXXXXXXX.pdf). The letter thanked me for "reaching out to us regarding your situation and what repayment options may be available for your federal student loan(s)." It suggested various repayment plans, as well as deferment and forbearance.

It goes without saying that this correspondence did not fulfill promises made and failed to address any of the concerns I had raised in my many previous interactions with your company in this matter. As of this writing, my account is still showing delinquent in spite of various persons representing your company making repeated verbal assurances to the contrary. I am continuing to receive automated collections calls, in spite of your promises that I would not.

Your website warns "Being delinquent is very serious" and that "Your delinquency can be reported to all national credit bureaus and could impact financing of any future purchase, such as a home or an automobile." I have made every reasonable effort to keep my account up to date and to avoid the consequences of delinquency. In spite of these good faith efforts, recurring billing errors by Sallie Mae and your repeated failures to correct those errors have left me helpless.

I believe I am owed compensation for any interest accrued on amounts not paid during this period, for any liabilities or penalties associated with my supposed delinquency, and for negative credit reporting that has taken place, if any. Furthermore, I believe I am entitled to the promised interest rate reduction for enrolling in automatic debit.

Please respond with your proposed course of action and a timeline for resolution soon as possible.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This situation would make Kafka proud. Is there anything else I can do to get this fixed short of canceling and going back to bill-pay (and consequently not get the baited lower interest rate), or better yet get free of Sallie Mae entirely? I'm sure they'll have a few :lol:s at my presumption that I'm entitled to anything but being bent over by the insane machinations of their incompetent bureaucracy. :bang:

celestial teapot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 29, 2012

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah, I worked in a call center for a year and a half and I more or less already internalized the lessons in the cracked article about it. I'm always polite to people on the phone because I know they guy on the other end of the line has very little power and even less responsibility for the problem.

I had to write this letter because they've known about this for two complete billing cycles now. The answer really does seem to be "It'll get fixed when it gets fixed, so just live with it", but the answer they give me over the phone is "this will be corrected in the next few days, no further action is required on your part" followed by a collections call. My thought was that if I wrote a semi-angry email it might (a) eventually get forwarded up to a manager or someone who could really fix it or (b) help me to have a record in writing in case they try to sue me or something insane like that.

The reason I want the interest is that looking back on it their auto-debit actually has been billing me less than my minimum payments. So I went ahead and paid what I owed with a check just to get them to go away, but that still puts me behind a few hundred bucks in payments from last month when the CSR was able to somehow just make it go away for 30 days. Really, what I want more than anything is for it to be fixed. I have plenty of money and actually want to start paying ahead for real once I get this bs sorted out and can readjust my monthly budgets. I definitely don't understand the point of having to figure out what "extra" amount I need to send on top of their auto-debit every month. If I have to do that I might as well go back to what I was doing. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

quote:

:spam:

Make sure Sallie Mae makes it to your inbox by adding CustomerService@SallieMae.com as a contact. Instructions on how to add us can be found here.

Please do not respond to this automated message. Emails sent to this address are not monitored.

Bulk emails from CustomerService@salliemae.com, and emails to that address are unmonitored. :reject: