Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Ok, my Pell/Stafford (subsidized)/FAFSA business will not be enough to makes ends meet this year (senior rush to get all my classes and get the gently caress out), and I've been applying to private/alt loans. So far, I've been turned down for each I've applied to (two total, I don't want to impact my credit too much). My mom has also applied for a PLUS, and has been denied also. Other than fastweb, what are my options? I heard something about a $5000 loan I can get if my parent is denied the PLUS, but I have no idea what it's called or who does it. Help?

Edit to add that the grand total of loans etc that I owe is less than 4500 over my school career.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Wiggy Marie posted:

Teknicolor, first of all, congrats on such small debt in your name so far. That's only good for your health.

If you hadn't already received the total stafford loans you're eligible for, with the PLUS denial you may be able to take out more. Have you contacted the finaid office about that yet? See what they say, or let me know if you've already hit your aggregate limit, and we shall see.

I'm at my agg limit for sub. Stafford loans, but not for unsub, since I've never had need for them. I'll talk to my finaid office tomorrow to inquire. I'm sure the 5000$ loan they were talking about is an unsub. Stafford.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Wiggy Marie posted:

So how'd it go? Curious eyes are dying to know!

It was an unsub Stafford, I'll get it automatically as soon as Wells Fargo gives the information to my finaid office, so I'll be getting an extra 2500 this semester. It isn't anywhere near what I need, so I guess I'll keep my full-time job too. :(
Every little bit helps though. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

arkiteKt posted:

http://tinyurl.com/37gth4

Wow talk about arrogant. :(

OK Wiggy, I talked to you ages ago about student loan stuff when I was still in school. Now, I'm out of school, and safely able to pay back my debt (I worked my rear end off and only came out with slightly more than 20K in debt :hellyeah: )

I'm not having any problems paying back my loans now, but I'm interested in consolidating, or locking in the low % rate I have on some of my loans. All of my loans are Stafford, some subsidized and others not. I think most have the 6.8% rate, and the other the variable rate which, when I checked today, was still 4.210%. Who should I look to for consolidation, or should I even bother right now, with the economic crisis as it is? Nelnet posted something about a rate change in the future, so I'm worried I'm going to lose the good rate I have.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Which is preferable in the majority of cases: consolidation, or IBR?

In my case, I *can* afford to pay what I'm paying now, but is is a significant strain on the finances. In fact, I'm paying a little more than the minimum (rounding to the next hundred), and at my current rate I should be paid off in 4 more years rather than 7. I'm assuming then that consolidation would probably be best for me, but IBR would knock my payments down to about half what they currently are.

In any case my plan is to call Nelnet tomorrow morning and ask them to help me with my options.

e: guess consolidation isn't an option: "Effective 10:00 p.m. (Eastern) on January 23, 2008, Nelnet no longer offers its customers the federal consolidation loan product."

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 13, 2011

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Zantie posted:

Just a head's up for anyone with a loan or has had a loan with Nelnet, their Kwikpay system went haywire and billed everyone who's ever been set up with them a monthly payment. To give you all an idea of how huge this is, my only loan with them was paid in full over a year ago. Still, it does remind me to delete bank info for the other loan companies I've paid off.

The customer service rep said this happened to everyone and was an error on their part. Two ways to get a refund; either fax/mail them a copy of your bank statement with the unauthorized debit circled or dispute it with your bank. She said they can't send anything official out saying it's their bad, just that they will confirm it's unauthorized when your bank asks them. I have no idea how true that is so I just took a screen cap of the chat log.

Oh man I saw this today and freaked out. My loans went into deferment last month since I'm back in school, and now that I'm unemployed its even more important that I DON'T make any unnecessary payments. The rep I chatted with online said there was no way to reverse the charge though. I will try calling my bank to dispute the charge, and report back with my results, thanks a lot for the heads up!

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I just talked to my bank, and they said if I disputed it with them (rather than Nelnet), there would be some Indemnity something or other, where if they said it was valid they could sue my rear end. I guess I'll just leave well enough alone. :/

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Wiggy Marie posted:

I want to make sure I understand your situation: You had a payment withdrawn while you weren't in repayment, and were told by the Nelnet representative *and* your bank that it couldn't be disputed?

If that's correct, well, that's bullshit. You need to call the servicing agency immediately. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the rep gives you the same story. Go as high as needed to get it fixed. They withdrew funds when they shouldn't have, and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to refund that money.

If that's incorrect, sorry for the misunderstanding!

My loans are in deferment, but this was supposed to be the first month I didn't make a payment. I signed into my Nelnet account a few weeks ago when I got the deferment email to make sure I had kwikpay turned off, and I thought I did. When I checked my account on the 17th and contacted Nelnet, the representative I talked to said I had kwikpay turned ON, which withdrew the money despite deferment (as it is supposed to if you have it turned on). The problem is did I have it turned off like I thought I did or not? I can't really say with 100% certainty so I'm just not going to bother. Money paid toward my student loans is money well enough spent, and it shouldn't happen next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
As much as Obama's SOTU address talked about getting people back in school to finish their degrees, and training people to work new jobs, they really are screwing the pooch with all these new "adjustments" :/