Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perihare
Mar 12, 2004
pika pika!
What would you suggest for an incoming undergrad freshman whose EFC falls $20,000+ below what is realistically affordable?

It's okay if you don't know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perihare
Mar 12, 2004
pika pika!

Wiggy Marie posted:

At the risk of sounding like a retard, I can honestly say I have no idea how to interpret your question. Your EFC falls 20000+ below what is affordable? Meaning your parents can't contribute approximated 20000+? Or the EFC which was reflected on the Financial Aid Awards package is 20000+ higher than what they will contribute? Help a tired confused female here. :)

Sorry, I was reeling from sticker shock :)

I was accepted to my first choice college ED, sent in the FAFSA, and received back an EFC of approximately $40k. My parents can only put up $20k at the absolute maximum, largely because my brother is attending a private high school that takes up the remaining $20k of the EFC.
Obviously there wasn't any section on the FAFSA that takes that into account, so we told the college about it but they're unable to produce any more need-based aid. Therefore, I'm short $20k on tuition for the school I really want to go to.

My question is, what are the loan options for a student who lacks that kind of money? Is it even worth pursuing loans for that large an amount? Plan B right now is to withdraw and go to community college for a year, but it's a very distant option right now.

perihare
Mar 12, 2004
pika pika!

Wiggy Marie posted:

A_passerby, would your parents consider a PLUS loan under any circumstances? I know nobody likes to take loans out in their name, but if you end up using an alt loan, they'd probably still be attached to it, and a federal loan is better than an alt loan by about a million strides.

Also, what school? I know Drexel's finaid awards often look like TOTAL: RAPE!, but they (generally) offer scholarships and such out the wazoo to try and make up for it. Give me the school, and I'll see what I can find for ya. If you're paying that much for education, I'm gonna assume it's freakin' worth it.

It's Carnegie Mellon University; their cost estimate is around $50k, and they've kicked in $10k worth of grants to cover my EFC-based need. I'm talking to both the university and my brother's private school to see what options are available, but it looks like neither of them are being very flexible right now.