Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have various loans with various lenders. Fedloan has the bulk of my loans and they are on an IBR plan that will be forgiven in 10 years under PSLF. I have some private loans around $10,000 that I need to start aggressively paying down now that I can afford to. Then I have the weird loans I want to ask about. These are FFEL subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans (3 total) with a balance of approximately 13,000. What am I supposed to be doing with these loans? I currently pay $20 a month towards them because they qualify for income based repayment and the amount I owe on these loans is drastically lower than the rest of my IBR Loans (the ones eligible for PSLF).

Should I be trying to pay these loans now? Continue paying the minimum and wait for forgiveness 25 year forgiveness? I don't even know how that would work after the larger chunk of debt is forgiven in 10 years. Consolidate with my private loans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If I schedule a payment on Fedloan for the due date and for no reason at all they don't process that payment til the next day, is it late?

Because if it is I'm going to be furious

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have a lot of debt (125+) thats a few years from forgiveness and about 14k that's not pslf eligible and has been receiving minimum payments as part of the IBR.

Can I consolidate the 14k with the just smallest of my loans (1700) on the pslf track only to make them eligible for forgiveness someday? I'm still not sure on the math of it being worth it or not, but it seems likely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I dug more. If I'm reading this right you have to apply and be denied because you aren't on idr first

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service/temporary-expanded-public-service-loan-forgiveness#how-qualify

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 22, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm a dummy who put off refinancing way too long is it better to do it right now or wait for the stock market a bit longer?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I took some more credit hours in community college and now they are putting me in deferment. is this going to interfere with the free pslf credit I got for making payments that I wasn't making due to the pandemic?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do you keep paying until the forgiveness is approved or can you just stop at 120.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do any of these changes let me count payments made for the 8 months I worked for a Board of Elections as a 40 hours per week temp? That has been annoying.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do 40 hour/wk temps get qualifying months like 30/hr part timers? That extra 8 months would be real nice on top of this extra 15k in consolidations. I'm less than 20 months now! :toot:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If I consolidate do I need to seek forgiveness by 2022 or just have completed a form to get qualifying payments checked off?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
All this is why when I consolidated my loans I only included the ones that normally would not be forgiven and of the smallest of my various undergrad loans. That way if I gently caress this up I'm only out forgiveness on $2,000.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't know that it's fraud if he just has other money and it's not income he is supposed to have considered for that debt.

What if he donates his pay back to the NP?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can i still get refinanced loans forgiven through tefpspl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Baronash posted:

Has anyone had success with the double consolidation strategy that seems to exist for Parent Plus loans? Apparently by consolidating parent plus loans, and then doing it again into a single loan at a new servicer, you (or I guess your parents) gain access to all of the IDR plans rather than just ICR.

The information looks pretty consistent across seemingly-legit sources, and people elsewhere on the internet have reported success, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and if there are any pitfalls to be aware of? My partner and I are taking over payments on our parent plus loans once the pause ends, and I'm trying to understand our options.

I consolidated something under the temporary expansion that I wouldn't have been allowed to before and now it's on the 120/120 list. Ill check that it was a parent plus later but I'm pretty sure it was and easy.