Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clickman
Feb 7, 2004
Moo, says the chocolate-flavored porpoise!
I'm going back to school for a semester against my wishes, and I just got the financial aid revision in the mail today, a day before I leave. I'm getting hit with another loan, a federal unsubsidized Stafford loan for $1312 through HESC. I currently have a $2678.89 subsidized Stafford loan through Sallie Mae at 7.14%. The likely scenario is that I'm going to end up accepting it to avoid drama and having to disown my family. :smith: That puts me at about $3990.89 in the hole. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, but I want to get rid of that debt before going anywhere else. I was reading through the paperwork for the unsubsidized Stafford, and read this:

quote:

In addition, volunteers who complete service in an approved national or community service project can earn an educational award. The award can be used to repay a Federal Stafford Loan. If I receive an educational award, I am responsible for providing my lender with information and documentation regarding my term of service and the award.

This sounds like Americorp., and looking through their site, they make it sound like it'll all last ten months, they'll provide enough to cover basic living expenses (so I wouldn't pick up debt while there in order to get by), and I'd walk out with $4725 written off of loans that I can claim within seven years if I did full time Americorp NCCC. I have experience in organizing disaster relief at both field and administrative levels, and I know that's something that I enjoy doing. Does this sound realistic, or is there something hidden? This sounds very good right now, since it'd take care of everything I have now, with a few hundred left over if I go back to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU