Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
I just graduated this December and have a loan total a bit under $30,000. I tried consolidating with All Student Loan, only to receive a letter stating my in-school loans at the time could not be included.

Should I try consolidating with the North Texas Higher Education company you mentioned? I don't know what my loan status is as of now, and I haven't received any paperwork requesting payments so I don't know when or how much I need to start forking over. Is it possible they won't come calling until May?

To add to this, I have a mix of Stafford unsubsidized and private loans through my school. Where can I find out how much I owe to each loan office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackjack
May 22, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Blackjack: Yes, consolidate with NTHEA if at all possible. That's a blanket recommendation, and it definitely applies to you, too.

If you're in grace, they could start the process for you. If your loans still show on the in-school deferment, you might need to get the school to send updated notification to have them placed in grace - and then you can consolidate.

It has them listed as deferred. I probably won't have a job until the end of the month, so would it be better for me to wait until I can begin payments, then ask the school to send notification, then consolidate?

Also, my private school loans don't appear on my credit report. They were done through the institution I attended, so is this typical?

Thank you both, lewisje and Wiggy. I'm a bit :downs: when it comes to my loans.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

With the recent cut in interest rates, how do you think the rates for student loans will change? If I remember correctly, they aren't usually revised until the summer.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

What's the best way to ascertain whether Income Based Repayment, Pay As You Earn, or Income-Contingent Repayment is best for me? I've got zero income at the moment while I prepare to move overseas for work, which is probably a 6 month process. After that, my income will probably stay pretty freaking small for at least 2 years?

I'm carrying $34,000 worth of eligible loans, and $13,000 institutional, which I don't think I have any options for. Also, since these loans have a couple of years of repayment already into them with deferments and such as well, does that count against the 20 or 25 year loan period, or am I starting from square one as of applying for IBR, PAYE or ICR?

blackjack
May 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

You start from square one, but your current plan doesn't carry any of the payments forward either.

IBR has better terms but requires you to file for hardship. ICR has worse terms but you can just do it with a request. Pay As You Earn seems better than both, but only applies to new borrowers (because if you got to graduate into the recession market, gently caress you!).

I think I'll qualify pretty handily for that. Thank you. :)