Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm going to enter grad school in Fall of 2007, although I've yet to receive financial offers. I also haven't received my W2s yet (:argh: Purdue :argh: ). Anyway, once I get them, can I apply for a Stafford loan regardless of whatever the univerisities offer? If I do this, would it be a good idea to put the money in an interest-yielding account or mutual fund and then pay it off and pocket the interest when it comes time to pay? Is this even possible, and if so, is it a horrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I was accepted to graduate school, which means that I get like $8000 in subsidized loans from the government. How do I go about actually getting those loans? I filled out the FAFSA and stuff, but I have no idea how to make sure that I get a fat check when classes start.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Forrest, two questions before I answer your question:

1. Is the 8500.00 what you've actually been offered on your awards package? If so, this is the amount the school will certify - you have already applied for Staffords by filling out the FAFSA, the awards package from the school is that amount you've been determined eligible for.

2. Does the 8500.00 satisfy your total financial need?

1. I have no idea. I haven't received anything financial aid related since I filled out my FAFSA, with the exception of my "Hey, you got a fellowship!" notice. How do I find out what my awards package looks like?

2. Most definitely. I have a pretty nice fellowship that takes care of all my money problems; I'm just hoping to get the $8500 to make things easier on me.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Forrest, how much was offered to you in the end?

I won't know until the beginning of July. I don't really need the loans, since I do have funding from my department, but an extra few thousand bucks would make life much easier, seeing that after rent I'll be getting $640/month, which has to account for food, utilities, and books for my girlfriend and I (she doesn't need books, though). It's not much, but I've been worse off. I have my fingers crossed!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 24, 2007

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hi!

It's the middle of August, but my university still hasn't told me whether or not I'll be receiving a loan. Are students who receive fellowships (full tuition & fees + a stipend) generally barred from receiving loans? I thought that all grad students got an $8500 subsidized Stafford, but it seems like that might be wrong. One of the people in the office told me that I was "fully funded," but my stipend leaves $320/month left over for electric (which is apparently high in CA), books, and food after rent.

I've emailed the Financial Aid office, but they haven't answered yet.

Thanks for all your help!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 15, 2014

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Syncopator posted:

It's not unheard of for grad students to get food stamps:sigh:

What are the residency requirements for that?

edit: vv cool, thanks

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I thought I'd update with my findings. My institution only offers financial aid for cost of attendance, not living expenses. Since my fellowship covers the cost of attending and then some, I can't get any loans that remotely go through the school, including Stafford loans.

Oh well!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 15, 2014